Cipro

randymarsh

Despite the black box warnings and the fact this class of drug is a last resort in UK, every single time I get food poisoning in Thailand, they always prescribe cipro.  I mentioned to a doctor once the reported risks of tendon damage and he had no idea.  So is the whole thing overblown?  Do the Thais know something we don't?

I know I can not take it and it is the only drug that I have had severe reaction.  Never again.  Indeed it is much too often prescribed without just cause IMO.  

From that RXlist site:

Ciprofloxacin can cause serious side effects, including tendon problems, side effects on your nerves (which may cause permanent nerve damage), serious mood or behavior changes (after just one dose), or low blood sugar (which can lead to coma).

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I know I can not take it and it is the only drug that I have had severe reaction.  Never again.  Indeed it is much too often prescribed without just cause IMO.  

From that RXlist site:

I guess it is not for everyone. I've never had any issues.

Thai doctors tend to (1)greatly overprescribe antibiotics (2) discount the risk of side effects of medications even if aware of them which  many are not.

Most cases of food poisoning will resolve fine with time, rehydration salts and activated charcoal. These last 2 can be gotten at any 7-11 or pharmacy.

Only if it is prolonged, accompanied by high fever and/or bloody stools or you are unable to keep down fluids do you need medical attention.

If getting food poisoning often, though, might want to reconsider where and what you eat.

32 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Why are you going to a doctor?

Buy what you prefer from the pharmacy, Amoxicillin 500 is 30bht a strip from Makro pharmacy.

Why would I not go to a doctor when I'm pissing water out of my ass for 3 days?

Amoxicillin btw does absolutely nothing for diarrhea.

34 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If getting food poisoning often, though, might want to reconsider where and what you eat.

Easier said than done...

Sadly I can’t stop eating at my favorite food court stall... The one that sell rice and two topping choices from a buffet of several dishs that have been sitting at room temperature for a undetermined period of time...

Those curry dishes are delicious but occasionally brutal..

I suppose pre dosing a Cipro would not be advised?...

6 hours ago, randymarsh said:

Why would I not go to a doctor when I'm pissing water out of my ass for 3 days?

Amoxicillin btw does absolutely nothing for diarrhea.

So this is the  third case that Sheryl mentioned may need antibiotics:

- fever 

- blood in stool 

- cannot keep water in your body 

This case definitely needs medical attention, the doctor may try treatment without antibiotics,  just iv drip. If the doctor wants to use antibiotics a drip may not be necessary.  Usually the doctor will use ciprofloxacin.

The side effects (damage to achilles tendons) are well known,  can be very nasty,  but are quite rare. Alternatives to ciprofloxacin do exist but have drawbacks of their own.

2 hours ago, PPMMUU said:

If it really is food poisoning you don't need any kind of antibiotics (cipro included).

What?  I nearly died from food poisoning about 4 years ago and only a serious dose of IV antibiotics saved me (not a drip, they shot the whole thing into my arm at once).  I wouldn't be here without the doctors in that hospital in a village in the middle of nowhere.  So pretty irresponsible comment from you there.

1 hour ago, uhuh said:

So this is the  third case that Sheryl mentioned may need antibiotics:

- fever 

- blood in stool 

- cannot keep water in your body 

This case definitely needs medical attention, the doctor may try treatment without antibiotics,  just iv drip. If the doctor wants to use antibiotics a drip may not be necessary.  Usually the doctor will use ciprofloxacin.

The side effects (damage to achilles tendons) are well known,  can be very nasty,  but are quite rare. Alternatives to ciprofloxacin do exist but have drawbacks of their own.

I agree with you.  I was replying to some idiot who said no need to see a doctor if you're sick.

13 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Everyone's mileage will vary. I have taken Cipro numerous times, without side effects.

Modt people don't, or have only mild side effects. However in some people serious tendon problems occur. They are a minority but there is no way to know in advance so certainly unnecessary or indiscriminate use should be avoided.

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Modt people don't, or have only mild side effects. However in some people serious tendon problems occur. They are a minority but there is no way to know in advance so certainly unnecessary or indiscriminate use should be avoided.

Granted. But, it would be hard to determine beforehand. 

4 minutes ago, randymarsh said:

The problem I've found is if I refuse cipro the doctor's don't ever have an alternative to prescribe.

Because they are often prescribing as a prophylactic rather than to treat an actual infection.  

1 hour ago, snowballthecat said:

thank you for referencing my post .   if one reads it they will be surprised that a number of

TV members came out and told of their very serious reactions to Cipro and other floxins.

I was shocked to be one of those affected since I am a healthy individual.  There are alternatives but one must find knowledgable doctors ( not easy)  and do the research for themself as well.   The internet is a vast resource for those willing to take the time

23 hours ago, randymarsh said:

The problem I've found is if I refuse cipro the doctor's don't ever have an alternative to prescribe.

blackbox warning says use it as a last resort.    there ARE other options.  

Archived