Chiang Mai: Crackdown on tourists teaching at language institutes and cram schools

webfact

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

Why not apply for the right visa and just work legally ?

A good question.  However I've run into several expats in CM, many actually, over the years who feel the opposite: Why do something legally when the criminal way will work?  This includes committing perjury on the old Immigration pension form and scheming to bring in 800k THB in cash, undeclared, when wiring it would work just as well.  Not filling out FBAR's on US tax returns, easy to do, but why not break the law if you can.

Looks like "Patricia" got what she deserved.

• Haha 1

Now everyone is complaining about immigration having more capacity and going after Farangs. Why not! Thailand is not a poor country any more. When I was a youngster back in Aus the Immos used to raid the fruit picking farms regularly for backpackers working without visas. They would come into the paddock in force and find maybe 1 or 2 casuals working illegally. They were protecting Australia's national security. They probably still do the same.

• Like 1

Immigration isn't doing their job in letting her do border runs to continue her long term stay under tourist visa.

I thought there is a limited number of tourist visas per year that the immigration can grant per year to the same person?

2 hours ago, webfact said:

On Monday a raiding party led by Saraphi station chief Pol Col Songkran Sanwong with immigration and labor department officers went to a well known cram school in Saraphi. 

They were acting on a complaint that a 57 year old American tourist was teaching there. She had been reported as creating annoyance among traders and businesspeople elsewhere in the city. 

Saraphi is relatively a small town and foreigners stick out like a soar thumb. Not sure if buying it that she was annoying everyone other than could be the xenophobic race card. But once talk starts going around and it gets to the local flat foot, then you can bet your bottom satang they are going to take her out anyway they can just to get her out of Saraphi.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Yes it's vely annoying that NONE of the staff in Siam Paragon or Siam Icon can speak english....so annoying that i won't go shopping there anymore.

They will probably learn Mandarin, before they learn English.  The only thing I went there for was Filipino cigars..then they raised the price 50%.  

• Haha 1

''The authorities have said that there are many tourists on 30 day visas continually nipping across the border to extend then going right back to work illegally at language and cram schools in the northern city.''

How would that work if only 2 border crossing for visa exempt allowed per year, also 30 day visa, actually visa exempt cannot be extended by crossing borders.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Really? Enough reports of people being turned away when having had 2 or more actual visas, and border hopping has been tough for a long time, so how have they been getting away with it all those years?

One teacher having been caught, also doesn't seem like massive evidence of a grand epidemic.

And that, only because "She had been reported as creating annoyance among traders and businesspeople elsewhere in the city." :dry:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bkkatl said:

I think bigger issue is people on marriage and retirement visas working without a permit. Half the guys I know don't have a work permit but they're married.

There's no law prohibiting married folk from working as long as they have the proper paperwork.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dap said:

And that, only because "She had been reported as creating annoyance among traders and businesspeople elsewhere in the city." :dry:

"creating annoyance" probably tramslates to.."I want a refund."

That'll teach her!

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Columbus said:

I know 2 people from the UK on fake degrees teaching in Khonkaen Government schools. 2 teaching on Retirement visas, the school protects them and pays the usual fees to the local boys in blue. So my question is, "who is breaking the law? 

Everybody, including the police, school, teachers and you. I have kids at schools there. Care to name the schools' names? 

I will happily be the law abiding one.

• Like 1