German tourist killed, struck by parasail speedboat propeller, off Kamala

rooster59

2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

submerged means not visible.... could it be once hit by the propeller, pop up and became visible

Or maybe the swimmer saw the boat coming towards him and tried (unsuccessfully) to submerge himself in order to escape injury or death... and maybe the boat operator saw the swimmer dive down and figured that he need not divert (since the swimmer has already been submerged).  TIT

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

quite surprised, with so much bad publicity about Thailand scums, accidents, rapes, etc., and yet westerners still come. Appear to have Chinese for now,  maybe they (also) heard the bad news

I think its about two years back now, the Chinese tourist who landed in Phuket airport and managed to drown only an hour later.  Those stories don't seem to effect Chinese tourists.  No one thinks it will happen to them then they avoid all warnings and good sense and swim under a boat.  At 63 you should be smarter than that. 

So, I have read two separate opinions here (and in the article) about the roped off area. 1) Is it the ONLY valid (legal) swimming area at Kamala Beach, or 2) Is it only a no go area for boats and the rest of the water is a no man's land (swim at your own risk), hoping a boat driver sees you?

Thailand beach waters would be much nicer without:
- jetski's
- parasail- en banana boats
- random passenger speed boats coming and going
- ugly swim area ropes

Obligate ALL BOATS to ONLY arrive at beaches that currently have PIERS.
People can take taxi's from there, and all the other beaches stay nice and quiet like this.

When we stay on a nice beach, we won't have to rent a stupid speedboat to see a nice beach further away.

16 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Tell me why everyone has to act like Thailand is robbing me without giving anything back? What are that kind of people still doing here?

Lol.... I can’t answer for everyone. I’m sure there are many reasons.... for me it’s because I’m involved in a multi year legal battle with a Thai who is attempting to defraud me of a lot of money.

14 hours ago, fruitman said:

Now the boat driver has to pay 10 million to the family of the german tourist.

Why?

The tourist was not swimming in the "safe" area but outside in the area where boats operate.

If it was the other way around and he was swimming in the safe area when he was hit by the boat then I agree with you.

But he wasn't.

16 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Mr Abhisit told police that Mr Prock was submerged, causing him to not see the tourist in the water.

Yeah, cause he was

What else would he be expected to say. Was there a lookout on the bow of the boat, knowing that there would be a chance of someone in the water.

17 hours ago, madmitch said:

The entire article is biased in favour of the speedboat driver. Yet why should these parasailing operations have priority over swimmers and sunbathers? Oh yes, they pay the right people!

What nationality is the speed boat driver? What nationality is the deceased? Great marketing opportunity for TAT. Come to Thailand and play Russian roulette with a speed boat propeller. Who's the idiot who allows this game? Another one and only Thailand. Luckily he wasn't Chinese, so no need for profuse apologies. 

9 hours ago, jany123 said:

Lol.... I can’t answer for everyone. I’m sure there are many reasons.... for me it’s because I’m involved in a multi year legal battle with a Thai who is attempting to defraud me of a lot of money.

I would have been thinking someone immediately would bring up somekind of exceptional case. Good luck with you battle.

4 hours ago, Langkawee said:

What nationality is the speed boat driver? What nationality is the deceased? Great marketing opportunity for TAT. Come to Thailand and play Russian roulette with a speed boat propeller. Who's the idiot who allows this game? Another one and only Thailand. Luckily he wasn't Chinese, so no need for profuse apologies. 

Surely personal responsibility is something comes into play here. Tourist was outside designated area. Ya pay ya money, ya buy ya ticket, ya get the ride ya paid for. Unfortunately it cost him his life

11 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

Because they tip the right people. Is today your first day sonny??

It's a tongue in cheek question Papa.  BTW, how long have you lived in Phuket since you seem to know what goes on here. I can't recall ever seeing you post in the Phuket forum on a regular basis.

Designated swimming area ?

Thats news to us locals...

There is a roped off area in front of Sunwing Resort , but for many years Ive thought it was  pretty much for resort patrons.

Besides , its tiny , maybe 100m x 60m , on a beach around 2.5kms long?

So some are expected to walk 2kms up to there for a swim?

The article is rubbish.

For starters there is no coral to look at , its all sand.

Any coral that could have existed is dead by now , killed by builders sediment in the rampant development goin on here now...

The article is a 'blame the victim ' piece.

There is no entry / exit to the sea marked off lane for these boats.

They go anywhere they like .

There is no spotter any more either.

My Thai wife saw the victims , he had no blood left in him !

If these boats simply  must be allowed run amok so those in power get their payola  , is  a marked sea lane and a caged propellor too much to ask for ?power-solutions-propeller-guard.jpg

We are just back from Phuket. Spent there 4 days. We stayed at Kamala.

We drove a bit around. Parked the car and walked to the beach (not Kamala) just to take a few pictures.

Only a few tourists at the beach. What we noticed was, that a heavily drunk woman (Russian I guess) was prepared to do some parasailing. She could barely stand on her feet. Her husband (I guess) was taking photos. If something did go wrong there, who should be blamed? The drunk Russian or the parasail business who don't care because business is very low.

Went back after a few minutes to rental car and had a nice ticket on my windscreen.

Police clamped our car. Very handy that a taxi driver was just nearby and offered his service to drive us to the police station. Probably he called the police. We took another taxi instead. 400 baht return and a 500 baht ticket to pay.

Organised cr....

LOL

On the other hand, we spoke to local people and all said that they never saw business so bad. 

I saw only Russians and germans and the odd Chinese.

22 hours ago, Pinot said:

Kamala is also Phuket's dirtiest beach with no sewer treatment. Sold out long ago to developers. 

Don't come here. It's dirty and dangerous

Nice try to get the beach for yourself...  555  Won't work though.

On 11/23/2019 at 5:39 AM, ezzra said:

Anywhere else the compensations for such tragedy will be very big, let's us now sit watch and wait how the people responsible will try to wiggle themselves out of admitting culpability and paying for it...

Will the deceased German have to pay compensation to his own family or do you think that he try to w(r)iggle himself out of admitting culpability and paying it?

Archived