An inroad of EVs offers opportunities and challenges

rooster59

An inroad of EVs offers opportunities and challenges

EV-Charge-Point.png

Although electric car has yet to go mainstream in Thailand, there is a foregone conclusion that its popularity will significantly increase in the next few years, fueled by a wider variety of choices, recharging stations and, of course, more affordable price.

A number of electric vehicles (EV), some of them are made in Thailand, have recently been launched earlier this year to excite the market. After all, there is a general consensus among motorists that it’s time to use eco-friendly vehicles amid rising concerns over the air pollution globally.

However, the Thai motorists have so far have not fully gone EV. Many consumers have not had full understanding about EVs while some are waiting for more availability of infrastructure to support EV such as recharging stations. Also, some EV models are still very expensive, especially when compared with certain models of eco-cars.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/an-inroad-of-evs-offers-opportunities-and-challenges/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-12-01

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

It will be a long long time before people think about buying an EV to replace their pick ups.

Even if EV's were offered at a reasonable price in Thailand will owners accept that their gasoline/diesel vehicles will drop big time in re-sale value.

In Europe we are used to the fact that car values plummet in say 5 years from purchase price. Here a one year old car is offered at almost new price, In UK/EU 30/50% drop would not be unusual ( talking bog standard family car as most are in Thailand ). Somchai and co' won't accept that and just keep it rather than lose money ( and face ).

I think hybrid is the only way that Thailand will go for quite a few years.

They like the noise as well

Edited by Redline
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Thian said:

Thailand already has issues with delivering enough electricity during summer.....If they all start charging their car as well the grid can't handle it...we'll see those nice cables above the sidewalk starting to glow..

Going a bit further on that. EV's will be 90% used in daylight hours. Every night at home they will be 'plugged in' to recharge. Power stations do have a lower load during night hours so a reduced need to burn fossil fuels etc. This will change when everyone has an EV so power generation will require more fossil fuels to keep going. You can't use solar power when there isn't any 'solar'. ( excuse expression ).

Everyone has jumped on the EV idea because they are easily conned by Gov's who use the 'carbon tax' to con' them out of money.

It's all too late to save the planet as we know it now.

The good times for the planet have gone and they ain't coming back until a very big percentage of the worlds population dies off. It isn't going to be nice and I'm very thankful I have no kids, and their kids to suffer what is coming.

I was going to say at my age I might not see the start of it but maybe in fact I have.

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Going a bit further on that. EV's will be 90% used in daylight hours. Every night at home they will be 'plugged in' to recharge. Power stations do have a lower load during night hours so a reduced need to burn fossil fuels etc. This will change when everyone has an EV so power generation will require more fossil fuels to keep going. You can't use solar power when there isn't any 'solar'. ( excuse expression ).

Everyone has jumped on the EV idea because they are easily conned by Gov's who use the 'carbon tax' to con' them out of money.

It's all too late to save the planet as we know it now.

The good times for the planet have gone and they ain't coming back until a very big percentage of the worlds population dies off. It isn't going to be nice and I'm very thankful I have no kids, and their kids to suffer what is coming.

I was going to say at my age I might not see the start of it but maybe in fact I have.

Well if the cables start glowing at night they can turn the streetlights of...that saves energy.

And i wonder how many more cables the thai powerpoles can bear...they even don't have a foundation and are just sticked in the soil.

In Holland the electric company had a great idea to store electricity from solarpower...they would temporary load it into the batteries of EV's which were connected to the grid. At night they would suck it out again if needed.

Guess they forgot that a battery can only be charged so many times before it needs to be replaced.

They try to force us into EV's without letting real technici making a decent plan..it's the lefties who think they can force it into society but without a proper technical design it won't work and/or will get very dangerous.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thai motorists have so far have not fully gone EV

That is because there are no EV vehicles manufactured in Thailand and importation of used (EV) foreign cars is now banned. And even if they have one where do they plug it into to recharge; the power point in the garage maybe.

So where do Thai drivers get new EV vehicles. Pedo guy maybe.

If the Thai Government were serious about EV's they would reduce the Tax - the basic Tesla Model 3 would be available for 1.2MB (or thereabouts).

The charging issues as mentioned by many are the greatest flaw in this system - each home would have to have a huge battery charged up in the day time to offset the overnight demand.

The charging technology and infrastructure is way too immature for EV's to go mainstream at the moment. 

The other concern, where does that power come from. 

Cities would be cleaner, but the energy needs to come from somewhere, its either Petroleum or Nuclear (renewables can't provide the sufficient energy needs of a culture reliant on EV's), added to which the 'environmental friendliness' of the materials required for these advanced batteries raises a great deal of questions. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

That is because there are no EV vehicles manufactured in Thailand and importation of used (EV) foreign cars is now banned. And even if they have one where do they plug it into to recharge; the power point in the garage maybe.

China, just saw 2 of the MG ZSEV’s around Chiang Mai and one near Mae Hong Son

11 hours ago, Cadbury said:

I went to the Motor Show last Saturday. Mercedes Benz had a very large range of electric vehicles on show, as did BMW. Lot of interest with people looking. Noticeably younger people and couples. 

Recyling of the old batteries from what I read is something of an afterthought. Not my figures ---- when, as happens, the batteries get to the point where they only accept 80% of a full chatge they need to be replaced.

Landfill is a no-no for obvious reasons of pollution and the risk of fire/explosion after being buried.

Breaking down the old to recover useful 'parts' and materials is very difficult for similar reasons. The idea of using a robotic system for this would also depend on all manufacturers building exactly the same batteries or different robots for every make of battery.

In Japan they are using some pre-used car batteries hooked up to solar power to supply some 7/11 shops, but, eventually those batteries will need to be recycled in the near (?) furure.

Still a lot of things to be fixed before we all go EV crazy.

Edited by overherebc

14 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

I have begun seeing the charging stations pop up around Pattaya.

thai-electic-chage.jpg

I've seen the transformer (high on the poles or wall) explode several times...one time i passed a mall and saw a huge lightning (it was a sunny day) and one exploded above people at the busstop...nobody in panic though...happens every day.