Traders want six more months to offload residual banned farm chemicals

rooster59

Traders want six more months to offload residual banned farm chemicals

ข่าว-Eng-3.jpg

Thailand’s Department of Agriculture is to ask for an additional six months, until 1st June 2020, to divest themselves of 38,000 tons of residual paraquat, glyphosate and chlorpyrifos, before the legal ban takes effect.

Speaking on Friday, Mr. Anant Suwanrat, permanent secretary for agriculture and chairman of an ad hoc committee to assist farmers affected by the ban, said that traders have complained to the Agriculture Department about the very short notice given to export or incinerate their unsold stocks of the chemicals. They were given 15 days to report inventory, followed by 15 days to get rid of it.

Traders say that re-export is not possible, because the chemicals have been diluted and are no longer in the wholesale concentrated form, and local incineration will produce toxic hazardous fumes.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/traders-want-six-more-months-to-offload-residual-banned-farm-chemicals/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-11-24

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

local incineration will produce toxic hazardous fumes.

Never bothered anyone in the past 40 plus years, why start now. I am surprised they haven't just poured it all down the drains............but I guess there is time yet.......

2 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Those people instigating the ban haven't really thought it through have they!

The ban has been on the cards for a long time and was fore-warned..... the stock pile is the companies own greed.

This is yet another attempt at stalling the inevitable for another 6 months.

Where health and lives of farmers using banned chemicals and consumers of tainted agricultural products are concerned no more delay should be given so that traders could offload their stocked up poisons. What is to be incinerated should be done without any more thought of profit nor time given. After all, traders suffer an opportunity loss vis-a-vis real life threatening loss to all of us.

56 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The ban has been on the cards for a long time and was fore-warned..... the stock pile is the companies own greed.

This is yet another attempt at stalling the inevitable for another 6 months.

I agree the best thing that could happen would be to just cancel the ban and continue to use the chemicals......If the chemicals worked in the past they will continue to work.....

9 hours ago, animalmagic said:

That's very reassuring!  Perhaps we are supposed to let them use it on the crops instead?

Not the most logical argument I've ever seen.

True, especially since there have been serious discussions about banning these chemicals for at least 3 or 4 years. 

17 hours ago, fforest1 said:

I agree the best thing that could happen would be to just cancel the ban and continue to use the chemicals......If the chemicals worked in the past they will continue to work.....

Yeah they worked a treat... poisoning people, great idea!

Archived