Family-Owned Thai Restaurant in Texas Gets Racist ‘Speak English’ Note From Customer

rooster59

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Radar501 said:

The restaurant's Facebook reply to the rude note read as follows:

'Someone left it at the counter at lunch today.Who ever you are,I apologize for that which I wasn’t born with.'

Not exactly Oxford English, but comprehensible.   If the restaurant staff's spoken English ability is equal to their written skills, then as a TOLERANT PATIENT native English speaker, I would understand what the waitress really meant when she recommended the 'FLIED LICE.'

Certain nationalities with their native tongue cannot pronounce certain words with an ‘r’ or a ‘s’ because they don’t have such pronunciations in their language. The Chinese and Thais are some of those who have difficulty with such pronunciations if they are not regular users of english language. I think foreigners also have some trouble with Thai pronunciations of certain words in turn. 

I am very sad for the people who own and run the restaurant to have received this note. I'm even sadder for the person who wrote it. That person is stuck in a world where their eyes will always be hooded and that is truly sad.

Good thing, though, is I know where to stop for food next time I'm in Lubbock. ???? (If that ever happens again).

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Well, anyone that up roots and go to live elsewhere should be ready to be singled out, ridiculed and ostracised to a varying degree, it happened here to many foreigners and it happened everywhere else, so either roll with the punches or do your soul searching... 

Agree.. especially if you're going to open & run a business learn the local lingo!

And as Foreign visitors to Thailand, we do not suffer daily Racism from Thai Nationals. ?

We are even subjected to " Double Price Gouging " from the Government for entrance fees to National Parks, along with many other other things, that could be possibly labelled as " Racist ".

Why are these people in Texas whinging exactly ???.............. Oh yes ! I forgot there for a moment that they are Thai .

2 hours ago, Creasy said:

If you’re operating a restaurant in an English speaking country.

And the majority of your customers are English speakers  too.

You would hope that the staff can communicate with the customers

You REALLY think that no one in that restaurant speaks a word of English?

Racism is rampant on this planet and they back each other up always!

2 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

And as Foreign visitors to Thailand, we do not suffer daily Racism from Thai Nationals. ?

We are even subjected to " Double Price Gouging " from the Government for entrance fees to National Parks, along with many other other things, that could be possibly labelled as " Racist ".

Why are these people in Texas whinging exactly ???.............. Oh yes ! I forgot there for a moment that they are Thai .

So... let racism flourish... ?

Looks like a possible hate crime. Police should investigate this. America is the melting pot of the World. I am originally from New York, so being with people from just about anywhere, you will hear multitudes of languages spoken on the Avenues of The City. The company I worked had people from 60 different Countries.

I've read some pretty thick comments on this forum in my time but some of them on this subject are obviously written by complete morons. Mostly extremely racist or just plain stupid. Get a life guys and stop comparing everything in your midget brains to how you hate Thais and Thailand so much and it's much better back home. If you don't like the place ' F... off back home!!!!'

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

the only native race in the USA do not speak English, a lot of the settlers came from non English speaking countries, The USA is made up of immigrates, be they long term settlers of newer ones.

In El Paso City (by the Rio Grande) I learned that a person that speaks two languages is called bilingual, three languages is tri-lingual and more than three languages is multi-lingual. I also learned that the person who speaks only one language is called a Gringo.

8 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Most Thai restaurants in the US are run by Vietnamese.

Used to be the same in England not a Thai onsite, one time in Dubai we went to the Blue Elephant Thai restaurant all the staff were from Philippines 

40 minutes ago, SinCityGr8One said:

Looks like a possible hate crime. Police should investigate this. America is the melting pot of the World. I am originally from New York, so being with people from just about anywhere, you will hear multitudes of languages spoken on the Avenues of The City. The company I worked had people from 60 different Countries.

Yes, clearly a matter for the FBI, DEA, and possibly NSA. Immediate forensic analysis of the guilty napkin is required. A nationwide manhunt should ensue. Once captured, the offender should be placed in maximum security and charged with crimes against humanity. But if it was hoax, of course, never mind. No harm, no foul.

When Rhai go abread to Europe they also have to be able to popper speak the native language when they want to have a business or work.

Thai need to adjust the additute and accept they are part of the "local world" too, instead of seeing this note as racist note they also can see this note as an encouragement to improve skills.

A coin has two sites. 

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

I know quite a lot of long term stay foreigners in Thailand who couldn't speak Thai properly beyond the numbers but they were not told to go back to their home country.

BTW, the native language in America is Red Indian speech and not English so who should go back?

You might try Native American or American Indian. Red is not the most favorite term most Native Americans like to go by

Archived