Thai Junta Chief Calls For Emergency Rule In Bangkok

Thai-Spy

To add to this, a point I did not consider, last week the police were unable to stop the rally. That a first struck me as a bit odd not to call for reinforcements to dismantle the stage. Now it is beginning to make more sense as I now remember just who’s pocket the police are still in. We all knew and suspected Thaksin still has some hidden power and he must make a showing of sorts to recapture the people who had doubts about his ability to overcome what is going on. Typically Thais don’t think that far ahead, however Thaksin does think things out and that is part of the reason he had such a following of greedy Thais known at the TRT riding on his coattails. Again this is much more serious than what it appears to be and the Junta knows this.

Okay, but I'm still skeptical : thai police has a new boss, a man of the CNS. It would be strange that they were unable to align a few units with a few commanders, reliable, loyal to them and not to Thaksin, to contain a rally.

Again, let's not forget the scale : 2000 people last week.

I agree : last week the police was pathetic (on purpose or... naturally). They tried to dismantle the stage. And then they backed off.

The thing to do was to prevent Thaksin supporters to install it in the first place.

I believe that it's just another proof of their usual mai pen rai attitude. Now the situation is different : they know what to expect. And they can take proper actions to prevent the same thing.

My point : with the tool of an emergency decree, what they could achieve more ?

And again, there is a matter of relativity : if we need emergency decree in Bangkok to contain some supporters of Thaksin... what do we need... in the south ?

It makes no sense. Unless, Sonthi doesn't fear a rally (official explaination) but rather... a new bombing campaign in Bangkok.

Or a coup. :o

There is no question Gen. Sonthi fears more than meets the idea. Couple the PTV rally with the farmer/s rally at government house and Gen. Sonthi realizes that somebody is starting to make their move. From his side, I think he just wants to extinguish this before it gains too much support upcountry (outside of Bangkok).

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Col Sansarn, spokesman for the ruling Council for National

......... ............. ................ ................

"If any unrest arises, how can we hold an election?" he asked.

here we go ..........................

Where are all the Coup Cheerleaders who flooded this forum with nothing but praise for the Junta in September? Now the other shoe drops... :o

Exactly

They still keep threads open which are now 6 months old, still hanging on to the hope they werent sold in the biggest sales pitch in modern thai history.

They just bought the pitch on truth, democracy and honour replacing corruption, power and greed.

In fact power and greed is what all these new masters care about!!

PM, CNS, NLA, and EC to have meeting on emergency rule and election

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont will have a discussion with the Council for National Security (CNS), the National Legislative Assembly (NLA), and the Election Commission this afternoon. They will consider the potential declaration of a state of emergency in Bangkok to quell the demonstration, and they will also discuss the schedule of the next general election.

This morning, Gen. Surayud joined the teleconference with Interior Minister Aree Wongaraya, Information and Communication Technology Minister Sitthichai Pookaiyaudom, and the governors of the southern provinces. The meeting discussed the tsunami evacuation drills.

The CNS earlier stated that the Prime Minister will make the final decision whether the emergency rule will be announced in the capital.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 29 March 2007

Gen. Sonthi says rally should have clearer stance

The Royal Thai Army Commander-in-Chief and Council for National Security (CNS) Chairman, Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratglin, says legal measures will be taken to control the People’s Television (PTV) rally. He says more police will be deployed and the number of army officials has already been increased to strengthen security and facilitate the general public.

Gen. Sonthi says the CNS sees national stability as an important factor for investment, economy and tourism. He says the instability of the country will also hamper the constitutional drafting process. He says the government will have to assess the overall situation and relevant information from the National Intelligence Agency before it will decide whether the state of emergency will be declared in Bangkok. Gen. Sonthi says the CNS will mainly provide the information on security.

The CNS Chairman says he would like to see more order and peace in the country He also says the mobs should have a clearer role, and there should be a clear representatives for them so they can work out the solutions with the government.

Gen. Sonthi says the Royal Thai Police has explained about the regulations for dealing with demonstrations in foreign countries. In certain countries, the protestors who want to organize a rally have to ask the government for approval and inform their objectives clearly. If approved, the authority will provide the protestors the location for them to hold a demonstration. Gen. Sonthi says it is a good measure, but he has to evaluate whether it will benefit the country or not.

I wondered when they'd start shooting people...

Yeah - we were talking about this in Bangalore last week and my highly educated Thai colleague did not know about 73,76 or 92.

She now wants a certain book from me to read published by Yale Uni Press

I think the hypnotist above has spent too long in she shaving miorror and beleives his own quackery

Let us not forget that PTV is the TRT. I trust that you can see past the facade of what is going on here. I for one would have to agree that putting emergency rule back into place is the right thing to do. You need to ask yourself who would be arrogant enough to do this self serving thing and you will find the only answer is the TRT. I would also say it fits what I am calling Thaksin’s plan “B”.

Punishing TRT members, well that’s one for the books. Again all meant to make the appearance it is not the TRT, and if you think about Thaksin and his opposites, it fits exactly his style and what he would say.

Slow? The issue about the constitution is for what I can see still more or less on track based on the initial time frame, and I certainly would be annoyed at someone who would be bitching and complaining about something that was still not done. Although I do agree putting the underlying infrastructure back together seems to be a impotent attempt at this point, we must not forget it is a two step process, undo what Thaksin did then rebuild. As far as I can see undoing has never been done before because noone has ever taken thing to this level. I have been watching demolition next to the Asok BTS station for a while now, obviously clearing the way for a new building, this is no different.

Remember the “under currents” talked about early on and mostly centered in Thaksin country, you are now seeing that was not a false statement. This has much bigger ramifications than the appearance of infringement of freedom, and only will serve to further divide the country. Emergency rule is the correct call.

:D:o:D

Hypnotist and a control freak - scary!!!!!!

Yeah - we were talking about this in Bangalore last week and my highly educated Thai colleague did not know about 73,76 or 92.

I think the hypnotist above has spent too long in she shaving miorror and beleives his own quackery

Apart from that a good dictionary would not go amiss

Apart from that a good dictionary would not go amiss

She can spell better than me ;-)

The junta lets usual anti-coup protests go undisturbed. In PTV's case they are afraid of "you know who" pulling the strings.

Don't forget that Thaksin supporters are still in junta's black book. The martial law was lifted on the understanding that there will be no pro-Thaksin demonstrations.

Last week they were investigating PTV's funding sources. If they are sure that someone is paying to set up this TV station and paying to bring these mobs to Bangkok, it's better to stop them before it gets out of control. Emergency decree is an overkill but they think they have no other means of stopping public rallies.

I don't know if allegations of people being paid to attend PTV rallies are true. Someone here mentioned 100 baht per diem.

I think we should see the difference between politically conscious people attending demonstrations to express their opinions and shady instigators paying unsuspecting folks to come and make up numbers.

Last year Thaksin managed to feed and transport 300,000 people to rally in his support. This time numbers won't be anywhere near that, but even 10,000 is a big number.

Bottom line - no pro-Thaksin rallies or the martial law will be back in force.

Sanam Luang declared off-limits to all activities

(BangkokPost.com) -

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has decided to close Sanam Luang to all activities as of Thursday until April 5 apparently in a pre-emptive move to prevent political groups from using the spacious ground to stage anti-government or anti-CNS rallies.

déjà vu anybody ...................

Democracy Confederation opposes the enforcement of Emergency Decree

President of the Democracy Confederation submits an open letter to the prime minister, opposing the enforcement of Emergency Decree in Bangkok and the announcement to ban political gatherings.

President of the Democracy Confederation, Md.Weng Tochirakarn (เหวง โตจิราการ) reveals that he does not want Chairman of the Council for National Security (CNS), Gen.Sonthi Boonyaratglin, to pressure the premier to enforce the Decree.

Md.Weng also sees that the government does not necessary to announce a ban on political gatherings of a few thousands people as there are many of the existing laws applicable to control the gatherings. He insists that his confederation as well as other groups of people do not agree with the enforcement of the Decree and calls for PM to reconsider the matter.

s2_copy174.jpg

Nakhon Ratchasima police and military officers block people going to join the rally against the junta to be held at Sanam Luang tomorrow.

Source: The Nation - 29 March 2007

OK this is how you spell THAKSIN;

As several people here have posted the People of Isaan have little to do or care about politics or understanding the nature of it. Here is a truck load coming down to Bangkok to take part in a rally yet I doubt they were anything more than hired to be a body in the crowd. Certainly they don’t have an issue with a Junta who is trying to do as the King would like and are happy generally as long as they have food and can pay their bills. I have doubts they would understand the draft of the new constitution as it would take lawyers to truly understand and explore it. I know I would have some difficulty with it because I don’t know all of the Thai laws and how they would be affected. Everything more or less is on track as far as time to get things done. The only people who have a bitch have their own agenda and the Junta is in their way. They have a strong desire to toss out a constitution that looks to be very strong against corruption and replace it with a watered down or should I say a Thaksin version.

Food for thought, if the people who are the most corrupt are complaining about the new constitution, then certainly the constitution is on the right track. PTV = TRT

Am I a Control freak, certainly not. Am I smart enough to look at a few pieces of a puzzle to see the picture before it is complete, you be the judge of that. I think the Junta sees what I see too.

As several people here have posted the People of Isaan have little to do or care about politics or understanding the nature of it. Here is a truck load coming down to Bangkok to take part in a rally yet I doubt they were anything more than hired to be a body in the crowd.

....from the mouth of the junta and Bangkok elite directly to our little ears...

You give too little credit to the common man, anywhere he may be. The people of Isaan are more savvy than you give credit, and have a pretty good grasp of why the military and Bangkok elite prefer to keep them pacified or controlled. I talk to their young adult sons and daughters (newly voting age), and their political knowledge could stand up to...even surpass...what I find on this forum or downtown Bangkok.

Keep being the junta's mouthpiece, JohnK, and you'll continue to help serve the cause of dictators and military-imposed rule everywhere.

Where are all the Coup Cheerleaders who flooded this forum with nothing but praise for the Junta in September? Now the other shoe drops... :o

Exactly

They still keep threads open which are now 6 months old, still hanging on to the hope they werent sold in the biggest sales pitch in modern thai history.

They just bought the pitch on truth, democracy and honour replacing corruption, power and greed.

In fact power and greed is what all these new masters care about!!

Silly me - so I should have gone blindly along supporting 'corruption, power and greed' (in your own words) last summer - NOT

When the papers stop printing criticism of the junta, all rallies are banned (not just those organised by the rump of TRT or its clones) and the elections are cancelled, then I will be similarly critical of them.

Meanwhile DL (Departed Leader) and his cronies should honour (oh dear - another weasel word from a naive believer in democracy) his repeated promises to the country to stop stirring the sh*t.

By the way, although at the time I welcomed a bloodless coup instead of a bloody suppression of the remaining shreds of democracy, I wouldn't myself lay claim to the description of 'Coup Cheerleader'.

March 29 (Reuters) - Thai Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said on Thursday he had rejected military demands he use tough emergency powers against small, peaceful but growing rallies and that a post-coup general election would be held in December. Here are some of the political and economic milestones that have shaken the country over the last year:

Source: Reuters

confirmation that the elections will not be held inside 12 mths as initially promised ........................

Khun Surayud gave the date of elections as mid- December, that's reasonable, I think General Sonthi's request for a state of emergency and Surayud's refusal shows the latest divide between the CNS and the government.

Sonthi and his fellow coup officers are fully aware of Thaksin's attempts to come back, especially as the court cases start to surface.

Do those opponents on this forum of the coup object to the ongoing and upcoming cases of corruption?

Is it wrong to improve Thai society? because, believe me not one of the cases pending would have seen the light of day under such a great democrat as Thaksin.

General Sonthi and Khun Surayud have different viewpoints; Surayud has nothing to lose, he didn't stage the coup, he wants a quiet year before returning to The Privy Council whilst General Sonthi as the instigator of the coup knows he has to nail Thaksin and prove the coup was worth it, otherwise....

Frustrated by the apathy and cowardice of the civil service, note Khun Nam Yim Yaem of The AEC's criticism of Khun Aree of The Interior Ministry and his reluctance to forward the lottery investigation, it is plain the CNS are in no mood for complacency and apathy by government officials.

Expect a major reshuffle soon.

When I read about Sonthi's latest suggestion I thought "Just like bloody Burma" then I googled Sonthi+Burma and came up with this item fromis my least preferred newspaper:

http://www.myanmar-information.net/infosheet/2006/060914.htm

The headline reads:

Nay Pyi Taw, 13 Sept — Thai goodwill delegation led by Commander-in-Chief of Royal Thai Army General Sonthi Boonyaratglin and wife, visiting Myanmar at the invitation of Vice-Chairman of the State Peace and Development Council Deputy Commander-in-Chief of Defence Services Commander-in-Chief (Army) Vice-Senior General Maung Aye, arrived at Mandalay yesterday.

This was 5 DAYS before the (Thai) coup.......Don't recall seeing it in the Thai papers

I wonder what they discussed?

Be careful what you wish for Huh?

To the people that feel I may be a mouth piece for the Junta, let me say that I am not. My position and I will state it again is Thaksin provided an attack that I took as personal. My beef is with him, the rest is simply Thai business. I along with the majority of posters have little or no input in the affairs of Thailand. However I have discovered that my predictions have been correct a significant majority of the time. I am simply expressing what I see pro or con. With that said take my posts for what they are worth, simply my personal opinion and predictions.

Edited by John K

To the people that feel I may be a mouth piece for the Junta, let me say that I am not. My position and I will state it again is Thaksin provided an attack that I took as personal. My beef is with him, the rest is simply Thai business. I along with the majority of posters have little or no input in the affairs of Thailand. However I have discovered that my predictions have been correct a significant majority of the time. I am simply expressing what I see pro or con. With that said take my posts for what they are worth, simply my personal opinion and predictions.

Ooooohhh... So... There is something "personal" and that's why you're attacking him (Thaksin)... and it's all about "BEEF"!!! :o

No harm intended, but John I would tend to be careful with your posts infuture. You indeed do sounded very bias about the whole issue. I would prefer to read a more neutral point of view from other poster.

I have nothing to do with Junta or Thaksin. I'm not here to decide who is the "good" or "bad" guy, "corrupted" or not, but I felt that I would prefer the time during Thaksin's era.

Call me "bias" whatever but these are the things that I see during those time:

The trains were just built, more nice hotels, no "cowboys" gangsters walking on the street with pistols, no drug peddlers in disco harassing, lesser beggers on the streets as compared to other times when I've visited.

During those times, I also keep hearing news that good number of MNCs are looking towards Thailand and invested there as their industry's insurance base against China. Investment policies are quite well drafted out and does not flip-flop. Foreigners love Thailand and they flogged to stay there.

Are things getting better after the coup? The Southern States getting more peaceful? Better bilateral relationship with other countries? More stable, attractive and better investment policies for foreign firms? Less corruptions, drugs, thugs, prostitution and arm trading?

Higher happiness index for the local Thais? Maybe...because of the rising Baht. "Hey! Our Thai Baht is getting bigger now and one day it will be bigger than the money of you FARANGS!!!" :D

I don't know how are you guys staying there feeling right now. At this present moment for me I would give it a second thought about investing a business or buying property in Thailand. Even as to choosing a holiday destination, I would give Thailand a second thought.

Yes, no one can be the "perfect" helmsman for the country but I do pray and hope that Thailand will emerge a leader who will love and lead the country to the Land of Smiles again. I do miss those smiles, simple and yet true...

Just a snapshot view of someone who travelled in and out of Thailand for many years.

I hope and pray the people will be heard tomorrow, without any violence.

This is the beginning of the end of the junta.

They can not silence the people....they are morons to try.

If they were "pro democracy".....Sonthi should be speaking at the rallies, not condemning them.

Ooooohhh... So... There is something "personal" and that's why you're attacking him (Thaksin)... and it's all about "BEEF"!!! :o

No harm intended, but John I would tend to be careful with your posts infuture. You indeed do sounded very bias about the whole issue. I would prefer to read a more neutral point of view from other poster.

I have nothing to do with Junta or Thaksin. I'm not here to decide who is the "good" or "bad" guy, "corrupted" or not, but I felt that I would prefer the time during Thaksin's era.

Call me "bias" whatever but these are the things that I see during those time:

The trains were just built, more nice hotels, no "cowboys" gangsters walking on the street with pistols, no drug peddlers in disco harassing, lesser beggers on the streets as compared to other times when I've visited.

During those times, I also keep hearing news that good number of MNCs are looking towards Thailand and invested there as their industry's insurance base against China. Investment policies are quite well drafted out and does not flip-flop. Foreigners love Thailand and they flogged to stay there.

Are things getting better after the coup? The Southern States getting more peaceful? Better bilateral relationship with other countries? More stable, attractive and better investment policies for foreign firms? Less corruptions, drugs, thugs, prostitution and arm trading?

Higher happiness index for the local Thais? Maybe...because of the rising Baht. "Hey! Our Thai Baht is getting bigger now and one day it will be bigger than the money of you FARANGS!!!" :D

I don't know how are you guys staying there feeling right now. At this present moment for me I would give it a second thought about investing a business or buying property in Thailand. Even as to choosing a holiday destination, I would give Thailand a second thought.

Yes, no one can be the "perfect" helmsman for the country but I do pray and hope that Thailand will emerge a leader who will love and lead the country to the Land of Smiles again. I do miss those smiles, simple and yet true...

Just a snapshot view of someone who travelled in and out of Thailand for many years.

OK let me throw in another filter here. Thaksin caused a very serious divide in the country because of a self serving agenda. As far as I can recall the goal here is to reunite and heal the country. I would need to dig back in the news clippings and find what the Junta and the King said, but from memory it was to reunite Thailand.

The PTV / TRT / Thaksin has their own self serving agenda and dividing the country at this point serves them. It does not take much more than a 15 year old to see that this rally will not serve to reunite but it will serve to divide the country.

I suspect the rough draft of the new constitution has a lot to do with this. From what I have been seeing it has teeth and is very ready to bite into corruption. Killing that is most certainly one of the main goals of PTV / TRT / Thaksin. To do that a division must be made.

There is a time frame that was set right after the coup and that is on track, considering what must be done that time frame is very reasonable. The saying “Rome was not built overnight” tends to apply.

Thaksin has been quiet for the last few weeks. Historically that always preceded something, and this rally fits. I would expect some sort of self serving comment from Thaksin within 48 hours after the rally. He will need to see what happens and then add spin.

As for the beef with Thaksin, I will need to search for a plural but generally along the lines of everyone else is stupid, and I am the only smart person. Everyone else is my helper. When you spend a significant portion of your life getting educated then you have repeated comments like this and more from a head of state, it does rub many people the wrong way.

"My position and I will state it again is Thaksin provided an attack that I took as personal."

You yourself may be in need of some counselling with statements like this - you are paranoid matey boy and delusional.

How amusing!

So without getting into tit for tat do you agree with Thaksin that he is the only smart person and everyone else including you is stupid?

"My position and I will state it again is Thaksin provided an attack that I took as personal."

You yourself may be in need of some counselling with statements like this - you are paranoid matey boy and delusional.

How amusing!

So without getting into tit for tat do you agree with Thaksin that he is the only smart person and everyone else including you is stupid?

No not at all but making ridiculous statements that its personal between you and Thaksin may make you look rather silly.

Do you know him or he know you?

What rights do you have in Thailands political system - are you eligible to vote?

You are a guest in the country at the whim of the Thai people and you think you have personal issues with a person who you neither know not her knows you - what a bizarre concept!

If somebody came out and said. "Its personal between me and Bush (or Thatcher etc)" they would seem to be a little deranged and may even be investigated by security personnel.

I can see someone saying they did not agree with a politicians policies and actions but beleiving it to be personal and using words like "beef"?????

Then you see eye to eye with a military junta who was condemed by most democratic nations of the world fo the way it overthrew a democratically elected government - as much as you dislike it Thaksin was elected and did have majority popular support.

Would you support a military dictatorship in say the USA just because the urban elite wanted it but the majority of the population did not?

There are very interesting times ahead for Thailand and how it comes through those will be very interesting but we can not really discuss that too much on here. It is actually discussed elsewhere in the region though.

How amusing!

No not at all but making ridiculous statements that its personal between you and Thaksin may make you look rather silly.

Do you know him or he know you?

What rights do you have in Thailands political system - are you eligible to vote?

You are a guest in the country at the whim of the Thai people and you think you have personal issues with a person who you neither know not her knows you - what a bizarre concept!

If somebody came out and said. "Its personal between me and Bush (or Thatcher etc)" they would seem to be a little deranged and may even be investigated by security personnel.

I can see someone saying they did not agree with a politicians policies and actions but beleiving it to be personal and using words like "beef"?????

Then you see eye to eye with a military junta who was condemed by most democratic nations of the world fo the way it overthrew a democratically elected government - as much as you dislike it Thaksin was elected and did have majority popular support.

Would you support a military dictatorship in say the USA just because the urban elite wanted it but the majority of the population did not?

There are very interesting times ahead for Thailand and how it comes through those will be very interesting but we can not really discuss that too much on here. It is actually discussed elsewhere in the region though.

OK No more on this, Beef may be a local term from where I am from and I have not used that term in many years. As put in this care beef means; set things straight and or to take someone down off their high horse, to put in touch with reality . My position, read my posts “Thai business” in this and other threads.

I don’t see this coup as overthrowing a democracy, what I saw what stopping the birth of a dictatorship that may have been only days or hours away.