Vientiane Paranoia

I thought I would post this here, as it is looks to be a genuine report. The levels of paranoia seem to have reached maximum levels. Perhaps it's to be avoided in the future for various type of visas (or go prepared).

20191107_105914.jpg

Edited by lkv
  • Thanks 1

To clarify further, this is the first non O, coming after an METV with likely "heavy usage" and some exempts. Point being, Vientiane is now scrutinising way more than they did in the past.

7 minutes ago, SteveK said:

So it appears that they are demanding a Thai bank statement thinking that there is no way you could have one. So it's a deliberately obstructive practice. Then when you surprise them and produce one, they want more paperwork and have more questions.

Basically, they wanted to know how she supported herself on her long previous stay (METV) (i.e. not working), and proof that the funds came from overseas (Australia).

Also, she's young.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Can't even volunteer and work for free to help people in poverty without possibly being turned away...

Read post #2. METV + "few visa exempts..." 

Maybe extended perhaps not. Sounds like been Los 9+ months. Just as well didn't apply for ed visa.

Maybe volunteer in the next ed visa.

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Read post #2. METV + "few visa exempts..." 

Maybe extended perhaps not. Sounds like been Los 9+ months. Just as well didn't apply for ed visa.

Maybe volunteer in the next ed visa.

Previous history

20191107_112935.jpg

Edited by lkv

36 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Can't even volunteer and work for free to help people in poverty without possibly being turned away...

She can and is volunteering and she did get a volunteer visa .

Anyone abusing the system will get refused if caught

29 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Sounds like been Los 9+ months.

METV stretched to likely almost 9 months (last entry extended, likely all previous), plus 30 day visa exempt at border (October 8 to November now). So 10 months tourism and now applying for non O volunteer.

Edited by lkv

48 minutes ago, SteveK said:

So it appears that they are demanding a Thai bank statement thinking that there is no way you could have one. So it's a deliberately obstructive practice. Then when you surprise them and produce one, they want more paperwork and have more questions.

Probably they wanted to see Her Thai bank accounts to see whether shes received any payment for working in Thailand 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lkv said:

METV stretched to likely almost 9 months (last entry extended, likely all previous), plus 30 day visa exempt at border (October 8 to November now). So 10 months tourism and now applying for non O volunteer.

Think op also asked about the 2 visa exempt per calendar year border. Each of which can be extended by 30. Best save those for after the non o volunteer. 

Hell how long does that up to. 

Nice new plan. 

Just never fly in.

If she hadn't mentioned her Thai bank account at all and had only shown a bank statement from her home country right away, she would have avoided the extra scrutiny in all likelihood.

I've never shown or mentioned my Thai bank accounts when applying for a visa - I'm not surprised that a Thai consular officer cannot fathom why a tourist and prospective volunteer would have one.

Edited by Caldera
Clarity
  • Like 2