Not Producing Red Blood Cells

duratanium

If someone aged 68 years is not producing red blood cells and has been hospitalised for 3+ weeks, what can be the cause? I would have thought that anaemia causes it, but to be in hospital so long makes me wonder if it is something more serious. She needs transfusions also, apparently.

I may have lost something in the translation between myself and my Thai g/f over this. So any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thx.

red blood cells are important as they carry oxygen to all parts of the body.

as far as i know thr bone marrow is responsible for producing red blood cells and problems with production of them potentially lies there...

I have the unfortunate pleasure to occasianally sit in a room full of anemics taking blood for red blood cell deficiencies or platelet deficiencies whilst I have the opposite problem - i produce too many !

My bigest concern is that whatever it is may lead to cancer...

If you are originally UK based you could call NHSDirect or look at cancercare.gov.uk for further valid info

There are a number of possible causes:

- side effect of some drugs

- side effect of radiation therapy

- depression of the bone marrow due to viral infection or exposure to a toxic chemical

- leukemia and other cancders

- kidney disease

Just to list the most common ones.

Such a person will likely need transfusions and depending on the cause, might also need a bone marrow transplant.

For sure, the problem is serious. For anyone who cares out this person, and/or is footing the bill for treatment, the 2 points of concern are: 1) that the doctor and hospital are competent to treat this and 2) that the prognosis is not terminal (hopeless) because in that case it may not make sense to spend a lot on blood transfusions etc. Some of the causes listed above are reversible and some may not be, so it depends on the individual case.

Thanks for the input.

Seems I will have to wait until after the Easter break to find out more of what is causing the problem and hope it is not terminal. It is difficult when someone is trying to explain over the phone about something they have trouble putting into a second language.

I realise illness in older people is never a good thing and I have to hope she will be ok as she is a good woman.