Imported used cars will be banned next month, here’s what you need to know

webfact

this whole shebang, will totally destroy the domestic 2nd hand car sales market...

... no one will trust anyone selling the car - trying to prove that the car they are selling off, has all its Import papers in order 

The Warning is about future Imports, but the Non retroactive clause might still only be put in place for the current owner to continue to own the car.

No mention of the situation if a car being on-sold (that doesn't have the original importing properly done; can be On-Sold... 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, webfact said:

The directive, which was announced in July, comes into effect on December 10 and aims to reduce air pollution and improve safety on the roads.

This stinks to high heaven, what about all the 30/40/50 yr old wrecks that run around  here that one can't see from the polluting  belching smoke and fumes, non rego no insurance not road worthy. I would say they're of their head. So one can't import a used vehicle that has a better anti pollution rating even if it's better being a few yrs old than anything built in Thailand.    ????

Just now, digger70 said:

This stinks to high heaven, what about all the 30/40/50 yr old wrecks that run around  here that one can't see from the polluting  belching smoke and fumes, non rego no insurance not road worthy. I would say they're of their head. So one can't import a used vehicle that has a better anti pollution rating even if it's better being a few yrs old than anything built in Thailand.    ????

yep that's about it...       I still reckon that anyone already owniong one, might simply not be able to on-sell it 

there's not enough 'fine print' to get the whole story (plot) as yet...

40 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

How so?  You can still buy as many second hand cars as you like.  Probably 99% of the second hand car market is cars that were bought or imported new and remain in the country.  What percentage of the second hand car market is people importing used cars for themselves?  Miniscule.

So please explain how it to protect the new Thai car industry.  It clearly isn't.

It's the same situation as in Australia. A protectionist lobby.

Japan has the strictest vehicle laws on the planet. Any vehicle in Japan more than 2 years old is subject to draconian re-registration procedures. You can buy a second-hand 2 yo Toyota or Honda with about 20K to 30K on the odometer for a fraction of the new price. The Kiwis and Burmese gleefully accept the Japanese largesse. The photo is a big Toyota whatever I saw in Yangon.

Do I need to explain further? I've already drawn a picture for you.

IMG20181116110826.jpg

This is total nonsense, as usual. How about impounding and crushing all the black cloud belching old trucks and bikes that plague the roads everywhere who are an enemy of the environment? The amount of times I have to turn off the air-con and close the air intakes when I'm following some vehicle that should never be on the road in the first place ... and you lot are worried about imports? Maybe get your own house in order instead of just looking for the normal scapegoats. 

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Japan has the strictest vehicle laws on the planet. Any vehicle in Japan more than 2 years old is subject to draconian re-registration procedures. You can buy a second-hand 2 yo Toyota or Honda with about 20K to 30K on the odometer for a fraction of the new price. The Kiwis and Burmese gleefully accept the Japanese largesse. The photo is a big Toyota whatever I saw in Yangon.

Thanks for the picture of a Toyota in Yangon, totally unrelated to this topic.  And the Kiwis can knock themselves out - nothing to do with anything.  

I am not arguing that there are great second hand cars in Japan, that's wonderful.  Now please answer my actual question rather than coming out with patronising rubbish like you'll draw me a picture.

What percentage of the second hand car market in Thailand is imported used cars?  I would say 1% maybe.  Go to any second hand car showroom, any second hand car website, any authorised second hand dealer and they are ALL cars that were made in Thailand or imported as new, either as CBU or CKD.   They are NOT cars that were imported used.  Imported used cars are subject to the usual huge import duties and taxes so there is no benefit to doing it.  It is NOT similar to the law in Australia as Australia does not have the same prohibitive import duties and taxes that Thailand has.  Very very few people import second hand cars here.

This new law will not change the second hand or new car market one iota.

Now where's this picture you promised me?  Care to draw any facts about the issue?  Or just want to continue with generic irrelevant nonsense?

6 hours ago, tifino said:

The Warning is about future Imports, but the Non retroactive clause might still only be put in place for the current owner to continue to own the car.

Pure speculation, the article indicates nothing to this effect. 

And any car with incorrect import papers has always been subject to seizure, the only difference now is that it could not be picked up after seizure via the much abused auction system.  

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

IMG20181116110826.jpg

What are you on about? New Zealand? Myanmar? 

?

Such an import would have been both expensive and impractical in Thailand in the first place. 

12 hours ago, tifino said:

this whole shebang, will totally destroy the domestic 2nd hand car sales market...

... no one will trust anyone selling the car - trying to prove that the car they are selling off, has all its Import papers in order 

No mention of the situation if a car being on-sold (that doesn't have the original importing properly done; can be On-Sold... 

what a load of  dribble.

10 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Thanks for the picture of a Toyota in Yangon, totally unrelated to this topic.  And the Kiwis can knock themselves out - nothing to do with anything.  

I am not arguing that there are great second hand cars in Japan, that's wonderful.  Now please answer my actual question rather than coming out with patronising rubbish like you'll draw me a picture.

What percentage of the second hand car market in Thailand is imported used cars?  I would say 1% maybe.  Go to any second hand car showroom, any second hand car website, any authorised second hand dealer and they are ALL cars that were made in Thailand or imported as new, either as CBU or CKD.   They are NOT cars that were imported used.  Imported used cars are subject to the usual huge import duties and taxes so there is no benefit to doing it.  It is NOT similar to the law in Australia as Australia does not have the same prohibitive import duties and taxes that Thailand has.  Very very few people import second hand cars here.

This new law will not change the second hand or new car market one iota.

Now where's this picture you promised me?  Care to draw any facts about the issue?  Or just want to continue with generic irrelevant nonsense?

It's a little bit ironic you are confirming my argument for me. I said Thailand is protectionist, to support the new car industry. This new law is a bit more icing on the protection cake.

The law in Australia may be different - it's based on BS safety compliance standards, not tariffs. Its effect is exactly the same, and the lobby responsible for it is the same - the new car industry.

Thai and Australian consumers are taken for mugs. How else would a brand new Mitsubishi Triton pickup cost more at its point of manufacture here, than landed in Australia, by about 20%? If you think the Thai secondhand is not rigged to a fare-thee-well, you don't understand depreciation.

10 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Very very few people import second hand cars here.

There were recent scandals about Customs flogging off stolen luxury cars from the UK.

There was a massive countrywide racket in importing second hand luxury cars, there always has been in Thailand. 

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

They import 100% of the vehicle content ?

No, but they don't meet the percentage to qualify for the tax breaks that Mazda, Honda, Toyota do.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

It's a little bit ironic you are confirming my argument for me. I said Thailand is protectionist, to support the new car industry. This new law is a bit more icing on the protection cake.

The law in Australia may be different - it's based on BS safety compliance standards, not tariffs. Its effect is exactly the same, and the lobby responsible for it is the same - the new car industry.

Thai and Australian consumers are taken for mugs. How else would a brand new Mitsubishi Triton pickup cost more at its point of manufacture here, than landed in Australia, by about 20%? If you think the Thai secondhand is not rigged to a fare-thee-well, you don't understand depreciation.

Ok so you just ignored the question again, thanks. 

This is a directive aimed primarily at the ex-pat community. Each resident was legally entitled to import one motor vehicle. A friend of mine did so. Even though he complied with everything they asked for, it still took him over 24 months, and 38 visits to the ministry. And even now, it is being held up at the port, due to some inane details that he already addressed. The rich and elite here will continue to be able to circumvent the laws, with a bag full of cash. 

Thailand is moving backwards at a pace that is so stunning, it boggles the mind. This administration makes the work regressive seem meaningless, and as they are re-defining the concept daily. Prayuth and his unbelievably feckless and inept army. The worst thing that ever happened to Thailand. 

45 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This is a directive aimed primarily at the ex-pat community. Each resident was legally entitled to import one motor vehicle. A friend of mine did so. Even though he complied with everything they asked for, it still took him over 24 months, and 38 visits to the ministry. And even now, it is being held up at the port, due to some inane details that he already addressed. The rich and elite here will continue to be able to circumvent the laws, with a bag full of cash. 

Thailand is moving backwards at a pace that is so stunning, it boggles the mind. This administration makes the work regressive seem meaningless, and as they are re-defining the concept daily. Prayuth and his unbelievably feckless and inept army. The worst thing that ever happened to Thailand. 

Mike, what was your buddy bringing in, just as a matter of interest.

I wonder what will happen to all the current "Importers". Kill an entire industry?

I bought a car from The Sun auto importers in Chiang Mai. You basically told them what you wanted and they went and found it, most in Germany or UK. 

1 hour ago, DLock said:

Mike, what was your buddy bringing in, just as a matter of interest.

I wonder what will happen to all the current "Importers". Kill an entire industry?

I bought a car from The Sun auto importers in Chiang Mai. You basically told them what you wanted and they went and found it, most in Germany or UK. 

It will further decimate an economy that is already hurting. For small minds, completely lacking in creative juice, the answer is always higher taxes, more duty, more restrictions on imports and more luxury tax. The exact opposite of the way a vibrant and progressive economy and nation works. Woe is Thailand. They are truly in for a world of hurt. Just give it a few more years of truly regressive policy. 

My friend brought in a 13 year old BMW motorcycle. And they sweated him endlessly over it. It was beyond inane. 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

It will further decimate an economy that is already hurting. For small minds, completely lacking in creative juice, the answer is always higher taxes, more duty, more restrictions on imports and more luxury tax. The exact opposite of the way a vibrant and progressive economy and nation works. Woe is Thailand. They are truly in for a world of hurt. Just give it a few more years of truly regressive policy. 

My friend brought in a 13 year old BMW motorcycle. And they sweated him endlessly over it. It was beyond inane. 

Can't say I disagree with you.

If feels like the proverbial crash is slow motion. We can see all the signs of what is about to happen, but the Government are unwilling or unable to see it and correct the situation.

I really believe Thailand is in for a very long hard fall and it's not very far away...

23 hours ago, Don Mega said:

They import 100% of the vehicle content ?

Yes, they do ; There are only assembly plants in this country

and fortunately because if the pieces were made here with the same professional conscience that they put in the construction or the electricity, it would give a monumental carnage on the roads of Thailand;
we would not have 26,000 deaths a year but 260,000 ...:1zgarz5:

Archived