UK visitor visa thai wife

Hi All,

Decided to try for a visitor visa for the UK, my wife has never been before and the process sounds a little confusing, we have been together 10 years and married for 6 we have a 5 year old boy who has British and Thai passports, my wife has house book, land title papers, my sister and her partner will be the sponsors for her and we will be staying with them for the duration of the 4 week trip, I considered using a agent but it seemed expensive also we would still have to go to Bangkok for biometrics, anyone done this recently ? Do I get all the documentation together first including translation for some doc's then vfs website to complete the online form and pay the fee, get appointment in Bangkok and hand in all the documents, I'm just worried I make a mistake and it's refused, we were thinking of going middle of Feb 2020, any help would be grateful .Thanks' in advance.

I suggest get all the documents together, include photos of your wedding, marriage certificate, copy of her bank book showing regular ample funds, if she works then get a letter from company. Also keep a copy of what you submit/say to VFS (so if your first attempt fails then you have a copy of what you said for the next application). Letter from sister saying you will stay at her house, show proof of relationship. Anything that can support your application but do not be surprised if you are refused a visia. It may take 1, 2, 3 times to get. Good Luck

@ancharee, you say you've been together for ten and married for five years, do you all together here in Thailand and can you provide evidence to prove that, if so that will go a long way to satisfythe decision maker that your wife will return to Thailand at the conclusion of her trip.

You say your sister and her partner will be sponsors, is that just accomodation or financial support as well?

You can either upload the supporting evidence yourself or can pay VFS to do so, just keep in mund that VFS are no more than a glorified postal service, they are not qualified to say that the supporting evidence is compliant or even sufficient.

A properly prepared application satisfying the ECO that the proposed visit is genuine and affordable and that, on the balance of probablilities, she will return at the conclusion of her proposed visit should succeed, it certainly shouldn't take two or three attempts, especially if you both live here in Thailand.

7 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

@ancharee, you say you've been together for ten and married for five years, do you all together here in Thailand and can you provide evidence to prove that, if so that will go a long way to satisfythe decision maker that your wife will return to Thailand at the conclusion of her trip.

You say your sister and her partner will be sponsors, is that just accomodation or financial support as well?

You can either upload the supporting evidence yourself or can pay VFS to do so, just keep in mund that VFS are no more than a glorified postal service, they are not qualified to say that the supporting evidence is compliant or even sufficient.

A properly prepared application satisfying the ECO that the proposed visit is genuine and affordable and that, on the balance of probablilities, she will return at the conclusion of her proposed visit should succeed, it certainly shouldn't take two or three attempts, especially if you both live here in Thailand.

Thanks' for that, yes we all live together in Thailand I was on a extension on stay based on retirement for 4 years and the last 4 on marriage, my sister and partner will provide accommodation and financial support also, should I deposit some weekly payments into her bank account I heard if you suddenly deposit a large sum it can go against you 

16 minutes ago, ancharee said:

Thanks' for that, yes we all live together in Thailand I was on a extension on stay based on retirement for 4 years and the last 4 on marriage, my sister and partner will provide accommodation and financial support also, should I deposit some weekly payments into her bank account I heard if you suddenly deposit a large sum it can go against you 

There's no need to deposit weekly payments into your wifes account, you're living here as a couple and that will go a long way to satisfying the decision maker that she will return with you.

In your covering letter you might wish to clarify why your sister is providing financial support.

By the way before collating photos of your wedding, as advised in an earlier post, you might like to read the UKVI's advice on supporting evidence, especially the section that says not to send photographs.

33 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

There's no need to deposit weekly payments into your wifes account, you're living here as a couple and that will go a long way to satisfying the decision maker that she will return with you.

In your covering letter you might wish to clarify why your sister is providing financial support.

By the way before collating photos of your wedding, as advised in an earlier post, you might like to read the UKVI's advice on supporting evidence, especially the section that says not to send photographs.

Thanks' again. I found a saved pdf on my pc from you regarding a visitor visa but when I click on required documentation nothing happens could you send the link, cheers

We live in UK now but we were very much like you there In Thailand. My Thai wife had first a single UK visitor visa, Then a two year visitor visa. And lastly (still current) a 5 year visitor visa.

As I say we now live in the Uk and he has a full resident visa. Of course the Visitor visa allowed her 6 months stay in the uk in any one year

The visitor visa is not too difficult to get and as some one above said reply all the questions honestly. You do need to show you have the means to travel for the periods you plan. Also where you stay, our case we had a Brother to stay with. You will need the marriage papers translated and maybe your wifes Birth certificate. You may need a letter from anyone you are staying with in uk, your accommodation etc.   The visa system in Bangkok is good and appointment etc all booked on line and if your papers are all in order, takes about 15 min.  All the best

1 hour ago, alzack said:

We live in UK now but we were very much like you there In Thailand. My Thai wife had first a single UK visitor visa, Then a two year visitor visa. And lastly (still current) a 5 year visitor visa.

As I say we now live in the Uk and he has a full resident visa. Of course the Visitor visa allowed her 6 months stay in the uk in any one year

The visitor visa is not too difficult to get and as some one above said reply all the questions honestly. You do need to show you have the means to travel for the periods you plan. Also where you stay, our case we had a Brother to stay with. You will need the marriage papers translated and maybe your wifes Birth certificate. You may need a letter from anyone you are staying with in uk, your accommodation etc.   The visa system in Bangkok is good and appointment etc all booked on line and if your papers are all in order, takes about 15 min.  All the best

Thanks' for your help.

On 12/12/2019 at 10:34 AM, ancharee said:

The first thing you need to do is go to the website and register an account.

https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/home/welcome

I would suggest that you then create a dummy application and become familiar with the questions and how to answer, the application can then be deleted prior to a real attempt.  There is a link on the website regarding supporting documents. 

You will not have a problem if the application is approached in a logical manner, you should be the sponsor and the sponsor letter will be the most important document you submit.

Do not get hung up on your wife's finances, I have done this 8 times over the last 10 years and have never submitted any financial information relating to my wife.

If you want any further info feel free to PM.

Archived