BMA continues programme to open pedestrian streets

webfact

BMA continues programme to open pedestrian streets

By The Nation

800_c284b4550079ce7.jpg?v=1575008695

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is planning to turn the road along Khlong Ong Ang canal into a walking street to promote tourism.

Bangkok Governor, Pol Gen Aswin Kwanmuang said on Thursday (November 28) that parking in the area is currently prohibited and that he has instructed local authorities to coordinate with building owners to clean up the awnings in order to improve the landscape.

“We are considering guidelines for turning this area into a pedestrian street,” he said. “It will feature various activities including musical performances and small retailers. Details will be discussed later but the main objective is to keep it clean and tidy to attract local and foreign tourists. For the landscape improvements along the path from Khlong Ong Ang to Pom Maha Kan fort, we need to obtain permission from the Board of Rattanakosin Island before proceeding.” 

kdjbgbaa8ab6ga99g5ggd.jpg

The governor added that BMA has also scheduled to open two roads as walking streets, namely Yaowarat Road in Samphanthawong district and Silom Road in Bang Rak district, December 15 this year while on December 16, it will launch another at Khao San Road in Phra Nakhon district.

Related Story: Yaowarat could soon have Sunday walking streets

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378891

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-29

Is this news? I read this kind of stories so often here! Where I come from (The Netherlands) almost every bigger city has walking streets and special early and late hours for the trucks to supply the shops. Why is Bangkok or Pattaya so special to mention this only to lure more tourists, or is it that they think they invented it as they so often do.

Many large cities seem to pedestrianising. I watch quite a few 'walking videos' of city streets, and I've been surprised at what places like London, New York, Budapest and others have done to return the streets to the people.

It is absurd that Pattaya allows thousands of cars and buses along Beach Road, which is often choked with traffic, when instead they could make Second Road two-way and completely pedestrianise the beach area. Just imagine how nice it could be with no traffic.

• Like 2