Living in a noisy condo?

parafareno

1 hour ago, parafareno said:

will I get used of it? It is constant, but not very strong, but still it is there....

i don't live in a condo but when i travel i am in hotels and condos.

i wear earplugs. i bought a bottle of 50 before I left the USA.

you can buy ear plugs at Boots Pharmacy.

https://www.boots.com/boots-soft-disposable-ear-plugs-10153241

i consider them to be vital. great for all travel, train, bus, plane. 

i also take them with me to restaurants. blasting music everywhere. 

also i have JLB noise cancelling headphones which almost completely block out noise. 

Did you buy?

In any event,  didn't you check the place out before you moved in?

I always rent, but before I move in I thoroughly check for any pitfalls.  Or even stay in the place for a few nights prior to committing.

Being above a noisy street seems pretty obvious...

To add, if you cannot sleep buy a powerful fan.  I paid 1700 b for one it sounds like an airplane jet next to my bed can sleep through anything.

i did not buy it yet....it is the reason I did not buy the condo.....so I am thinking......should I or should I not......

seems that is the only noise, neighbours cant be heard at all......

but buying a condo and not be able to relax cause of annoying traffic noise....that is my concern......

yes I have plugs already, red ones from ebay..from 3M.....but I am asking if you have a noisy condo and if you got used of it.....

I saw one guy on balcony few meters from noisy second road and chayapruek crossin and it seems like he booked that damn place without seeing it is near the street.....or maybe he does not care at all.....

1 minute ago, parafareno said:

i did not buy it yet....it is the reason I did not buy the condo.....so I am thinking......should I or should I not......

but buying a condo and not be able to relax cause of annoying traffic noise....that is my concern......

yes I have plugs already, red ones from ebay..from 3M.....but I am asking if you have a noisy condo and if you got used of it.....

I saw one guy on balcony few meters from noisy second road and chayapruek crossin and it seems like he booked that damn place without seeing it is near the street.....or maybe he does not care at all.....

Some do not care.  I could not get use to it especially if it was already in my head.

I hate noise to an extreme really my issue.

Try keeping some music on or TV.

Walking around all day with headphones on seems kind of annoying, but whatever works for you.

You want to live your later life in earplugs or with a headset on..... ridiculous.

Look at yourself, are you a noisy person for a start, you wouldn't be worried if you yourself liked to play music, make noise, then it would be your neighbours with the problem. Thais can sleep on a clothesline in a gale, westerners are brought up usually in a quieter environment. You will never get used to the sudden bang of a door or toot of a horn or brat-on-a-bike just as you are dropping off to sleep... oops forgot the earplugs!

I am easily disturbed, neighbours dogs have been issues. I have double glazing and keep the windows closed... this season... without the AC on, I still hear it, but it isn't bad. 

When I was a kid moved to a house 200m from a 24/7 railway marshalling/shunting yard, none of us slept for a week, after that we just got used to it and never heard it again.

Just moved to a moo baan 100m from Airport Rail Link and SRT mainline, no trains at night, no problem at all, and my kids love trains!

Maybe you will be the same in your condo?

13 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

also i have JLB noise cancelling headphones which almost completely block out noise. 

Go to YouTube and enter "sleep sounds" into the search box. There are literally hundreds of sounds that last as long as 12 hours which should cover any sleep time overnight. Choose a sound and use this link to download and save to your computer at the website below, then transfer the file to a memory stick or Micro SD Card. Insert either into a small bedside speaker/radio...anything that will accept the devices, and turn on the sounds before you sleep. This will drown out most any ambient noise, and it costs little or nothing. Works great for me!

https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/en/youtube-to-mp3

13 hours ago, parafareno said:

I'll take traffic noise any day over music and tv.

Noise in my condo is very minimal during the off season,  however in high season they have illegal short term rentals with Russians who have no respect for the long term residents.  Always yelling and slamming doors every 5 minutes all day everyday. Office management does not do much about it. 

13 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Did you buy?

In any event,  didn't you check the place out before you moved in?

I always rent, but before I move in I thoroughly check for any pitfalls.  Or even stay in the place for a few nights prior to committing.

Being above a noisy street seems pretty obvious...

To add, if you cannot sleep buy a powerful fan.  I paid 1700 b for one it sounds like an airplane jet next to my bed can sleep through anything.

Not always easy.  When I got my condo in CM, it seemed like a nice quiet soi.  There was no way to stay there ahead of time.  Most of the trouble is between 2 and 4 AM.  At the other end of the soi, where I would never think to look, are several large Thai teenage populated bars.  So, during those hours there is constant arguing, yelling, girls screening and fighting.  Recently, everyone who is young and owns a Harley or similar bike rides back and forth over and over again.  Seemingly, trying to make as much noise as possible.  Sometimes now there are like 15 at a time.

I did have a clue that I ignored.  There were 4 very similar condos for rent in my building.  The 3 that I did not take were about ฿2500 more.  

We bought a condo in Jomtien this year and have a similar problem. It is on the 7th floor but Jomtien second road is directly under us.

We have three options now. New window front and balcony door (quite expensive because it is a 4 meter front - even just for our bedroom), noise reducing curtains or shutters for the night. 

I did not sleep at this place yet just my wife arrived last week and she said the noise is quite loud. So we don't know yet which option we will take.

14 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

were the JBL ones too expensive?

14 hours ago, parafareno said:

Don't buy anything in Pattaya. I did in an area that was completely quiet for many years. After I bought the condo open air bars moved next to me. Noise every day/night despite expensive special windows and earplugs. I called the City Hall very many times but nobody ever cared in several years. And if they perhaps cared there was no result. Closing time should be 2 in the morning. But neither the bars nor anyone else of the City Hall or police cares - it looks like this to me if there are still concerts or live bands at 3 in the morning. I lost several million Baht for a condo I can't use or sell. One of my biggest mistakes in my life. Now at 5 in the afternoon the noise starts already - boom, boom from big sub woofers - like every day. The bars are above the law. And I am just a stupid idiot that didn't understand this. And I am not talking about a little bit of noise. I am talking about a noise where you can't even have a conversation in your rooms anymore. 

In my experience you do start to get used to it, but if it's bothering you that much you may want to look at making a change. Ear plugs and noise canceling headphones can help, but sometimes you're at home relaxing and want to be able to hear too!

1 hour ago, Pengo2001 said:

We bought a condo in Jomtien this year and have a similar problem. It is on the 7th floor but Jomtien second road is directly under us.

We have three options now. New window front and balcony door (quite expensive because it is a 4 meter front - even just for our bedroom), noise reducing curtains or shutters for the night. 

I did not sleep at this place yet just my wife arrived last week and she said the noise is quite loud. So we don't know yet which option we will take.

how you did not check it out sooner?

Quality of life: Should you have to get used to the noise?????

The idea of wearing earplugs or noise cancelling headphones is just downright ridiculous !! (on a plane, ok, at home to cancel out the noise, just the thought of it is daft). 

If the noise is from the street (music, motorcycles etc) then consider whether or not improved and sealed glazing would made a difference -

If you are buying and really like the area / price etc, you could improve the noise insulation with better windows etc. If you are renting, forget it, just find somewhere else quieter. 

One poster pointed out that the bars etc are above the law - a serious consideration if you are purchasing property and there is land or shophouses nearby etc which could easily be turned into loud bars (going until 5am etc). 

Best option: Buy somewhere else, rent out, use that rent income to rent your place and live with a degree of freedom. 

22 hours ago, parafareno said:

Will I get used to it? I mean it is on high floor but below is noisy street....which i think will drive me crazy....constant traffic noise....

will I get used of it? It is constant, but not very strong, but still it is there....

If you are sensible to the noise, and if the condo is the same you was talking about

don't buy here 

outside

it's not only the traffic noise

but also the railway, and the noisy foreigners at the swimming pool

inside

people (Thai and foreigners) are used to calling each others from

a room to another, or they talk in the hallways and it sounds a lot.

Some of them are old and deaf, so the sound of TV or music is loud

and of course with their door open because it's cooler, so everyone

can know if they like football or action movies.

The cleaning lady who does selective sorting with the trash is noisy also

Then you have the renovation of the appartments, usually 4 or 5 every year

and the noise of the works can be during weeks and weeks, from 10 am to 5 pm

I have probably forgotten 2 or 3 others minor issues

good luck

13 hours ago, PattayaKevin said:

Noise in my condo is very minimal during the off season,  however in high season they have illegal short term rentals with Russians who have no respect for the long term residents.  Always yelling and slamming doors every 5 minutes all day everyday. Office management does not do much about it. 

It's a miserable way to live, constantly being disturbed and you likely feel threatened by drunken yobs yelling and banging around at all hours. Office management might well be involved in the short term renting process. 

Archived