solar power for air con

johnmcc6

1 unit/day from a 330w panel (2m x1m), cost around 4,000bht each.

Lets say each air-con takes 1 unit/hour ........ so 3 air-cons would need 3 panels for every hour of use.

How many hours a day do your air-cons run?

Hope you have big land for the solar panel farm.

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

1 unit/day from a 330w panel (2m x1m), cost around 4,000bht each.

Lets say each air-con takes 1 unit/hour ........ so 3 air-cons would need 3 panels for every hour of use.

How many hours a day do your air-cons run?

Hope you have big land for the solar panel farm.

Thanks Brit Man. I have the land but no desire to screw up the views with what would be a monstrosity.

I suppose  I could build a house for the cost of batteries?? Looks like fans will have to do.

11 minutes ago, johnmcc6 said:

Thanks Brit Man. I have the land but no desire to screw up the views with what would be a monstrosity.

I suppose  I could build a house for the cost of batteries?? Looks like fans will have to do.

Generators are cheap and can be quiet.

14 minutes ago, johnmcc6 said:

Don't give up so quickly. Here an aircon that even works without any power. To increase the efficiency you can put a fan there to blow air to the bottles. But I could not find out the BTU...

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/zero-electricity-air-con-made-of-plastic-bottles

Not practical at all. Add the cost of panels, control system, batteries (which do not last forever) and you could pay PEA for donkeys years and still come out ahead.

Only practical for DC water pumps, fridges, lights etc.

Nothing Hi draw like an aircon, which - if not an inverter style - can take 2 to 3 times the running wattage to start it.

Many websites devoted to this subject. Allow you to input your requirements and size a system. Sans aircon of course.

I moved from Bkk a couple of years ago. Down there, it was next to impossible to sleep without the air con running. Now here in San Sai, I haven’t needed to switch on my aircon for over 3 months and unlikely to have to do so for the next few months. 

On 12/1/2019 at 2:52 PM, Beggar said:

Don't give up so quickly. Here an aircon that even works without any power. To increase the efficiency you can put a fan there to blow air to the bottles. But I could not find out the BTU...

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/zero-electricity-air-con-made-of-plastic-bottles

Could be fun to try it out as something to do in spare time. thanks for the tip.

Are you looking for a system to generate a majority of all of the power that you use? How much is your PEA bill monthly? Power is only generated eight hours each day so you will also need to store power for your needs at night. I put in a hybrid system last year. PM me if you have questions.

Archived