No, we're not putting water in our fuel, say PTT

webfact

No, we're not putting water in our fuel, say PTT

6pm.jpg

PTT have responded to claims made online that they are putting water in the fuel at a petrol station in the south of Thailand. 

"Pat Niawkai" posted claims and pictures on a fanpage showing a lot of water and fuel in a plastic bottle. 

He claimed that this caused his motorcycle to break down. 

The head of the gas station in Bang Norn district invited him in to show that the emerald green fuel was quite normal and that his claims were untrue. 

Meanwhile, Daily News reported a mechanic as saying that the position of the tank on this particular make of motorbike sometimes caused water to enter. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-08
  • Haha 2

I was having problems with my motorbike (cb650f) took it to the dealer and had the plugs fuel filter changed. Drained the tank and actually saw the state of the fuel. I was shocked. Less than a year old under 3,000km so basically a new bike. The fuel looked as if the motorbike had sat in a shed for 50years. Sometime later driving my SUV well more like playing through flooded Road looked and noticed the petrol station I had used was under water and I mean totally under water. Never used it again. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mrfill said:

Don't have to put water in fuel, it can find its way there quite successfully with the high ethanol fuels which are hygroscopic. Bikers who avoid winter and lay up their machines know this only too well...

I used to put a cup of metholated spirits in my car during the wet season with every fill.

Apparently mixes with the water and gets burnt  easier . 

4 hours ago, mrfill said:

Don't have to put water in fuel, it can find its way there quite successfully with the high ethanol fuels which are hygroscopic. Bikers who avoid winter and lay up their machines know this only too well...

Absolute alcohol is hygroscopic. Water forms an azeotrope with alcohol which is 95% alcohol and 5% water. That is the limit of ethyl alcohol's water absorption.

Any more than that is the result of deliberate addition. Unscrupulous operators can add quite a bit of water to the high ethanol fuels before the hydrocarbon portion separates out of the ternary mixture, which adds to their profit margin.

It is more likely low volume service stations are adding water, than the refiner/wholesale supplier.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mrfill said:

Bikers who avoid winter and lay up their machines know this only too well...

Rubbish. 15 years I travelled back to the West for work. Left cars, bikes, chainsaws, etc etc etc full of 95 Gasahol

Returned - both to here and to the West, charge battery if required - Zoom

Leave the fuel tanks full on departure.

14 hours ago, lujanit said:

Water does not compress. If there is sufficient water in the engine the engine will totally fail.

Will need to be so much the engine won't run. In turbocharged race engines water injection was common at least in the 90's when I was involved with them. Decreased the temperatures so could use more boost.

15 hours ago, lujanit said:

Water does not compress. If there is sufficient water in the engine the engine will totally fail.

Only if the cylinders have sufficient liquid water in them that is in excess of the compression stroke minimum volume. ie the volume at top dead centre. A very small amount of water or water vapour will burn off.

At one time experiments were carried out on injecting very small volumes of water into the cylinders as the expansion of the water vapour was thought to 'perhaps' allow slightly less fuel to be used but costs outweighed the gains.

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Will need to be so much the engine won't run. In turbocharged race engines water injection was common at least in the 90's when I was involved with them. Decreased the temperatures so could use more boost.

And reduces 'knock'

( low octane fuels ) although that's not so commen nowadays.

Edited by overherebc