Free eye test

scottiejohn

Does anyone know of  any CM opticians that offer free eye tests and comparisons with present ‘varifocal’ spectacles?

Ideally between the old city and the river.
I do not have a current prescription.
Also any recommendations for ‘varifocal’ providers would be appreciated.

From my experience the prices for glasses are way overpriced (compared to other countries), but the services are usually free.

I've had eyes checked, glasses adjusted, nose pads replaced (for glasses which i bought abroad) at various branches of Top Charoen and KT optics, i always asked what it costs, they just smiled and said service is free.

So if you just walk into any of their branches this will probably be free.

I recommend an eye exam at Ram or another hospital setting.  Stay away from any “free” screening in the malls: these are not legitimate optometric exams.

The advantage of a medical professional exam is that you can be tested for glaucoma, and even the wonderful guy at the shop by UN Pub can’t do that.

Wherever you get your legit exam, make sure you’re tested for PUPILLARY DISTANCE, and get all of this in writing, of course. (And photograph your written rx, just to be prudent)

Then I TOTALLY recommended Zenni Optical, an online glasses provider.

The low prices of Zenni will blow you away!  The lenses themselves are high-quality and always spot-on in terms of proper correction, in my multi-purchase experience.  (I wear multi-focals myself).

And you can virtually “try them on” by uploading your photo and superimposing the glasses onto your image.

The one big caveat: thoroughly pore over user reviews with regard to frame durability.  There are some lower quality and fragile frames in their mix.  

However, if you do your homework, I think you’ll be thrilled with your final purchase.  And don’t be afraid of a dirt-cheap pair of frames if they are well reviewed.

Zenni is a US company, but their production is out of China.  Consequently, items arrive here faster than you’d think, and I have never, ever paid customs, even on multiple glasses shipped at once.

There’s a one-time discount for new customers, and sometimes other promotions are in play.  You can also browse online for promotion codes as well, but Zenni usually advertises these up-front.

I enjoy having several glasses options (I think of them kinda like jewelry, as an accessory detail), and I’ve had a ball acquiring some nice and different pairs over time.  Plus subscription sunglasses are practically a necessity here.

In the past in the US, and even here, glasses have cost me 500+ bucks, which meant the perfunctory, insurance-underwritten pair every two years.  No real freedom to have any “fun” glasses, or even sunglasses.

All that has changed with Zenni (and their online competitors).  You’ll never have to pay a king’s ransom for glasses again.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, mikey88 said:

Personally speaking...I seriously doubt the qualifications of these people at eyeglass shops....

I do not care about their qualifications.  If they can provide glasses that work well at reasonable prices I cheer them.  With a little effort one can find a number of places in CM that meet the mark without delving into their qualifications.

Dante99,

That might be an OK option if one’s refraction is not complex;  however, for more challenging types of correction, many would argue that a licensed optometrist is the only way to go - not to mention providing essential glaucoma testing.

Everyone should be tested for glaucoma every few years, most especially if there is a family history of same.  

Additionally, diabetics and those with known eye conditions should only consult licensed optometrists and also see an ophthalmologist yearly.

The good news is none of this is prohibitively expensive here!

Archived