Thai Consulate Hanoi: Ed Visa Processing Time

Hi guys,

I will apply for my second ED visa soon and will go to Hanoi. Do I collect my passport the following day or two days after the application? Also, does anyone know what time I am required to collect it?

Please, let's not make this into a big debate about the ED visa. Just some simple answers would be much appreciated ????

Thanks in advance ????

54 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Apply in the morning and pick up in the afternoon of the following day. When I applied there for a SETV last month, the pick-up slot they wrote down on my receipt was quite late and quite short: 4pm to 5pm.

Thank you for the info ????

I was in Hanoi 3 weeks ago. I was told to p/u at 16.00 the following day. 

For the record, it was my first extension and the guy was not friendly, really unhelpful and very demanding. Even made me drive back across town to show him my ticket out of Vietnam. Which I obviously didn’t take to show him originally. My bad I suppose, but it was obvious that I just was on a quick  trip and wanted to get back to Chiang-Mai ASAP. I won’t go back to Hanoi next time, will try my luck somewhere else. By the way,  I am mid 60’s, was dressed respectfully and was very polite. Didn’t help at all. Good luck.

7 hours ago, Stephen Zevon said:

Even made me drive back across town to show him my ticket out of Vietnam.

In fairness, they do list the ticket to Thailand as one of the requirements on their website. They're not known to compromise on their published requirements, but on the other hand, if you give them what they ask for, it's a relatively easy place to get a visa even with quite some history. I was happy with them last month.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/hanoi/th/services/1761

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 1:33 PM, Stephen Zevon said:

I was in Hanoi 3 weeks ago. I was told to p/u at 16.00 the following day. 

For the record, it was my first extension and the guy was not friendly, really unhelpful and very demanding. Even made me drive back across town to show him my ticket out of Vietnam. Which I obviously didn’t take to show him originally. My bad I suppose, but it was obvious that I just was on a quick  trip and wanted to get back to Chiang-Mai ASAP. I won’t go back to Hanoi next time, will try my luck somewhere else. By the way,  I am mid 60’s, was dressed respectfully and was very polite. Didn’t help at all. Good luck.

Thank you for the info. I'll make sure I print out my ticket to Thailand ????

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Just reporting back. I'm back in BKK with my new ED visa. One immigration officer seemed to be quite strict and was asking an ED visa applicant a lot of questions in Thai. I got the other officer. I spoke in Thai when I gave her my documents and she didn't ask me any questions. I went back at 4pm the next day to collect my passport and was out of there at 4.10pm. All in all, it was easy and straightforward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KarlosInBKK said:

Hi guys,

Just reporting back. I'm back in BKK with my new ED visa. One immigration officer seemed to be quite strict and was asking an ED visa applicant a lot of questions in Thai. I got the other officer. I spoke in Thai when I gave her my documents and she didn't ask me any questions. I went back at 4pm the next day to collect my passport and was out of there at 4.10pm. All in all, it was easy and straightforward. 

Thank you so much for your report. gives me some hope for my 2nd

5 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

Thank you so much for your report. gives me some hope for my 2nd

My school told me to give them a bank statement from my home country with at least 200,000 baht in it. The statement I gave them had more than twice that amount. If you can show that you have the funds to support yourself throughout your next visa and you can answer any questions they ask you in Thai, then fingers crossed, you should be fine. Chok dee kap ????

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!
What list of documents did you provide? My school told me that I needed to provide a “criminal record” for ED in Hanoi.

I found about it only for Non-Immigrant Visa Category “B” (Teaching):

"Police certificate verifying that applicant has no criminal record or equivalents or letter issued by authorised agencies in applicant’s country. (The requirement of the submission of such police certificate is optional. The applicant must submit it if consular officer requests he/she to do so."

And says nothing about it for ED.

Do you know anything about it?

5 hours ago, Shantararam said:

Do you know anything about it?

The Hanoi website has very little information on it.

I don't recall many reports about Hanoi for non-ed visas. Many do want a police clearance. Your school may know what is required due to of their student experiences.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Your school may know what is required due to of their student experiences.

You are right.

I already asked it from police, but it takes 30 days to get it and 30 days to notarize it at a consulate.
But I only have time to translate it into English from my language and notarize it by a notary (I mean not a consulate), I hope this is enough.

I hope KarlosInBKK will tell us about his experience ????

Pick up last week was between 16:00 and 17:00. 
I would recommend keeping another day on reserve as people sometimes get delayed for additional paperwork,

would save you a missed flight in potential. As well carry enough USD as they want to be paid in USD at embassy.