400k Baht Non O Grandfathered But

I had my 3rd application for a 12 month Non ‘O’ Extension accepted yesterday at Nong Khai but was told that using the method of having 400K Baht in the bank will not be ‘Grandfathered’ next year. I will be treated as a new applicant and have to have Embassy confirmed proof of 40K/month income. I’ll look at my options next year, anyway that took all of 10 minutes, easy BUT prior to that:-

I have a new Passport, old one about to expire, and asked for the letter from the Aus Embassy confirming I had a new Passport? Of coarse I didn’t so he asked me for a receipt showing payment for it? The application was lodged at a Perth post office and I used a debit card to pay for it so of coarse I didn’t have the card machine receipt. There is also a problem with my signature on the Passport. Long story with which I’m in contact with DFAT about. TW and I remained calm and polite, she is a Puyai Baan and we are well known to all the staff in the office, they accepted our explanations and then proceeded with an extraordinary amount of additional paperwork, who knows what would have happened if they thought I was producing a fake?. I finished up with 2 full pages of additional stamps in the new passport, look to be duplicates of all the stamps from the last year out of the old one. This took 40 minutes.

Whilst this was going on a farang came in with his newly acquired TGF, without taking a numbered ticket and getting in the que they worked straight up to where we were sitting and she threw his passport on the table on top of our paper. There was some stern words and he threw the passport back at her and told them in no uncertain terms to get out and go to Laos. After this there was quite a lot of conversation and banter, in Thai, between the staff and TW. Turns out they have had enough crap out of impolite farang and their uppity TGF’s and just sending them on their way at the slightest hint of a problem.

I had my 3rd application for a 12 month Non 'O' Extension accepted yesterday at Nong Khai but was told that using the method of having 400K Baht in the bank will not be 'Grandfathered' next year. I will be treated as a new applicant and have to have Embassy confirmed proof of 40K/month income.

Could you clarify something, please. Did you have a minimum 400k in your account continously for the 3 months prior to you applying for a 12 month extension?

I learn from this forum that this new requirement is not currently being enforced on the basis many people will be unaware. It will be enforced next time you try to extend. Could this be the point they were making?

I finished up with 2 full pages of additional stamps in the new passport, look to be duplicates of all the stamps from the last year out of the old one. This took 40 minutes.

Quite normal I think.

I just got 2 full pages in my new passport with information from the old one.

20 minutes and no money

I had my 3rd application for a 12 month Non 'O' Extension accepted yesterday at Nong Khai but was told that using the method of having 400K Baht in the bank will not be 'Grandfathered' next year. I will be treated as a new applicant and have to have Embassy confirmed proof of 40K/month income.

Could you clarify something, please. Did you have a minimum 400k in your account continously for the 3 months prior to you applying for a 12 month extension?

I learn from this forum that this new requirement is not currently being enforced on the basis many people will be unaware. It will be enforced next time you try to extend. Could this be the point they were making?

Good point. I have spoke with many retired people here in Pattaya who were unaware of this requirement. Perhaps immigration should tell them when they come in for their 90 day signing.

Good point. I have spoke with many retired people here in Pattaya who were unaware of this requirement. Perhaps immigration should tell them when they come in for their 90 day signing.

The interviewing officer didn't take any notice of the passbook transaction but the senior officer who verified his work did carefully checking the date I topped up. I did that early December knowing of the 3 month rule.

Edit:- I was told that there will be NO 400K (grandfathered) option for me next year. I will have to show a steady income.

Edited by bdenner

Got my marriage extension on 400k in the Bank at Pattaya last week Friday. As I am holder of a WP too, I originally intended to show income greater 40k Baht, but that was turned down by Imm, telling me I would have to show one Year taxes paid ??? I have WP since September last Year, and had only 5 month paid tax to show. Anyway, I had a Bank Book with 450k, most of it paid in a few weeks before application, (No Three Month!), and it went through. When I applied (End February) they told me the grandfathering will stop next time, too???

Anyone know whether they are making that up as always, or Immigration really know of rules change that will be implemented this October? I can hardly believe that!

Sunny