Cleaning up my Samsung phone

carlyai

My Samsung smartphone is slow and irratic behaviour. When I power it on the wheel cogs appear and an optimises apps routine starts.

I have transfered as many apps to my SD card as I can, but still have 85% storage used. 

Without deleting my apps I would like back up my phone, then do a factory reset to hopefully clear out all the junk. I'm wondering if I do a factory reset will I be able to get my backed up data back?

Anyone done a clean reboot of their phone? Thanks

55 minutes ago, topt said:

Can you not use whatever the Samsung program (Kies?) is now and back up to your pc to make sure you don't lose it?

Or have a read here - https://joyofandroid.com/how-to-backup-and-restore-android-phone/

Using Google (if you do - I dont) seems to be the easiest.

Ok thanks. I got an old Samsung yesterday and tried backup to a location,  then factory reset, then restore and all worked ok. I then tried reset without backup, then restore, but still ended up with all the same apps as before the reset. 

59 minutes ago, carlyai said:

but still ended up with all the same apps as before the reset. 

if they originally came with the phone than that is what I would expect. 

I thought it was only the data you were concerned about?

23 hours ago, topt said:

No it's not just the data, I would like to clean out the memory and any junk files that I'm not aware of. Like a de-fragment on a computer hard drive.

I have just scene a post on another thread to clean out the catche....I want to gemerally improve the performance of my phone and get rid of apps that I can't delete. Thanks

I doubt that the apps as such/alone are your problem.

It's data that accumulates from certain apps.

Messengers (Whatsapp, LINE etc.) are specially prone.

Pictures and videos sent around over months pile up.

For the messengers you would either have to delete stuff piece by piece or just dump a whole chat.

Delete browser caches.

Of course you also have to check your video/photo gallery and see whether it's all worth to keep on the phone.

Use the "DEVICE MAINTENANCE" function in Settings.

There you have "STORAGE" with different categories.

Browse through the items and identify the memory eaters.

Clean up before doing more complicated steps.

Screenshot_20191211-151350_Device maintenance.jpg

Screenshot_20191211-151618_Device maintenance.jpg

14 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Typical memory cruncher LINE:

(might be Whatsapp or Facebook or ....)

("Files" is a useful APP from Google that can also assist in cleanup)

Screenshot_20191211-152000_Device maintenance.jpg

Hi and thanks. Yes I've already done all the clean up housekeeping. So yesterday I put the phone into safe mode (power, volume up, close buttons) then navigated to swipe cache. After that I did the hard reset. As I use Google, most of my lost apps etc were easily retrieved as passwords were saved in Google.

My phone now seems to be working as new and no more wheel cogs preparing apps. All good now.

• 2 weeks later...

Too bad that I saw this thread too late. I fixed my Samsung Tab and Phone several times already without any factory reset. Often it is the so called Cache Partition and sometimes an SD card with problematic directory entries and nothing else. Just recently my Tablet hardly started anymore and crashed all the time. In this case it was the inserted SD card. Fixed it and the Tablet is like new again. 

On 12/9/2019 at 6:24 AM, carlyai said:

I have transfered as many apps to my SD card

Be aware that the SD card might be slower than the memory in the phone.

So with doing this maybe you make your phone slower.

I know that this might be the case in theory. I don't know if and how much this is relevant in real life.

As for the apps who persistent wish to stay on phone memory , you can find for some the "light" version …, example Skype light and Line light , can find them on the usual store.

They are considerable les mb's to install

On 12/10/2019 at 1:26 PM, topt said:

you can force them to stop I saw , but if you wish to do Samsung message on screen say  it could harm some other program ….. so by scaring you they keep it installed  !

Archived