Mobile phone options

NewbieInBangkok

Hi,

We are moving to Bangkok and will need to get a Sim for mobile phone data.  What options are available?  We have phones so just need the Sim but not sure if we can get a contract or if pay as you go is the way to go?  We will both have visas (work and spouse) but getting a contract might be a problem at first until bank account is set up.

Which companies are best?  Ideas on best packages?  What do you folks use?

Links to any websites appreciated if info is in English.

12 minutes ago, NewbieInBangkok said:

Thanks guys!  

every mall seems to have a company store, where you can take care of payments, registration, etc..  not something you need to do at the airport, but many do.  the mall shops will have good evening hours...get a prepay, and then take care of internet later..no telling g what your options on that are until you find a place..the big three mobile phones work everywhere, but you may face hurdles on internet..private condo will be more likely to give you the most options..newish apartments might require you to use their wifi...

Edited by moontang

Just now, moontang said:

every mall seems to have a company store, where you can take care of payments, registration, etc..  not something you need to do at the airport, but many do.  the mall shops will have good evening hours...get abprepay, and then take care of internet later..no telling g what your options on that are until you find a place..the big three mobile phones work everywhere, but you may face hurdles on internet..private condo will be more likely to give you the most options..newish apartments might require you to use their wifi...

Our rent includes internet fee so we are sorted on that front apparently.  My husband will get a phone from work so it’s really just me that needs a Sim.  I’ve never had a pay as you go as the countries I’ve lived in were easy and cheaper to get contract but I did wonder if in Thailand it might be easier to get pay as you go.  I dunno ????‍♀️????

If I’m getting a pay as you go then I might just pick it up from airport when we land.  When we came over a few weeks ago we were just so busy I didn’t have a chance to get one or check them out.

3 minutes ago, NewbieInBangkok said:

Our rent includes internet fee so we are sorted on that front apparently.  My husband will get a phone from work so it’s really just me that needs a Sim.  I’ve never had a pay as you go as the countries I’ve lived in were easy and cheaper to get contract but I did wonder if in Thailand it might be easier to get pay as you go.  I dunno ????‍♀️????

If I’m getting a pay as you go then I might just pick it up from airport when we land.  When we came over a few weeks ago we were just so busy I didn’t have a chance to get one or check them out.

get you a bottle of booze, when you land at king power..I bought a liter of Jameson for 900 THB...get the SIM at the Mall...you will thank me.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Not necessary.  Far better deals to be had in-town.  

Oh!  So the companies mentioned above don’t sell Sims at airport?  

Its mobile data that I need more than calls and texts.  I remember seeing a YouTube video and the guy mentioned a great mobile package that wasn’t advertised in the shops but if you asked they would sell it...but for the life of me I can’t remember the info or which vlog it was.

2 minutes ago, moontang said:

get you a bottle of booze, when you land at king power..I bought a liter of Jameson for 900 THB...get the SIM at the Mall...you will thank me.  

Are there no places to buy reasonably priced booze in Bangkok?

Whats the difference between getting Sim at a mall rather than airport?  Do they have airport-only higher prices for same package as you get cheaper in mall? 

booze is very expensive in Thailand..Jameson is 6-700 TUB more per liter in town, and there are some counterfeiting problems.  get a sim, and you will get daily text messages with data plans, that you can just type in a code to activate.  money changers are better downtown, too.

• Like 1

“If I’m getting a pay as you go then I might just pick it up from airport when we land.“

The tourist sims they have at the airport may not be able to be extended past the original 7-14 days of validity... Many places sell regular sims... Lazada has great deals on long term 12 month sims that include data too...

I just bought this... 12 months 60gb/month data for 1,250... 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/max-speed-60gb-true-wifi-1-wifi-sim-turbo-1-net-i548788734-s995152995.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.5.415929bc0mZIDi&search=1

Edited by sfokevin

49 minutes ago, NewbieInBangkok said:

Thanks guys!  

a AIS SIM card costs 50 baht. Period. put in your phone. download AIS app. log in with your phone number. choose package. can change at anytime. Pay with banking app, in the malls at AIS, many options.    

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, moontang said:

booze is very expensive in Thailand..Jameson is 6-700 TUB more per liter in town, and there are some counterfeiting problems.  get a sim, and you will get daily text messages with data plans, that you can just type in a code to activate.  money changers are better downtown, too.

Eeeek!  How much is a bottle of Tanqueray for example?  In Japan it’s only around 400 baht for a 750ml bottle.  The price of the tonic is more the killer here.  

Are places like Big C, the mall supermarkets and 7-11s safe from counterfeits?

Might need to bring some with us from Japan then ????

thanks for info ????

20 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

“If I’m getting a pay as you go then I might just pick it up from airport when we land.“

The tourist sims they have at the airport may not be able to be extended past the original 7-14 days of validity... Many places sell regular sims... Lazada has great deals on long term 12 month sims that include data too...

I just bought this... 12 months 60gb/month data for 1,250... 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/max-speed-60gb-true-wifi-1-wifi-sim-turbo-1-net-i548788734-s995152995.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.5.415929bc0mZIDi&search=1

Oh!  Great info thanks!  

14 minutes ago, NewbieInBangkok said:

Eeeek!  How much is a bottle of Tanqueray for example?  In Japan it’s only around 400 baht for a 750ml bottle.  The price of the tonic is more the killer here.  

Are places like Big C, the mall supermarkets and 7-11s safe from counterfeits?

Might need to bring some with us from Japan then ????

thanks for info ????

duty free sells the liters..the stores will sell more 70 cl, and you hardly get any savings for buying large.  the Abso!ut seems to be commonly fake, and same for Johnnie walker...I am thinking 1000 THB for Tangerey Gin, but I am not a big gun drinker..seen the gilbets, too. Will let you know...can bring in 1 liter per person, and don't carry anyone else s, including your spouse.  biggest problem with airport SIM might be waiting in front of, behind, or with a tour bus full of chinese..but if it is empty and you got time..go for it..there is a bit of a registration process...can vary, and I haven't do e it in years, but they are going to want some info.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moontang said:

duty free sells the liters..the stores will sell more 70 cl, and you hardly get any savings for buying large.  the Abso!ut seems to be commonly fake, and same for Johnnie walker...I am thinking 1000 THB for Tangerey Gin, but I am not a big gun drinker..seen the gilbets, too. Will let you know...can bring in 1 liter per person, and don't carry anyone else s, including your spouse.  biggest problem with airport SIM might be waiting in front of, behind, or with a tour bus full of chinese..but if it is empty and you got time..go for it..there is a bit of a registration process...can vary, and I haven't do e it in years, but they are going to want some info.

After getting advice from you guys and checking them out I’ll just wait to get a Sim after we get checked in at hotel as the shopping mall is across the street.  I do remember seeing long queues at the airport now you mention it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, moontang said:

bad news...Tanqueray is 1169 THB for a 750 ml at Tesco....welcome to Thailand!

https://shoponline.tescolotus.com/groceries/en-GB/products/6072051221

pretty easy to get 320 ml cans of Scweppes tonic for 15 THB , though...limes are usually quite cheap.

Thanks for that depressing news ????. Mind you, we pay about 70 baht for Fevertree tonic and 55 baht for a lime here so it probably all evens out. 

I embarrassed myself in Bangkok when I asked for a beer at 4pm.  I had no idea there was a midday ban.  Is that all over Thailand, even in the tourist spots like Krabi, Koh Samui etc?

Disclaimer: Despite this thread turning into booze chat, we are not big drinkers or party animals but a cold beer after golf and a gin and tonic in the evening will be sorely missed ????

Obscure mom and pop places, as well as some higher end touristy areas will sell midday..but no 711 or any other computerized store will sell.  Be on the lookout for Buddhist holidays, too.  They have loosened up just a little on bar closing at midnight, but I hear very strict, still, in Chiang Mai.  Mostly the smaller limes here, similar to Key Limes, seen them as high as 5 each, and as little as 20 THB for 50.  Haven't seen a lemon 

in months.

Oh, and more bad news is the wine situation is worse than quite a few prisons.  

Edited by moontang
  • Like 1

I will answer your question since some didn’t. If you have a work permit, you can get a post paid account. Post paid is cheaper than prepaid and has many advantages such as being able to use an Apple Watch not paired to your iPhone, unlimited data plans, better promotions, and often the big 3 will give you 50% of their packages if you switch from one to another. Hope that helps.

Edited by wmlc
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1