Imported used cars will be banned next month, here’s what you need to know

webfact

34 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah, nice one.

The person I replied to was talking about the safety vehicle used at the motoGP... it was an M8 and it aint made here.

M8 are still not affected as they are new and corporate vehicles. BMW can import as much new foreign assembled cars as they want.

This is just to <deleted> the small people, who buy used cars either to save cash or as their hobby, hisos and riches are unaffected. Like always.  

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Did actually read the article ?

Yes, I did. It stipulates "vehicles for museum display". Only a tiny, tiny fraction of vintage cars are displayed in museums. The vast majority are owned by private collectors, who do not display them museum-style.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The directive, which was announced in July, comes into effect on December 10 and aims to reduce air pollution and improve safety on the roads.

Another character who does not know what he is talking about, in the US and the EU catalysts have been used for decades, the cars that are imported from these countries are of EVERY vehicle that runs in Thailand!
Why don't you try to explain the real reason for this prohibition dictated by a totalitarian government?

Dang! And I was just planning to have my '63 Ferrari 250 GTO shipped over. Maybe I can license as a taxi?

Minister like this can't be born this stupid. Ya gotta work at it. Hard work and dedication: "If it ain't broke, ...break it"

Surprising, the hiso elite used this as a route to avoid taxes on high end cars like Ferraro and Lamborghini. They send their kids to school in the UK, send them the money to buy the cars and then two years later they could import the car duty free. 

Complete BS, it's to protect the Thai new car industry. BS cubed when the spokesman said it was to reduce air pollution. If the government was really serious about reducing that, 25% of the vehicles in Thailand would be put off the road.

44 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

Yes, I did. It stipulates "vehicles for museum display". Only a tiny, tiny fraction of vintage cars are displayed in museums. The vast majority are owned by private collectors, who do not display them museum-style.

Where does it state this new law affects imported vehicles currently in the country..... that was what your concern was.

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Turning into North Korea Mk.2.....................????

I wish Thailand was like South Korea !!

It is possible to import a foreign car into South Korea if the owner plans to live in the country for at least one year. Cars may also be imported by people entering the country with a family member and planning to stay for a minimum of six months. The only exception is that Japanese cars are not allowed. Only small and medium sized vehicles may be imported; mobile homes, trucks and other vehicles which seat more than 10 passengers are not allowed.

The car must have been owned and registered in the name of the person importing it for at least three months before shipping. If a car is imported into the country within six months of the owner moving to South Korea, it will be classed as being part of their household goods. This means that the car will not be subject to further tests after it clears customs.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

And what will happen to the vehicles that are en route already and began their journey before this ban was announced? Such a piece of legislation should really have had a much more lengthy warning before coming into effect. Don't know what caused it, but as is so often the case, seems to be an ill thought through knee jerk reaction, with protection for the domestic industry probably figuring more highly than emissions..

Notice was already given of this 6 months in advance 

So plenty of advance notice for this issue

15 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Complete BS, it's to protect the Thai new car industry. BS cubed when the spokesman said it was to reduce air pollution. If the government was really serious about reducing that, 25% of the vehicles in Thailand would be put off the road.

"Reduce air pollution and the safety thingy"...........????...........Gawd

LOS air pollution is homegrown, nothing to do with imported cars.

Safety, first word countries have very strict yearly vehicle tests, so I would assume most imported cars would have been through the mill, in LOS the vehicle tests are a 99% joke....

2 hours ago, Chazar said:

aims to reduce air pollution and improve safety on the roads.

why not start with the polluting heaps driving around belching black exhaust smoke plus the busses that are 40 years old these are the polluters. None thinking   bureaucrats fools. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The directive, which was announced in July, comes into effect on December 10 and aims to reduce air pollution and improve safety on the roads.

Coming from the commerce ministry I rather suspect this is a covert move to shore up domestic trade.

8 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Coming from the commerce ministry I rather suspect this is a covert move to shore up domestic trade.

Absolutely.

Personally I would love to import some classic cars into Thailand as weekend toys, but I guess that is never going to happen.

i really dont understand the hoopla, it pretty clearly says that all cars imported without approval after dec 11 will be seized.

that does not affect cars here already, nor does it state cars cannot be imported, only that they must have approval.

the lot of you make it sound like all used imported cars will explode after midnight.

9 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

i really dont understand the hoopla, it pretty clearly says that all cars imported without approval after dec 11 will be seized.

that does not affect cars here already, nor does it state cars cannot be imported, only that they must have approval.

the lot of you make it sound like all used imported cars will explode after midnight.

I agree.

Thai Visa farang posters the only thing in Thailand crazier than Thai immigration officers.

10 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

Any vehicle currently imported without out an import permit issued by the ministry of commerce will also be seized so not sure what this article is even about..... or is it come December 10 the ministry of commerce will no longer issue import permits ?

Another brilliant winner from the Ministry of Stupid Ideas. Imagine, they get paid to come up with this stuff.

I recall seeing them crush a Ferrari at Customs. Could they not have auctioned it off and donated the proceeds to a worthy cause? No, that would have required brains.

6 hours ago, xylophone said:

I think it is not a retroactive measure, so that existing imports are ok..........did I get that right??

For all of those worried about this new ruling, I did try to cover it in post #22.......it is not retroactive so doesn't apply to imported cars already here.

Rest easy. 

29 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Another brilliant winner from the Ministry of Stupid Ideas. Imagine, they get paid to come up with this stuff.

I recall seeing them crush a Ferrari at Customs. Could they not have auctioned it off and donated the proceeds to a worthy cause? No, that would have required brains.

The person who won the auction would have had to pay the import taxes !!

I thought only Thais could import a vehicle into Thailand. The vehicle must have been owned for at least 2 years before it could be imported.

I recently looked into the policy, but with only a cursory look at the regulations. Maybe I missed something.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Complete BS, it's to protect the Thai new car industry. 

How so?  You can still buy as many second hand cars as you like.  Probably 99% of the second hand car market is cars that were bought or imported new and remain in the country.  What percentage of the second hand car market is people importing used cars for themselves?  Miniscule.

So please explain how it to protect the new Thai car industry.  It clearly isn't.

Archived