Let's make Pattaya a green and pleasant paradise for tourists: clean-up underway

rooster59

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

Sure. During the Vietnam war, but only for US troops enjoying a bit of R&R. Hopefully, Pattaya's "comfort" girls were less hazardous health-wise than the Vietnamese variety.

YES................ Pattaya has been a paradice..... UNTIL...... about the time of the 'Military GOV"T taking over about 5 years ago................ (I have 'personally'  seen it for the past 40 years).....

It used to be 'Paradise' ..... (Or maybe even HEAVEN) until recent years of Military (Prayut) control.............

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can’t seem to do anything consistent-no will to have quality, consistency, upkeep, maintenance-just too lazy, which is always acceptable in Thailand in order to keep the bar low-and people want praise when they do their jobs they are paid for ???? and they want quality tourists, and they want them to respect the country that they don’t-I hope the young people can change this, but I’m not too optimistic 

20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Stung by criticism earlier in the week that Pattaya is a rubbish infested dump the mayor has demanded immediate action. 

My observation is that Pattaya is far worse than Bangkok.  You see abandoned pieces of cars, bulling materials, along with the typical home and business garbage littered across the streets.  If you go to Singapore the streets are literally so clean you could eat off from them.  Whats the difference?  Singapore has extremely strict rules regarding numerous things including littering and THEY ENFORCE THEM. As a result the population does the responsible thing and takes care of its garbage properly.  So long as the population of any region does not fear punishment from improper behavior, it does the EASY thing. 

How do you think you can clean a garbage dump?
And make a paradise ...
Put garbage cans in different parts of the city so that people (tourists and residents) can show you that education exists!
Threatening with exorbitant fines has never been served!

21 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Stung by criticism earlier in the week that Pattaya is a rubbish infested dump the mayor has demanded immediate action. 

Municipal cleaners were sent out to various areas by the mayor Sontaya Khunpluem, reported "We Love Pattaya". The clean-up was mounted all week. 

Nice the Mayor got a one weeks work out of his "Municipal cleaners"

He just has to get them to work the other 51 weeks a year.  Baby steps

It's not a dump.  It's a 3/10 as an attractive tourist destination.  It could be a cool destination.  Step one - bring in a team of world renowned hospitality master planners, landscape and sustainability consultants and re-imagine the city.  Get EEC to foot the bill. 

And as a start, do something about all the city's signage clutter by putting together a series of signage bylaws, a signage review committee and a super high tax on street signage.

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Let's make Pattaya a green and pleasant paradise for tourists

Right up there with "Let's make America great again" - and even less likely to happen.

Your pathetic attempt at bringing America into a topic totally unrelated is a failure. Try again.

19 hours ago, Number 6 said:

April Fool's!

The problem with Pattaya Jomtien is that there are 200k poor, uneducated Thai who are from everywhere but Pattaya. They don't own condos, homes, pretty much the clothes on their backs. Add to this the precarious and dangerous work they are engaged in and the fact they are young and carefree. The motodops are already on the run from family and police.

Not much incentive to care about YOUR beautiful day.

I sat on the edge of the beach at the bottom of soi 5 Jomtien after the immigration visit. 

Several thai looking ladies having a mid morning graze, and just threw all the containers and wrapping on the sand along side of me.

I gave them the evil eye a few times and shook my head. 

Got up, put it all in the biggest plastic bag and handed it to one of them. 

Saying, "see its not that hard to do, is it?".

Now all you have to do is put it in the bin.

2 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

You may be right, but doesn't the same apply to quite a few expatriates, who wonder around in Pattaya. I have very rarely seen a concentration of awful looking and behaving expatriates as in Pattaya. I am not a Russian, but the only decent looking expatriates in Pattaya are the Russians. At least they dress properly and behave likewise.

Are you for real, have you ever seen Russians in a all you can eat buffet !! and walking into a 7-11 wearing only speedos picking up food and eating it before going to a checkout.

1 hour ago, sawadeeken said:

YES................ Pattaya has been a paradice..... UNTIL...... about the time of the 'Military GOV"T taking over about 5 years ago................ (I have 'personally'  seen it for the past 40 years).....

It used to be 'Paradise' ..... (Or maybe even HEAVEN) until recent years of Military (Prayut) control.............

I must have missed something. Have been living here for more than 20 years. What the military government did was to extend the bar opening times here in Pattaya. Also endless new bars opened. So what did they do to remove the paradise? From my perspective - I lost my paradise. My before quiet condo is now surrounded by many noisy bars and this with extended opening times. But what paradise did you lose? 

2 hours ago, ancharee said:

Are you for real, have you ever seen Russians in a all you can eat buffet !! and walking into a 7-11 wearing only speedos picking up food and eating it before going to a checkout.

"have you ever seen Russians in a all you can eat buffet !!". Are you not getting the Russians mixed

up with the Chinese?

5 hours ago, gwynt said:

When I first started coming to Thailand, Patong, every morning there were water tankers out washing the streets and a machine on the beach filtering/cleaning the sand, everywhere was pristine. Don't think it goes on now, can't see it happening in Pattaya. 

Exactly the same with Koh Samui - Chaweng beach. 20 years ago, the hotel staff were out sweeping their portion of the beach. it too was a pristine areas - about 3 Kms of it and it was an empty paradise, hardly anyone on the beach - let alone a foreigner.

Then, stupid people like me went home and told everyone about this fantastic place. " go there", we said......and they did.

Within 4 years it was all gone and the trash on the beach, hypodermic needles, plastic, fishing jetsam started to build up[ with the explosion of the Full moon party revellers,  and worst of all, the stinking dogs. I used to run that beach early morning, 6am. Wonderful - but then the dogs in twos and threes arrived, (sometimes with their owners) and I was attacked twice. Within three more years., I stopped going. The place was noisy, filthy and overpriced and with construction erupting everywhere - prices through the roof and a bad attitude.

I now live in CM and have done for the past 15 years. Never to return to that once pristine, heavenly paradise lost! I guess Pattaya and Patong must be the same. Very sad.

21 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Last month while I was in Bangkok, I was talking to a very young hotel maid on a temporary work assignment  from Cambodia, with good English. I asked her if she’d been anywhere else in Thailand, and she replied “Yes, Pattaya. It was SO beautiful!” She said this with eyes shining, and without a hint of sarcasm in her voice. I couldn’t think of anything to say in reply.

Compared to what, the killing fields of Cambodia? Yes, it is ????

Close the bars on walking street , send all the bar girls home , arrest all the prostitutes and ladyboys ? Can anybody remember when Pattaya was a green paradise for family holidays ? Take away the sexual aspect and it would lose all its appeal and customers . 

If the are really serious to make like clean place to see and walk, Why do they not remove or hide the wires or the obstacle course walking the streets or the pumping station in front of Walking street that pumping out live poo so parasites eat in the water. You see no one swimming? Why? Go for a swim and find out why they like your skin...Food

Archived