3M Filtrete for filtering aircon

bbi1

14 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Looked at the HomePro page which says to cut the filter to the size of the air inlet and put it over the air inlet.

On aircon internal units the air INLET is on the top. I think they mean the OUTLET.

INLET is correct. The air is "cleaned" before being cooled and returned to the room.

27 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Gone ahead and placed an online order The people who use it, do you only install it inside your split system aircon or also outside where the big fan is? (The one sitting on the balcony).

The outside unit (compressor) does not need a filter. There is no exchange of air between the outer unit and the room.

13 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

INLET is correct. The air is "cleaned" before being cooled and returned to the room.

So are you saying, unlike the illustration on the HomePro site, that you put the filter on the INLET on the top of the internal unit, or after the air has been cooled, on the OUTLET on the front of the unit. Or actually, you could cut a long piece which would cover the top inlet AND the front outlet and get double cleaning....at twice the cost. NB It should be changed monthly.

AirCon.jpg.0f9c0d0843bc2d747b4029693f862038.jpg

34 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

The outside unit (compressor) does not need a filter. There is no exchange of air between the outer unit and the room.

The exception to this is when the balcony near the compressor unit is used for cooking as many, including me do.  The interior of my fan unit got loaded down with grease and had to be disassembled and cleaned. I now make it a point to turn off the AC when I'm cooking but I also put this same material on the intake side and it works well.

I've been using Filtrete here for several years.  It's expensive.  You should buy the rolls on sale and stock up when you can.

I put Filtrete on my 2 Hepa Filters.  It catches a lot but not everything.  What it does not catch, the HEPA filter does.  

The problem with Filtrete, is that when I use it on the air conditioners, it gets saturated quickly and I have to replace it frequently to keep the air flowing. 

It's a delicate balance.

It is expensive - it is not required - its lowers the efficiency/air flow of air conditioner and is more garbage to destroy.  Most would likely be better served by having six month cleaning of air conditioner (inside and outside units) and if you want HEPA filtered air (better AQI) buy a dedicated unit and filters designed for that. 

If you do use it is probably best to only cover about 2/3 of the input filters.

13 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

I've been using Filtrete here for several years.  It's expensive.  You should buy the rolls on sale and stock up when you can.

I put Filtrete on my 2 Hepa Filters.  It catches a lot but not everything.  What it does not catch, the HEPA filter does.  

The problem with Filtrete, is that when I use it on the air conditioners, it gets saturated quickly and I have to replace it frequently to keep the air flowing. 

It's a delicate balance.

When the rolls are on sale, what price do you roughly pay and where do you buy them? How often do you find you need to replace them in the aircon?

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

When the rolls are on sale, what price do you roughly pay and where do you buy them? How often do you find you need to replace them in the aircon?

You'll have to visually inspect them.  Just lift the filter from the aircon and see how much more airflow goes through it without the Filtrete covered filter.

After a month I see flow cut in half.

As to cost, I have purchased them for as low as 200b a roll.  3M did a two for one last year and I bought 10.

2 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

As to cost, I have purchased them for as low as 200b a roll.  3M did a two for one last year and I bought 10.

Do you mean on the 3mdelivery (dot) com website? Currently the price is 375 baht on their site for the roll, discounted from a 500 baht full price.

32 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Do you mean on the 3mdelivery (dot) com website? Currently the price is 375 baht on their site for the roll, discounted from a 500 baht full price.

That's a good price.  Provide me a link please.  If you can get the roll for 375b, buy it. You won't likely find cheaper anywhere else.

Archived