Guitar to Thailand

frantick

Entering Thailand next year on a 60 day SETV with hopes of converting to non-o and retirement extension.  Have round-trip air on KLM for the 55 days flying from Minneapolis to Seoul and then after a few hour layover to BKK.  Guitar is 13 years old, hard case, and I don't want to go through the hassle of trying to get it carry-on.  Also, I don't want to park it here in the U.S. and buy new in Thailand.

So, based upon that:

1) What's the success percentage that it'll arrive in Thailand? (and be on the luggage belt waiting for me)

2) What's the success percentage that Customs will wave me through?

3) If Customs stops me, what will I owe on a 13 year old guitar that was roughly $2000 new?

Thanks for any experiences or opinions.

I carried guitars thru customs several times and never been stopped. 

I always carry on so can't comment on the luggage handling.  But I will say I have had checked bags dinged and "bruised" so would never trust any instrument of value to the gorillas loading the carousels.........

YMMV 

2 minutes ago, 86Tiger said:

I carried guitars thru customs several times and never been stopped. 

I always carry on so can't comment on the luggage handling.  But I will say I have had checked bags dinged and "bruised" so would never trust any instrument of value to the gorillas loading the carousels.........

YMMV 

I agree. Unless your case is bullet-proof and you really pad the guitar in the case, carry it on if you value it. You only need to watch baggage handlers loading/unloading any plane at any airport to know that they have no respect for what might be in the bags, throwing them, not placing them.

I have brought Guitar/s back and forward from Australia to Thailand/Cambodia 3-4 times and never had any problems. Always just put it in as special luggage along with the surfboards, pushbikes, fragile etc. It doesn't go on the belt with other luggage at check-in and usually needs to be dropped and picked up from a separate special baggage area, they put fragile stickers on, it gets loaded separately etc.

Depending on the airline, even if you bring it on as carry-on, they take it off you at the gate and stow it under because it wont fit in overhead etc. 

You are not importing it so its personal property like golf-clubs or a laptop.

• 2 months later...