Insurance Cover for a trip home to the UK

Saltire

I am planning a trip home next year to the UK for a few weeks.

I have a medical policy with a UK provider that covers me in Thailand, and for trips outside of Thailand in a limited fashion, for durations of less than 30 days. However they will not cover me in my home country.

As for the NHS, my understanding is that as a non-resident now, I can seek and receive medical attention but I will have to pay for it.

I want to buy a separate travel insurance to cover me for my UK trip, but I have a feeling all 'travel' policies are unlikely to provide home-country cover.

Any suggestions?

Travel policies will indeed not cover you in your home country.

While there are private policies available for the UK they would usually not be for limited time period. Sorry I have no idea, maybe others can advise.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

If you are a non-resident in UK, where is your official residence?

If it is in Thailand (or any other country than UK), World Nomads can provide you with an on-line travel-insurance policy for UK for the time of your trip there.

Thanks, I will check them out.

13 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Possibly the most expensive insurers known to man.  I'd really look elsewhere.  

Possible, but my experience with World Nomads is very very positive.

Before I found them, I first looked for options in my home-country (Belgium).  Belgian travel-insurance companies are very generous and many cheap policies available there, but unfortunately none of these can be taken when applying on-line from abroad.

Compare that with World Nomads where you can order a travel-insurance policy 'on the fly'.  Just put in your country of residence, the countries you are traveling to, your age and the period you want to be covered (ranging from just 1 day to a full year).  You get an immediate quote, and the day after you paid using your credit-card online you are covered for the period specified.  They are also very transparent in what they cover and exclude. 

But obviously, if you know better/cheaper alternatives I would be interested to get the info.  Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

But obviously, if you know better/cheaper alternatives I would be interested to get the info.  Thanks.

I'm not doubting World Nomad's veracity, I'm merely stating that they are the most expensive I've ever come across.  It's also not for me to google on behalf of the OP, I'm stating that there are cheaper alternatives out there and I don't mean so cheap as to be incomprehensive.  Thanks.

Edited by torturedsole
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Possibly the most expensive insurers known to man.  I'd really look elsewhere.  

Just checked.  When you country of residence is Thailand, World Nomad's standard travel-insurance for a 3 week trip to UK for a 45 year old would cost 90 US $.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the input.

I checked them out and I don't think they are suitable for me.

My trip is May 2020 but I am 65 next February, and they won't insure anyone from 65.

At 64 now it will give me a quote ($98) but I don't know if the 65 limit is for purchasing or for when cover starts.

2 hours ago, Saltire said:

Thanks for the input.

I checked them out and I don't think they are suitable for me.

My trip is May 2020 but I am 65 next February, and they won't insure anyone from 65.

At 64 now it will give me a quote ($98) but I don't know if the 65 limit is for purchasing or for when cover starts.

It says on their website that you can contact them for a quote if you are 65 or over.

I contacted them before with some questions and got response same day.

But looks from your previous post that you found already another alternative.

22 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

It says on their website that you can contact them for a quote if you are 65 or over.

I contacted them before with some questions and got response same day.

But looks from your previous post that you found already another alternative.

Thanks I may drop them an email, I have plenty of time as my trip is not till May 2020, so will keep looking.

5 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Thanks I may drop them an email, I have plenty of time as my trip is not till May 2020, so will keep looking.

Thanks and keep me posted if you come across better/cheaper options for travel-insurance.

Note: I have great travel-insurance from my home-country Belgium.  A 1 year policy with almost unlimited coverage world-wide costs only 250,- Euro and covers trips of 6 months max abroad.  If I stay abroad longer than 6 months I am not covered anymore, and have to stay in Belgium again for 2 weeks, before I am once again covered for 6 months for my next trips. 

Since I am visiting my home-country at least once a year, this works well for me.  Obviously there are some 'uncovered' periods when I stay longer than 6 months in Thailand, and I cover those with the 'on the fly' World Nomads policy.