Cost of health insurance for 70yo

I am starting the process to get a new O-A visa when I visit Australia. I looked at one web site that said health insurance for a 70 yo would be 245,000 baht. Is this correct? That is a lot of money and would deter me from retiring here. Who provides the cheapest insurance I can get?

i have seen  on this site information on recommended/approved   thai companies for this purpose  i suggest a little more investigation will lead you to quest   best of luck  why do you want an OA  not poss for O    ??

It will be substantially more than that if from one of the "approved" Thai companies. See the chart  in this threadhttps://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1129628-oam-visa-insurance-options/For a new visa you can also use a foreign policy provided the company will sign the designated form here  http://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa  (most will not) OR the Embassy/Consulate will accept policy documents in lieu of that form. You have to ask the Embassy/Consulate about that.

However even a foreign travel policy will likely cost more than equivalent of 26,000 baht.

You will be allowed to enter only up to the expiration date of your policy and after that if re-entering on same visa will have to have a local policy, only at the initial issuance of a visa abroad can you use a foreign policy.

• Like 1

Yeah why go for a O-A when there is suitable O:s??? Check up things MUCH better, I would never in hell go for a health insurance in not forced to. and you are NOT forved to...

READ UP ON THE SUBJECT and you will find a rosegarden

glegolo

• Thanks 1

The attached post, describes the steps taken by a TVF member to get a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

Following a similar route you can avoid the worthless and expensive health-insurance requirement imposed on an OA retirement Visa.

And once you are on extension of stay, there is NO difference anymore between OA or O.

Except of course for the head-ache health-insurance requirement which is not required when applying for or extending from a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

• Like 1

"looked at one web site that said health insurance for a 70 yo would be 245,000 baht." 

A tiny problem is that you will get every year 1 year older... That is not good for premiums or contracts. Better look for an O visa but there is no guarantee that in the future... 

• Like 1

Thanks. I have a better idea now about getting an "O" visa. The Thai embassy web page in Sydney says: This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to visit their family in Thailand. There are 2 categories of a Non-Immigrant “O” Visa: Single Entry and Multiple Entries, so I thought I was not eligible. I have to leave Thailand on Tuesday as I am selling my house in Australia, which puts time pressure on me. As I now understand, when I return at the end of December I get a 30-day tourist visa then visit immigration and start the process to convert to an "O" visa.

Problem: I need to change condos on 12th January. Will the new condo owner let me rent if I am on a 30-day tourist visa?

WELCOME TO THAILAND

Apply for Health Insurance for Long Stay Visa.

gives ya all the ones approved.

https://longstay.tgia.org/

https://www.thaivivat.co.th/non-immigrant/

Coverage Sum Insured
HNIV01 HNIV02 HNIV03
Overall maximum limit per year 400,000 600,000 800,000
IPD
Room & Board incl. nursing service
- Room and board including nursing & service charges (Max per day) 4,000 6,000 8,000
- ICU room and board including nursing and service charges (Max per day) 8,000 12,000 16,000
Hospital general expenses / Disability
- Hospital general expenses / Disability, Incl. follow-up OPD treatments up to max 30 days after discharge Actual Cost
- Emergency OPD treatment for Accident, incl. follow up treatments up to max 15 days
Surgical fee per disability
- Surgical fee per disability (Including surgeon's consultations) Actual Cost
In Patient Physicain's fee for doctor visits
- In-patient Physician's fees for doctor visits (Max 1 visit per day) Actual Cost
Personal Accident
- Lump Sum payment in the event of death or dismemberment including murder, assault, driving and being passenger on motorcycle 100,000 100,000 100,000
Additional Cover
- Out patient Cover Max 1 Visit per day 2,000
40,000 per year
60,000 per year
80,000 per year
- Transportation Cost for IPD case only (Max 30 times per year) 1,000 1,000 1,000
Age Annual Premium Incl. SBT & Stamp Duty
HNIV01 HNIV02 HNIV03
50 Years 36,000 57,600 92,200
51 - 60 Years 46,000 73,600 117,800
61 - 70 Years 59,000 88,500  
71 - 75 Years 81,000    
76 -100 Years (Renewal Only) 120,000    

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OzMan said:

Thanks. I have a better idea now about getting an "O" visa. The Thai embassy web page in Sydney says: This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to visit their family in Thailand. There are 2 categories of a Non-Immigrant “O” Visa: Single Entry and Multiple Entries, so I thought I was not eligible. I have to leave Thailand on Tuesday as I am selling my house in Australia, which puts time pressure on me. As I now understand, when I return at the end of December I get a 30-day tourist visa then visit immigration and start the process to convert to an "O" visa.

Yes, applying for a Non Imm O Visa once you are in Thailand and later applying for a 1-year extension, is the way to go if you want to avoid the worthless/expensive thai health-insurance requirement.

For entering Thailand you can come either Visa exempt or with a Tourist Visa applied for in your home-country.

Sorry  I misread what you had written as 24,500 and missed the 0. You can get  a Thai policy  for under 100k (now...it will shoot up at age 76 and again at 81 and 86 and eventually exceed 200k). Less if you take a deductible (Pacific Cross) but only do that if you canafgord to self pay the deductible or have orher insurance.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, applying for a Non Imm O Visa once you are in Thailand and later applying for a 1-year extension, is the way to go if you want to avoid the worthless/expensive thai health-insurance requirement.

For entering Thailand you can come either Visa exempt or with a Tourist Visa applied for in your home-country.

You can of course also apply for the Non Imm O Visa in your home-country.

21 hours ago, 3421abc said:

You should be careful making long term plans to live in Thailand without insurance. They can at any time change the rules and require all retirees to have insurance.

I made the bad decision to retire in Thailand many years ago. At the time it seemed OK.

Fortunately for now I'm on extensions from an original Non O visa so no scam insurance needed for me right now.

I have invested in two houses, land, car for my TGF.

I'm too old to get the scam insurance if they insist on it in the future.

I have a pension and still some money in the bank so my Plan B is to go back to Belgium if I cannot stay here anymore because I cannot get a forced scam insurance.

I've lived in Thailand for 30+ years and I'm very happy with my TGF but I have to prepare for the worse.

I have started looking at Senior Homes in Belgium.

I've not lived there for over 50 years.

Not the retired life I had envision.

My advice : DO NOT MAKE PLANS TO RETIRE IN THAILAND.

Me I'm stuck here.

Edited by jayceenik
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, jayceenik said:

I made the bad decision to retire in Thailand many years ago. At the time it seemed OK.

Fortunately for now I'm on extensions from an original Non O visa so no scam insurance needed for me right now.

I have invested in two houses, land, car for my TGF.

I'm too old to get the scam insurance if they insist on it in the future.

I have a pension and still some money in the bank so my Plan B is to go back to Belgium if I cannot stay here anymore because I cannot get a forced scam insurance.

I've lived in Thailand for 30+ years and I'm very happy with my TGF but I have to prepare for the worse.

I have started looking at Senior Homes in Belgium.

I've not lived there for over 50 years.

Not the retired life I had envision.

My advice : DO NOT MAKE PLANS TO RETIRE IN THAILAND.

Me I'm stuck here.

I have been here since my 20s.. and am now in my late 40s.. 

I still have a few decades where I can consider myself able to leave, but if I dont achieve a PR or citizenship status in that time I think I will be eyeing my depature before old age. Just dont see the security to ease into advanced years.