The transmission whining makes me nuts!

Nyezhov

It makes me nuts because I dont understand it.

Im an early riser and my palace of love is near the main street route to the port area. Plus I have a traffic light. So at 5am, when the gaily painted heavy trucks are taking off from the light its like weeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaawww as they run through the gears. My bud says its the turbo on the little engines they use but it doesnt sound like a turbo whine, it sounds like a tranny whine, or even a whine coming from the pumpkin. It sounds horrible and its not like its only once in a while, its from all the trucks.

My question is, why do they whine so loudly. Is is a mod for torque or something? Any motorheads know?

11 minutes ago, CGW said:

There are a few trucks same up here in the sticks, pretty sure it is some sort of "device" that is supposed to sound like "turbo" it's not, pathetic kids playing with their toys?

I was wondering if its some kind of "noisemaker" because to me, If I was driving something and heard a noise like that Id pull over and stop driving. Especially coming out of a manual box on upshift.

Also curious, my AWD Celica also have pronouced tranny whining, thought it is cute, but puzzled where it came from? Definitely not wheel bearing had all new on 4 wheels.

Is it axle? Viscous coupling? LSD? Or just worn gears? Btw. this video car had a similar whine to mine( note 02:40 the car come to a stop ) : 

If they are diesel pickup trucks then it is the sound of the turbos spooling up. 

On newer trucks the sound is muted and can only be heard if the engine is being revved high. However, they can be modified to have bigger turbos and sound deadening within the engine compartment removed to increase the noise.

2 minutes ago, DeeMoney said:

If they are diesel pickup trucks then it is the sound of the turbos spooling up. 

On newer trucks the sound is muted and can only be heard if the engine is being revved high. However, they can be modified to have bigger turbos and sound deadening within the engine compartment removed to increase the noise.

Diesel big rigs not pickups. Usually the ornately painted ones.

9 minutes ago, DeeMoney said:

Or you can put on an electronic gizmo to make it sound like you have a huge turbo! along with a couple of hundred rear view mirrors, some spotlights, a Michelin man or two, a very load noisy exhaust mod and some coloured wheel nut covers and you will be the envy of all - least if you are very small minded & think like a "man child" you will think so!

1 minute ago, CGW said:

Or you can put on an electronic gizmo to make it sound like you have a huge turbo! along with a couple of hundred rear view mirrors, some spotlights, a Michelin man or two, a very load noisy exhaust mod and some coloured wheel nut covers and you will be the envy of all - least if you are very small minded & think like a "man child" you will think so!

That's description is it !!!! although I never look askance at anyone's choice of customization, since I started with a baseball card clothespinned to the spokes of my Stingray bike!

Most diesels don't have wastegates.  A lot of the older trucks have more open exhausts making turbo whistle more obvious when working.

Trucks do make a bit more gear whine than light vehicles due to more drive-train components (range change, power dividers between axles etc) and higher loads.  Gear whine is lower frequency that the turbo whistle. 

5 hours ago, Jitar said:

Most diesels don't have wastegates.  A lot of the older trucks have more open exhausts making turbo whistle more obvious when working.

There are no waste gates on large truck turbocharged diesel engines? So that loud, falling "Owwww..." as the driver takes the foot of the accelerator and up-shifts is coming through the modified exhaust systems? I've never heard the older 'long nosed' Isuzu's ever making that noise but just about every second newer cab-over one does.

Archived