Thai health: Cancer remains number one killer in Thailand

rooster59

Thai health: Cancer remains number one killer in Thailand

cancer.JPG

Image: Thai Rath

Health officials explaining the latest measures in combating cancer have said that the disease remains the number one killer of Thais. 

This has been the case since 1998, reported Thai Rath. 

Some cancers are more prevalent in Thais than Westerners - these include liver, brain and throat cancer. 

Research is being conducted at Ramathibodi Hospital in Bangkok to understand the reasons behind this. 

Dr Piyamit Srithara spoke to the press about data collection from what is referred to as a "Bio Bank" in which samples of tissue are stored for analysis. 

This has been an ongoing project at the hospital over the last five years. 

Data from the analysis of blood and membranes kept at high temperatures form the core of the analysis.

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-07

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Creasy said:

Isn’t it something to do with all of the fermented fish and crab they use ?

Certainly some liver cancers here are caused by a liver fluke which is ingested via uncooked/not properly cooked fish, especially up north where it is considered a delicacy of sorts.

What do they expect? Eating rotten fish, smoking home made cigarettes overdosed with tobacco in dry banana leafs as well as on a many time daily basis collapse into dreamland after a bottle of premium Lao Khao. It just might have that negative effect on the human body. (Not a doctor, just using common sense. I might be wrong)

5 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

What do they expect? Eating rotten fish, smoking home made cigarettes overdosed with tobacco in dry banana leafs as well as on a many time daily basis collapse into dreamland after a bottle of premium Lao Khao. It just might have that negative effect on the human body. (Not a doctor, just using common sense. I might be wrong)

Just how do you overdose a cigarette with tobacco?

5 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Just how do you overdose a cigarette with tobacco?

Just for you, pal. You put far to much tobacco in the banana leaf compared to what would be in a normal cigarette, and then you still smoke same many as a person smoking regular cigarettes.

Something else you need clarified? Do not hesitate to ask my friend. ????

15 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Just for you, pal. You put far to much tobacco in the banana leaf compared to what would be in a normal cigarette, and then you still smoke same many as a person smoking regular cigarettes.

Something else you need clarified? Do not hesitate to ask my friend. ????

Ah the more the better, shame that doesn’t apply to your attitude

24 minutes ago, meechai said:

Do you mean cancer kills more than 60 per day?

If not then Cancer is not the #1 killer of Thai's

If not then the #1 is probably the road & all the drunken/poorly trained, unlicensed Thai drivers in Thailand

You nailed it ! but they will NEVER admit to it.

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

Could it be the large consumption of alcohol and smoking ?

Common denominator is the food they eat and the air they breathe & the constant exposure to chemicals that entails, bodies are over loaded and can't cope with the toxic overload! ???? 

Much the same as the West, cancers are increasing, people may be living longer as they are being kept alive by a cocktail of drugs! quality of life?

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

brain cancer? lack of use due to poor education?

Cheap shot :shock1: what choice do they have? They are not "educated" like most of us they are "indoctrinated" they have their designated role to full fill! :wink:

I actually googled 

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Some cancers are more prevalent in Thais than Westerners - these include liver, brain and throat cancer. 

Could be the large consumption of alcohol and smoking ? I ACTUALLY GOOGLED this and these cancers are all caused by what I said and the combination of both alcohol and tobacco has a much higher rate .

1 hour ago, meechai said:

Do you mean cancer kills more than 60 per day?

If not then Cancer is not the #1 killer of Thai's

If not then the #1 is probably the road & all the drunken/poorly trained, unlicensed Thai drivers in Thailand

Was thinking the same thing.

However, one of them is curable.

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Certainly some liver cancers here are caused by a liver fluke which is ingested via uncooked/not properly cooked fish, especially up north where it is considered a delicacy of sorts.

Is liver fluke really a delicacy up north? 5555

Certainly one of the many sources of cancer, especially in the throat, comes from the beautiful fires around the whole country, for the damaging discharges of vehicles and factories and last but not least the smoke of cigarettes!
The challenge is how to reduce these sources!

10 minutes ago, 30la said:

Certainly one of the many sources of cancer, especially in the throat, comes from the beautiful fires around the whole country, for the damaging discharges of vehicles and factories and last but not least the smoke of cigarettes!
The challenge is how to reduce these sources!

Most of us folk in the UK grew up with what you state and live till ripe old age, but, did not eat rotten/uncooked cr_p near every day.....????

I list a few reasons.  It's not just cancer, do the numbers on diabetes. 

Pesticides in Foods. All farm products, yes even organic is toxic, especially if it's from China.

Processed and Junk Foods.  More people do their shopping for food in convenient stores.

Air Pollution.  In cities and rural areas. Farm areas have toxic dust in the air.

Life Style.  Recent years has brought on more laziness and phone play.

I'll stop here, but the list is endless.  Asia seems to have absorbed the worse of western habits and food consumption. 

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

Could it be the large consumption of alcohol and smoking ?

On top of sucking down vehicle pollution as they ride behind beaching cars and trucks. Then there’s record lung cancer in northern Thailand due to pollution.

Archived