Media mogul Bloomberg enters U.S. presidential race, takes aim at Trump

webfact

14 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I am not terrible happy about another billionaire entering the race (we have seen how awful the current one is), but sometimes it takes evil to deafeat evil.

And a quick word about Warren. I love the idea of universal healthcare for the US; the arguments in favour of it are irrefutable. However, as someone who has worked on many elections, I would rather run against her than for her. Imagine the ads;

I don't think it's fair (or wise) to judge all billionaires against Trump.  It's not as if any of his quirks are a surprise to anyone who followed his antics long before the election.  I don't know enough about Bloomberg, but I am intrigued that he actually admitted he was wrong and apologized for a misguided policy.  Can't imagine The Donald doing either.  Or most politicians, for that matter.

Regarding universal healthcare, I agree with you.  I don't think we'll ever see it, but for a different reason.  If Americans could get universal health care (or even affordable private insurance), there would be a mass exodus of disgruntled corporate employees who have stayed at their crappy jobs only because they need the insurance for their families.  It would be a boom for self employment, small business startups and the job creation that would follow.  But a disaster for the corporate interests that control our political process.  Along with the powerful heathcare lobby, they'll never let it happen.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

Bloomberg is probably just running to do the attacks that Dems can't do. Biden seems to have come out to be the target of Trump with all his baggage. Together they will do damage but neither will run in the end. it will end up being some pair like Bernie/Warren or Buttigeig/Klobuchar or Warren/Harris running against Trump or his replacement. If Weld were the Republican candidate, he would absolutely win againsts the Dems only because he is not a rightwing extremist.  My2baht

Here's a good link with some election info and recent videos.

https://www.c-span.org/series/?campaign

Edited by TooBigToFit

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed as well as a reply:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

A post containing a Twitter message has been removed.  This is a forum, not an SMS or Twitter message.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

He is one of the people able to beat Trump, and the good thing for democrats is that he is not running as an independent.

Yet  ????

Trump can only be beaten by a 3rd party candidate siphoning off votes that would otherwise go to Trump.  We'll see big democratic dollars supporting a right winger.

Edited by IAMHERE
spelling
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Bloomberg has been an ardent defender of Wall Street against laws and regulations designed to stop another crash from happening. That's enough to disqualify him.

In principle I agree with you, but if he is the one with the best shot at winning against a sitting president, so be it.

At the moment I think his age is more of an issue. On the other hand, with a healtydiet as opposed to burgers and comes his body and mind are probably in a better condition than Trump's. He had already proved his mind is.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This paragraph explains the possibility (I don't think he will win, but...) of him doing well; it is a strategy that only a billionaire could follow.

The way that the Democrat primary is structured is the key; there will be the four contests in February next year, then 'Super Tuesday'. On 'Super Tuesday', approximately 43% of the delegates will be chosen, so if a candidate (with extremely deep pockets) focuses on that day, floods the TV channels/Social Media in those states with advertising, and is in a situation where there isn't a clear leader, then there is a possibility of success. And, the conditions that I have just mentioned are possible. Very possible.

The other key here is a lack of a really serious candidate in the 'Moderate' lane. Currently there is Biden, but he is too old, has been tarnished by Trump, and represents the past (backward-facing candidates don't do well). Alternatively, Mayor Pete is doing well in that lane, but while I like him, he is too young and being Mayor of a small-ish town is not good enough experience for being President. The other possibility in that lane in Klobuchar, whom I like, but she hasn't broken through with ideas or money yet, and her opportunity to do so is fading.

So, Bloomberg is possible.

I am not terrible happy about another billionaire entering the race (we have seen how awful the current one is), but sometimes it takes evil to deafeat evil.

And a quick word about Warren. I love the idea of universal healthcare for the US; the arguments in favour of it are irrefutable. However, as someone who has worked on many elections, I would rather run against her than for her. Imagine the ads;

'Warren wants to take away YOUR healthcare and force you into a government plan'

'We all know that governments can't run anything'

'Fight to stop Warren from taking away YOUR healthcare!!!'

Yes, sleazy but effective.

“ She thinks she is native Indian” 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, blazes said:

I look forward to the reaction of OAC to this little insight into the mind of Bloomberg from NYMagazine:

http://nymag.com/news/features/christine-quinn-2013-2/index5.html

The writer was at a party when Bloomberg, then NY mayor, turned up.

My friend and I followed the host over, shook Bloomberg’s hand, and my friend thanked him for his position on gun control. Without even acknowledging the comment, Bloomberg gestured toward a woman in a very tight floor-length gown standing nearby and said, “Look at the ass on her.”

That's good. Nothing wrong with admiring. At least he didn't go over to her and grab a handful.

(or maybe he did. I haven't read your link yet)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, kamahele said:

First off, the Democrats are putting anyone out. People are running all on their own. Second of all, If party members do not like them for any reason, they get a vote. Currently there is a wide range of ages of the 18 or so participants and the one with the highest poll numbers so happens to be Biden who is in his early 70;w.

First of all they ARE putting ANYONE out it seems, so I agree with you ( read your first sentence lol) second of all your Biden remark is WRONG! He will be two weeks short of his 79 th birthday on Election Day. If god forbid he goes two terms ( and shouldn’t we be voting for someone who is so good that they should go two terms?) He will be 87 years and 2 months old then!!! That is absolutely insane. No normal clear thinking person can think a president at that age is healthy in all ways. So we have Biden , Trump, Sanders , Warren and now Bloomberg who will ALL be 80++ after two terms ( Trump will be about 80 after one more). Where is you wide range Of age? You know about 13 of those 18 are not contenders unless you are pretty darn simple. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

WRONG! He will be 78.

Joseph Robinette Biden, Jr. (born November 20, 1942) 

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Biden

Listen wikiboy if you think one year makes a difference and you must post a link for it good for you!! You are the smartest of us all! Gold star. Now go tattletale on the next one. The post I quoted said he was in his early 70’s and you had plenty of time to correct that and we see you didn’t. ????

Edited by alex8912
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1