Women Of Samui

Some of you should know a thing or two about this topic.

So what's the single's landscape like on Samui? Are there (m)any single educated women in their 20's or are they mostly bargirls and various McJobs in the tourist industry? If I'm looking for more than a physical relationship (OK, after the first few weeks anyway :o ) would it be better to just "bring my own sand to the beach"?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you should know a thing or two about this topic.

So what's the single's landscape like on Samui? Are there (m)any single educated women in their 20's or are they mostly bargirls and various McJobs in the tourist industry? If I'm looking for more than a physical relationship (OK, after the first few weeks anyway :D ) would it be better to just "bring my own sand to the beach"?

You will find as many educated girls here as in Estonia.......Furthermore many bar girls are also educated and by putting bar girls with other female tourist related employees (this is after all a tourist destination) in one basket, you put yourself in a hot seat here. I can send you some katoeys to teach you the basics "ins" and "out" (no pun intended) if you wish ! :o

You will find as many educated girls here as in Estonia.

Out of a population less than 50,000 and no universities on the island (are there?) I would be surprised if there were as many university-educated girls there as here in Lillputia, er, I mean, Estonia with it's massive poplation of almost 1.4 million.

......Furthermore many bar girls are also educated and by putting bar girls with other female tourist related employees (this is after all a tourist destination) in one basket, you put yourself in a hot seat here. I can send you some katoeys to teach you the basics "ins" and "out" (no pun intended) if you wish ! :o

Relax, no offense intended. My question has nothing to do with equating the job duties of a bar girl and front desk clerk. Most tourist-related jobs don't require a university degree and that's all I meant. There's nothing wrong with wanting someone with an education. Considering one of the popular stereotypes of farangs living in Thailand is that they are interested mostly in small children & other variants of the sex trade (no one on this forum of course), wanting someone older and educated should seem refreshing.

Feel free to "teach me the basics" right here on this forum. That's why I'm asking.

You will find as many educated girls here as in Estonia.

Out of a population less than 50,000 and no universities on the island (are there?) I would be surprised if there were as many university-educated girls there as here in Lillputia, er, I mean, Estonia with it's massive poplation of almost 1.4 million.

......Furthermore many bar girls are also educated and by putting bar girls with other female tourist related employees (this is after all a tourist destination) in one basket, you put yourself in a hot seat here. I can send you some katoeys to teach you the basics "ins" and "out" (no pun intended) if you wish ! :o
Relax, no offense intended. My question has nothing to do with equating the job duties of a bar girl and front desk clerk. Most tourist-related jobs don't require a university degree and that's all I meant. There's nothing wrong with wanting someone with an education. Considering one of the popular stereotypes of farangs living in Thailand is that they are interested mostly in small children & other variants of the sex trade (no one on this forum of course), wanting someone older and educated should seem refreshing.

Feel free to "teach me the basics" right here on this forum. That's why I'm asking.

reason for delete, point moot, thought the post was phangan related

Edited by t.s

.Furthermore many bar girls are also educated

What does this mean? They can read? Seems that one of the reasons for being here is to make money in spite of not having the needed certificate of educational training to get a "real" job.

As to the original question, dating an actual local girl is difficult since they realize that 99.99 percent of farangs are only interested in one thing -- they see it every day and night -- so even if you find a nice girl who isn't on the game, the family generally won't allow you access to the woman unless and until you spend a great deal of time getting to know the woman in her workplace (which is usually a merchant setting). Even jumping through this hoop for months may well get you absolutely nowhere.

'Out of a population less than 50,000 and no universities on the island (are there?) I would be surprised if there were as many university-educated girls there as here in Lillputia, er, I mean, Estonia with it's massive poplation of almost 1.4 million.'

For someone who's seeking an educated woman, you seem a bit thick.

Even someone with a little knowledge of Thailand would know that the fact that there are no universities on the island is irrelevant as those from a small island such as Samui that go to university would obviously travel to Bangkok, Hat Yai, etc.

As for a country comparison, Thailand has far more people and universities than Estonia and there are therefor obviously far more educated women in Thailand than Estonia.

Whether or not an educated Thai woman would be interested in you is another story....... :o

'Out of a population less than 50,000 and no universities on the island (are there?) I would be surprised if there were as many university-educated girls there as here in Lillputia, er, I mean, Estonia with it's massive poplation of almost 1.4 million.'

Do you need a university degree to be educated ? If yes, than I am not educated. Better bring your own sand then......

Do you need a university degree to be educated ? If yes, than I am not educated. Better bring your own sand then......

Thanks but you're not my type anyway I'm sure.

But to answer your question, NO, a degree isn't necessary. Personally, I would be interested in someone who has at least made the effort to continue their education beyond the secondary level. That doesn't mean they have to have had complete a degree. Some men want to be a sponsor/sugar daddy, I don't (been there, done that). I'd like to have discussions that don't start with more than, "Do you like my new shoes?"

I spend time on this forum to gather some intel about Samui before I go. I'm learning a lot from the answers I read whether they are relevant to the op or not. Quite often, not.

Even someone with a little knowledge of Thailand would know that the fact that there are no universities on the island is irrelevant as those from a small island such as Samui that go to university would obviously travel to Bangkok, Hat Yai, etc.

As for a country comparison, Thailand has far more people and universities than Estonia and there are therefor obviously far more educated women in Thailand than Estonia.

Whether or not an educated Thai woman would be interested in you is another story....... :o

This is one of the "not"s.

This is one of the "not"s.

Jezzzzzzzzz the man is just looking for a woman , with some brain between her ears, instead of between her l........ whats wrong with that ???

Koheesti.......you should know better than to ask.......your kind of woman are everywhere in the world......just have to find them, and like someone mentioned here.....those kind of women are ofcourse more difficult to find and to "catch". You will need to spend alot of time and learn some Thai , even your type, speaks English.

However with all the negative post you get ........you can guess where most of them find their women :D

I just started dating a university graduated, beautiful, tall, long legged, firecracker of a woman. We worked together at first and I would not date someone I worked with but the day she quit was the day I asked her out. There are plenty of girls of all types on this island. It is the same anywhere, you have to make the effort and do not be too shy about speaking with them. It is a natural thing, if they are attracted to you then you will know it and go from there. That is the whole point of dating, to see if you are interested in that person. If not, then just slowly but graciously back away and keep looking. Always be yourself and do not lie to girl because if it turns out you do like her then she will find out about the lie sooner or later.

All girls of all types want to be treated with respect. If you can do that well it will place you leaps and bounds ahead of most guys.

It is a great game and I love playing.

Don't know you, but judging from your posts above, I'm not so sure a 'decent, educated' Thai girl would be too interested in you. They don't really like ppl who appear to be full of themselves.

Maybe better you bring your 'own sand'. (Wouldn't have thought that expression indicates the person was looking for a decent, educated woman. But then, what do I know).

I'd suggest the handsome man route for your pleasure.

Don't know you, but judging from your posts above, I'm not so sure a 'decent, educated' Thai girl would be too interested in you. They don't really like ppl who appear to be full of themselves.

How is being interested in a possible female companion who has some higher education make me full of myself?

Maybe better you bring your 'own sand'. (Wouldn't have thought that expression indicates the person was looking for a decent, educated woman. But then, what do I know).
Appartently not much if you think "Bringing your own sand to the beach" is some kind of off colour expression. That's a more than just a tad bit sensitive.

Since I want a woman with a little higher education you suggest I get a man instead? That says a lot about you. What, I'm not entirely sure but it's nothing good.

I'm a guy posting on a Thai forum asking a harmless non-sex industry related question about women on the island and and I'm being skewered by some of you. Don't worry about me and whether or not the 'decent ,educated' girls on the island would be interested in someone so "full of himself". That's for the girl to decide when the time comes. Your mission - if you choose to accept it - is to just answer the question as posed in the op. If you want to criticise me, go ahead, but I would appreciate at least maybe a short preface such as "I don't know any ejukated girls but I think..." before tearing into me. Sheesh.

If you find one that speaks english, and works (not Bars) and treat them like a real women wants, then you'll need along vacation (more than 2 weeks) Else you can have a time with the bar girls. And Im NOT skewing you.

Edited by SamuiJens

If you find one that speaks english, and works (not Bars) and treat them like a real women wants, then you'll need along vacation (more than 2 weeks) Else you can have a time with the bar girls. And Im NOT skewing you.

Thanks, sounds good to me. I plan to stay up to a year at least - unless all the horrible things I read here about runaway crime, pollution and "going to the dogs" are true. :o

Sometimes when you live someplace you can forget what the outside perception is. Check out YouTube, tourists don't take videos of modern Samui just like they don't take videos of modern glass and steel Tallinn, Estonia where I live. People see pics of Tallinn's medieval old town and find it hard to believe that the Internet and cell phone usage here is ahead of most places in the US. My question about women might seem absurd to some who live in Samui or have been regularly but when you see what is out there in the world about Samui (even Thailand in general) it's not.

The real question really is WHY would an educated woman be interested in a guy that MIGHT spend a whole year here?

Educated women understand that there is basically no future in a relationship with someone that is not invested in being in Thailand or looking for marraige and bringing a wife home.

CAN you meet a girl to date? maybe! but really it is doubtful.

What are you bringing to the table that would interest them?

Edited by jdinasia

Try a dating agency.

I believe that in a lot of cases profiles of people also include "level of education".

Personally, if I was a Local Thai Woman in my 20's, I would be quite offended by your original question "Are there (m)any single educated women in their 20's or are they mostly bargirls and various McJobs in the tourist industry?

It's not like Samui is in the depths of a jungle or in the middle of a desert.

The real question really is WHY would an educated woman be interested in a guy that MIGHT spend a whole year here?

Educated women understand that there is basically no future in a relationship with someone that is not invested in being in Thailand or looking for marraige and bringing a wife home.

So all educated women aren't interested in travelling and prefer to stay in one place their whole lives? They simply want to get married and settle down? No, different people can want different things.

CAN you meet a girl to date? maybe! but really it is doubtful.

What are you bringing to the table that would interest them?

For starters, a man who is interested in what they think and have to say and not just sex, sex, sex.
It's not like Samui is in the depths of a jungle or in the middle of a desert.

Haven't been yet, couldn't tell ya. I was on Samet 10 years ago and from what I've heard, it's changed quite a bit. Back then it was pretty much nothing but jungle, beach & basic bungalows. See my above post about outside perceptions. Not everyone who wants to visit Samui registers for this forum beforehand to learn more about it than they would learn on a tourism site with pictures of beaches, bungalows, gogo bars & elephant rides through the - yes - jungle.

"Haven't been yet" Makes your original question sound even more offensive.

"Not everyone who wants to visit Samui registers for this forum beforehand" But you have.

It seems a little odd that you "plan to stay up to a year at least" in a place that you have never been, and it would appear know little about.

How is being interested in a possible female companion who has some higher education make me full of myself?

Appartently not much if you think "Bringing your own sand to the beach" is some kind of off colour expression. That's a more than just a tad bit sensitive.

Since I want a woman with a little higher education you suggest I get a man instead? That says a lot about you. What, I'm not entirely sure but it's nothing good.

I'm a guy posting on a Thai forum asking a harmless non-sex industry related question about women on the island and and I'm being skewered by some of you. Don't worry about me and whether or not the 'decent ,educated' girls on the island would be interested in someone so "full of himself". That's for the girl to decide when the time comes. Your mission - if you choose to accept it - is to just answer the question as posed in the op. If you want to criticise me, go ahead, but I would appreciate at least maybe a short preface such as "I don't know any ejukated girls but I think..." before tearing into me. Sheesh.

Get educated before looking for an educated woman. Methinks you think toooooo much of yourself.

Alternatively, bring your own sand to the beach :o

Get educated before looking for an educated woman. Methinks you think toooooo much of yourself.

Alternatively, bring your own sand to the beach :o

Yeap, educated sand that should be..... :D

"Haven't been yet" Makes your original question sound even more offensive.

Read through the entire thread. I'm not going to apologise again. I "think too much of myself" to keep repeating it. :o

"Not everyone who wants to visit Samui registers for this forum beforehand" But you have.
Yes, I have. Is it a bad thing to want to know more about Samui beyond the usual "tropical island paradise" tourism line?
It seems a little odd that you "plan to stay up to a year at least" in a place that you have never been, and it would appear know little about.

I won't be the first time. But that's where joining this forum (among other sources) comes in.

I knew NOTHING about Samui 9 weeks ago except it was an island and popular tourist destination in Thailand. That's it.

The amount of info that is available via the Internet (not least of which is this forum) and other sources make learning about Samui (or any other place) before moving there much, much easier than say it would have been 10-12 years ago.

Despite calling Estonia home now, I'm no stranger to heat, sand, palm trees, and really large reptiles lurking about. I have been to Thailand before. I plan to spend two weeks in Samui later this year to check things out firsthand before making the final decision on the move. That and spending 9 months on this forum, learning from you guys, :D will make the transition easier.

That's more than I or any expat I know knew/did before moving to Estonia. For those farangs reading this, how much more did you know before deciding to stay in Thailand?

back to the topic -

All I wanted was to just know more about the singles scene on Samui beyond the usual sex trade which, if you believe all you read and what people who have been there tell you, is all Samui has to offer on the subject. Me, I thought I'd ask the people who live there, the people on this forum. Half have been helpful, the other half give me something to type about.

just my opinion as you are aware to many people want to dive in and critasise posts. alot of new shoppping places like Home Pro Lotus Makro etc here now where they require high level of education for many of the positions. best way if you see a girl you like and get the right eye contact just go and talk. alot of the girls in night clubs etc have day jobs but freelance in night clubs at night, so really same as bar girls even though they work in shops etc. i would guess the only way to meet a well educated non bar girl is through working with them. Alot of high class Thai girls would not consider a reationship with us farangs. quite a few of the bar girls have a ood education but got through university or part through got pregnant then got dumped so ended up in bar. more educated ones tend to get long time farang boyfriends prity quick. what your looking for is not easy to find but like you there is no way i could live with a partner who was not educated to a reasonable level. been with my missus 6 years she could read write and speak english when i met her, she had private education through to high school..............but i met her in bar in bkk.

either way you can have some fun looking for what you want

just my opinion as you are aware to many people want to dive in and critasise posts. alot of new shoppping places like Home Pro Lotus Makro etc here now where they require high level of education for many of the positions. best way if you see a girl you like and get the right eye contact just go and talk. alot of the girls in night clubs etc have day jobs but freelance in night clubs at night, so really same as bar girls even though they work in shops etc. i would guess the only way to meet a well educated non bar girl is through working with them. Alot of high class Thai girls would not consider a reationship with us farangs. quite a few of the bar girls have a ood education but got through university or part through got pregnant then got dumped so ended up in bar. more educated ones tend to get long time farang boyfriends prity quick. what your looking for is not easy to find but like you there is no way i could live with a partner who was not educated to a reasonable level. been with my missus 6 years she could read write and speak english when i met her, she had private education through to high school..............but i met her in bar in bkk.

I bet your "missus" speaks and writes better english than you? Geeezzz....

I bet your "missus" speaks and writes better english than you? Geeezzz....

That's exactly what I meant, some bar girls write/speak better than some of us here :o

<Hands the OP a flame proof suit>

Guys, c'mon, play nicely.. give the guy a break...

Unwarranted attacks/flames will result in suspensions/removal of posting rights...

Wolfie is watching, thanks!

Unwarranted attacks/flames will result in suspensions/removal of posting rights...

Much scarier warning than "sbk is watching" , I think :o

I knew you'd turn up somewhere! Most people thought we'd seen the last of you when the Tooting Popular Front was disbanded.

Where's Ken these days?

Edited by somchai jones