Imported used cars will be banned next month, here’s what you need to know

webfact

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Sorry but I call bull <deleted> on that.

So quote me a brand of automobile or truck or Thai coach ..
Toyota, Isuzu, Honda, Mitsubishi, etc ... are all japanese brands
Volvo and Scania trucks are from Sweden
Volvo cars from China ( belongs to Geely which is a China manufacture )
Mercedes from .... Germany,

even the old coaches of line are not thai, the bodies are often Padane (Italy) with engines Mercedes or Japanese ...
There is no motor vehicle here in Thailand that is of Thai origin.

2 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

even the old coaches of line are not thai, the bodies are often Padane (Italy) with engines Mercedes or Japanese ...

What are you dribbling about ?

You said they (BMW) were assembled  from 100% imported parts..... I call <deleted> on there being no local part content in the vehicles.

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

You said they (BMW) were assembled  from 100% imported parts..... I call <deleted> on there being no local part content in the vehicles.

What important BMW parts are made in LOS....?

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I have never written BMW;
and even if I did, the BMWs are assembled with 100% of parts from Germany.
It would also be good to avoid using words forbidden by thaivisa's internal dictionary ...

23 hours ago, Don Mega said:

They import 100% of the vehicle content ?

Some companies engage in TKD (total knock down) to avoid some of the duties on an imported new vehicle. They have assembly plants in Thailand that provide employment etc.

Other companies like Toyota manufacture almost entirely in Thailand bow providing business for satelite companies throughout the country.

International steel companies  e.g. Nippon, both manufacture and import materials for the motor industry and other manufacturing. Some very high quality materials are available.

In order for the Thai home motor industry to grow, Thailand has persued highly protectionist policies for the last few decades.

As their market has become more export based and the home market got more sophisticated, it seems that many of the more draconian restrictions on imports are less and  less sensible and a free market approach will be needed to ensure future stability for the home industry.

The secondhand import ban is a symptom of the old thinking even though it represents a tiny part of the motor vehicle market.

43 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

How much is manufactured or assembled in Thailand depends on the company/model.  TKD avoids some taxes, things like pickups and SUV have so much manufactured here that they avoid virtually all duties. They are however restricted in specification by the Thai government.

ALL motor companies are multinational now - the UK motor industry is bigger that it has ever been, but brand names have changed - say good-bye to Lanchester and Austin and hello - (for the time being) to Nissan Toyota and for a few moths, Honda.

Autin/Rover are now I bl;eive Chinese - the biggest motor market in the world. 

BTW - As BMW manufactures a huge part of their range in China, don't assume that parts are imported from Germany.

On 11/29/2019 at 3:57 AM, DLock said:

"The directive, which was announced in July, comes into effect on December 10 and aims to reduce air pollution and improve safety on the roads."

Road safety and air pollution? Really?

Pretty sure anyone going to the trouble of importing cars is bringing in Mercedes and BMW and Porsches that are a few years old...not 1986 Isuzu pickup trucks.

I would imagine that 99% of used cars imported would be 30year old bangers brought

across the border from Laos and Cambodia.

Not every government directive is aimed at the self righteous Thai visa reader.

On 11/29/2019 at 4:13 PM, metempsychotic said:

i really dont understand the hoopla, it pretty clearly says that all cars imported without approval after dec 11 will be seized.

that does not affect cars here already, nor does it state cars cannot be imported, only that they must have approval.

the lot of you make it sound like all used imported cars will explode after midnight.

Read it again. It says they can no longer be imported except in a few very rare cases that no ordinary person cares about.  No more approvals will ever be granted for personal use. Only for those reasons specifically mentioned, like donating it to your favorite government official as a gift.

" Keerati added it is usually takes his department 25 days to approve import applications, so anyone planning to import a used car for personal should scrap the idea as the ban will take effect in 11 days. "

I think that is pretty clear. No more imports for personal use. Ever.

1 hour ago, shy coconut said:

I would imagine that 99% of used cars imported would be 30year old bangers brought

across the border from Laos and Cambodia.

Not every government directive is aimed at the self righteous Thai visa reader.

as cars are more expensive in Laos, I fail to see any reason to bring one over unless it is a model unavailable in Thailabnd.

the numbers in any way you look at it are insignificant - this is clearly not the reason or someone has lost their mind.

Archived