Keep the calls coming - Swiss "Alien" arrested on 1,539 day overstay

webfact

1 hour ago, Dap said:

"Actually, I am so tired of them," 

I gotta' ask, do you actually know any overstayers?

Hmmm... why would you have to ask? Having problem understanding? Try to comprehend what you read instead. I wrote "Actually, I am so tired of them, that I would report if I knew any." I would say that is a big hint for you as a reader, that I at present time do not know any.

However, why is that a problem? I am not allowed to be tired of overstayers that I read about almost on a daily basis? Is that something that you made forbidden for me?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

The law is the law, and nobody have the right to decide what is more or less important regarding that book.

I don't agree with that.

The law is the law, regardless?

So if someone is violating the law by parking his car incorrectly, breaking the law, the law is the law, as you say! You are going to report them?

That's not my job! It shouldn't be yours either.

If someone is overstaying and supporting himself with some jobs here and there, what do I care?

It's immigrations job, not mine, not yours!

If it's with criminal activities, being abusive etc. ... it's still not my job, not my personal problem .. but yes, then it really is a topic which can be debated and could require some action from our side.

Overall, it's not my job in Thailand to report other Farangs.

18 minutes ago, Sonhia said:

The majority of Thai are racist.  Move on Thai, most of the civil world have / are..

I cannot tolerate racism because I was a victim of racism from Thais whilst in Thailand for 12 years, each and every day!

The overstay is illigal, but there is no need to mok the foreigner, which is very much a Thai thing and sums up the Thai, childish, mentally mind-set.  They have no respect or honour.

Not all Thai are bad, there are those few that have a mature and forward thinking attirude, but sadly the majority do not. They bite and view the hand that feeds them with contempt.

Other governments should treat Thai the way inwhich Thai treat foreigners in respect of ownership, employment, visa, double stabdard pricing and so on..

Why do people continue to visit such a negative race of people, apart from those who have dependants there, whom I feel very sorry for.

There are much better places on this planet which allow a foreigner to be part of a fair community, not treated as an ALIEN, ATM or BANK by means of fraud and extortion on a never ending daily basis.

Thailand paradise!! What a  joke...

I came here 25 years ago when the country was very different to today. Sure, the infrastructure has improved immeasurably, but demands on foreigners - whether because of racism or to punish the 99.999 percent who are good, law-abiding citizens for the wrong-doing of a few hundred 'aliens' - has made the country a very poor choice for long-termers. If I didn't have family here I'd have left long ago, and it's only going to get worse for us. The government very clearly has a policy to rid the country of all long-stay foreigners.

Generally the citizens are fine with us, most of the time, but those in uniform are increasingly looking for ways to make us feel unwelcome. It might be because if you spend just a couple of weeks in the country as a tourist then your rose-tinted glasses stay intact, but if you spend any length of time you see what a f***-*p place it really is. And we talk and write about it, and the uniforms don't take kindly to criticism, not from their own people and certainly not from us.

So I would strongly advise anyone thinking of moving to Thailand to retire or for any other long-term purpose, don't. As you say, there are plenty of alternatives that are far more welcoming.

1 hour ago, RedPill said:

But what do I care whether a guy is on overstay or not? That's his problem.

To report him ... well, that would be a real low class act! How does that make you a better & happier person?

It doesn´t make me better and happier in my own eyes. However, If I would report the ones I find out about, It might make a difference on the way they are looking at us.

Now they only see the overstayers and the ones that is breaking the law, and that leads to a negative view of the foreigners. If they see and hear from the ones that dislike the negativity same much they do, maybe that would change the views many Thais have got today.

5 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

''''they urged the public to continue to report offenders by phoning 1178."""  ?????

Using population to spy brings nothing good for the future of farang

How does the average Native Know if an Alien is on overstay? Ask for the Aliens Passport to check? what's this country turning into . ????

38 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Shall the general Thai population call the police everytime they see a foreigner?  How would anyone know another person has no legal right to be in the country?  Only my family know my legal status.  My neighbor doesn't,  Do your neighbors know  your visa status and why would they care as long as you are not doing anything illegal.

All Immigration has to do is check their entry databases and run/view it year by year to have a list of every overstayer.  Enforcement of Immigration law is NOT the job of the general public and in any civilized country would  be considered racicist to even suggest it.

No, they should not. Only the ones they know of or strongly suspect. Let´s say that a foreigner lives with girl friend or wife, and she do not know much about visa just because the foreigner does not talk about it or go on trips with or without her. She might have good connection to the neighbour, and the neigbour asks, talk to other people and somebody understand that things are not right. 

That´s just one example. There are millions of ways to finds out. It´s not racist. All that does not abuse the visa system or overstay have no problem. This regards breaking the law and not the color of your skin or religion as well as not the country you are coming from.

6 hours ago, Eligius said:

Note the disgustingly racist act of putting an 'alien' mask on the foreigner.

How low can the media Authorities stoop in their insults?!

And all this encouragement - incitement - to snitch on people. It's right out of Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Abhorrent.

Yes, the new Thai ministry created by Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang "Minipax" and using the new security system "telescreen" is certainly doing its job at rounding up over-stayers. ????????

8 minutes ago, RedPill said:

I don't agree with that.

The law is the law, regardless?

So if someone is violating the law by parking his car incorrectly, breaking the law, the law is the law, as you say! You are going to report them?

That's not my job! It shouldn't be yours either.

If someone is overstaying and supporting himself with some jobs here and there, what do I care?

It's immigrations job, not mine, not yours!

If it's with criminal activities, being abusive etc. ... it's still not my job, not my personal problem .. but yes, then it really is a topic which can be debated and could require some action from our side.

Overall, it's not my job in Thailand to report other Farangs.

The difference is that it become my problem, your problem and all foreigners problem. That by harder rules, more stringent controls and amendments to existing rules that make the hoops all people constantly talks about in this forum. 

That is not what happens if someone park their cars incorrectly ,as long as they no park where you have rented. Or maybe you are going to accept that too.

1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

Now they only see the overstayers and the ones that is breaking the law, and that leads to a negative view of the foreigners. If they see and hear from the ones that dislike the negativity same much they do, maybe that would change the views many Thais have got today.

I highly doubt that the root of negativity came from a few overstayers ... I doubt that the average person in a village cares about how the Farang got his visa, legal or illegal, as long as the money is there and he makes no problem, no Thai in the world would really care.

You know exactly yourself that through history, every person in Thailand is fully aware of the corrupt gov and knows how the system works and people always have to pay their way through to get something accomplished ... and definitely not always by law! 

Catching criminals who are hiding on overstay, yes sure ... 

I really would love to know what exactly that Swiss guy did over the past 4 years to support himself.

It would give the discussion some direction.

A system reliant on snitching or brown-nosing is dishonorable and says more about the snitchers than the snitched upon. Those who snitch most often do through jealousy, greed, hoping to curry favour with authorities or simply through being small minded and petty. 

However, it is normally only a small part of any compliance system and no substitute for hard work, fairness, accountability and transparency. Hopefully the Thai immigration compliance framework embodies these principles and snitching is only a small part.

2 minutes ago, RedPill said:

I highly doubt that the root of negativity came from a few overstayers ... I doubt that the average person in a village cares about how the Farang got his visa, legal or illegal, as long as the money is there and he makes no problem, no Thai in the world would really care.

You know exactly yourself that through history, every person in Thailand is fully aware of the corrupt gov and knows how the system works and people always have to pay their way through to get something accomplished ... and definitely not always by law! 

Catching criminals who are hiding on overstay, yes sure ... 

Sue, that might be. Although, I chose to believe it´s a negative factor of many other combined.

2 minutes ago, RedPill said:

I really would love to know what exactly that Swiss guy did over the past 4 years to support himself.

It would give the discussion some direction.

That would be interesting.

6 hours ago, BestB said:

For as long as our respective countries ignore it and do not apply same treatment to Thai nationals , mainly in Germany 

Sometimes I am also jealous on Thais in Germany, but then I think: Germany is one of the richest countries in the world, because the country allows foreigners to live there, work, share their knowledge and bring new experiences to the country - and Thailand is since decades a 2nd world country. 

6 hours ago, Eligius said:

Note the disgustingly racist act of putting an 'alien' mask on the foreigner.

How low can the media Authorities stoop in their insults?!

And all this encouragement - incitement - to snitch on people. It's right out of Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Abhorrent.

If you have a work permit, you even have an ALIEN NUMBER. ????????????

The racism in Thailand really makes my blood boil and makes me so angry when other non thais flippantly defend or joke about it. This act by Thai media is sickening and so disrespectful OMG top gear had such a frenzied attack from thais when they said a rickety bridge had a slant on it. Imagine if they had went round thailand wearing Chinese hats and stupid masks dropping their "R" and replacing it with "L" the out cry but this refer to us as a white fleshed fruit "Falang" and now covering our face with a stupid cartoon alien head. OMFG! TANTRUM OVER. 

26 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

No, they should not. Only the ones they know of or strongly suspect. Let´s say that a foreigner lives with girl friend or wife, and she do not know much about visa just because the foreigner does not talk about it or go on trips with or without her. She might have good connection to the neighbour, and the neigbour asks, talk to other people and somebody understand that things are not right. 

That´s just one example. There are millions of ways to finds out. It´s not racist. All that does not abuse the visa system or overstay have no problem. This regards breaking the law and not the color of your skin or religion as well as not the country you are coming from.

It is completely racist to stereotype any person based upon race or ethnic background.  In essence- since all  Westerrners do not have Asian features- it is only Westerners who would be targetted.    Other Asians would never be looked at.  

In civilized countries you need probable cause to  detain people; ask for documentation or generally just stop them because they look different than you. Even implying that a Thai citizen should report a person they think is an overstayer (since they would have no proof) smacks at overt xenophobia not to mention racicsm..

While overstayers are  breaking a law- you would have no idea who they are unless they actually told you. What is the profile of an overstayer- long hair; tattoos; riding big bikes.  I know several people like that who I am sure are not on overstay but why would I care. 

If I see a person in the act of stealing- I report it.  There is no way the officals should be encouraging anyone to report someone simply because they are different.  If you believe they should- you are abetting offcials to continue to discriminate.  

What if someone reported you- because you look foreign ; don't look like them or just don't like you.  What if it happened every day- everytime you left the house   Minorities in other countries, including mine, have been targetted for years  because of this overt racist behavior. 

Now -we are the minorities.   Don't buy into this racist mentality by the current authorities.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

It doesn´t make me better and happier in my own eyes. However, If I would report the ones I find out about, It might make a difference on the way they are looking at us.

In the UK, we are taught on a street level , not to grass anyone up .

No one likes or trusts a grass/snitch

7 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

Another way to teach the Thais to love the farang.  Kind of like an open hunting season on farang.  Put a target on our backs and see if a Thai can bag one. 

These guys give the RTP carte blanche to harrass all foreigners , including visitors ... just in case there might be a catch on the hook . No admiration for such carry on at all. 

Archived