Thailand road carnage: "Big Bike" rider among 26 dead on Tuesday

webfact

Thailand road carnage: "Big Bike" rider among 26 dead on Tuesday

9pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News continued their campaign to raise awareness about the appalling fatalities on the Thai roads. 

They said that 26 died on Tuesday but cautioned that this figure was not official. It refers just to those that die at the scene of accidents not those that succumb later in hospital. Also some districts are late in reporting their figures.  

Thaivisa notes that Thai officialdom have accepted that well in excess of 20,000 people die on the roads in the kingdom each year. Some put the figure at around 24,000 - 26,000 per annum. 

9pm3.jpg

Picture: Daily News

This ranks Thailand as one of the most dangerous places in the world to drive.

At the scene deaths for this month already total 422.

The year figure is 13,885. 

Daily News highlighted the need for those riding "big bikes" (powerful motorcycles) to take care on the roads. 

They showed a picture after a motorcyclist on a Honda CBR 650 was killed after going into the side of an Isuzu pick-up then into a wall. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-12

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, webfact said:

This ranks Thailand as one of the most dangerous places in the world to drive.

No it doesn't - it ranks Thailand as one of the most dangerous places to 'Ride a Motorbike'.

74% of deaths are on Motorcycles. 

12% of deaths are in 4 wheels vehicles / cars - Thats 2880 to 3000 per year. 

Thai Population is 69.04 Million people -

The death rate in cars in Thailand equates to 4.17 to 4.34 deaths per 100,000 people.

In the UK the Total Death rate is 3.1 deaths per 100,000 people.

Thailand has a major issue with Motorcyclists dying on the roads, obviously because most of the road users are motorcyclists and then a combination of other factors involved to place those high numbers of motorcyclists in an environment of higher risk than it should be (i.e. no helmet, drink, poor rider education, lack of awareness of safety, poor road design, poor road quality etc etc).

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/caraccidents.asp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

All very well Richard but you forget the greatest risk to all those motorcyclists, lunatics in cars, minibuses and trucks. these cause most of the accidents but get left out of the statistics as they're protected inside their steel cage, unlike the, mostly poor motocycle riders...

25 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

All very well Richard but you forget the greatest risk to all those motorcyclists, lunatics in cars, minibuses and trucks. these cause most of the accidents but get left out of the statistics as they're protected inside their steel cage, unlike the, mostly poor motocycle riders...

I disagree. The biggest risk to the motorcyclists are the motorcyclists themselves, for exactly the reasons that richard_smith237 stated above.

37 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

I find that when riding a motorcycle in Thailand (primarily Bangkok) it is the other motorcyclists who present the greatest risk to me. 

They ride dangerously close to me, they sit in my blind spot, they overlap wheels (i.e. if I am to swerve round a pot hole I can hit them), the pull in-front of my 'braking zone', they pull out in front of me. 

While some vehicles in their 'steel cage' are an absolute nuisance (particularly delivery drivers and in many cases Taxi drivers) most cars drive with exceptional consideration towards motorcyclists.

The consideration the majority of cars give to motorcyclists here is one of the things which surprises me, almost every car driver is aware that there is always likely to be a motorcyclist around. 

I drive a car here and ride a motorcycle - the motorcyclists are by far the biggest danger to themselves and others.

51 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No it doesn't - it ranks Thailand as one of the most dangerous places to 'Ride a Motorbike'.

The death rate in cars in Thailand equates to 4.17 to 4.34 deaths per 100,000 people.

Thailand has a major issue with Motorcyclists dying on the roads, obviously because most of the road users are motorcyclists and then a combination of other factors involved to place those high numbers of motorcyclists in an environment of higher risk than it should be (i.e. no helmet, drink, poor rider education, lack of awareness of safety, poor road design, poor road quality etc etc).

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/caraccidents.asp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

It’s poor driving by everyone that causes the deaths, and no policing-low fines, and bs excuses accepted-thirty percent don’t have licenses, and more than that don’t pay their fines-layers of issues 

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I find that when riding a motorcycle in Thailand (primarily Bangkok) it is the other motorcyclists who present the greatest risk to me. 

They ride dangerously close to me, they sit in my blind spot, they overlap wheels (i.e. if I am to swerve round a pot hole I can hit them), the pull in-front of my 'braking zone', they pull out in front of me. 

While some vehicles in their 'steel cage' are an absolute nuisance (particularly delivery drivers and in many cases Taxi drivers) most cars drive with exceptional consideration towards motorcyclists.

The consideration the majority of cars give to motorcyclists here is one of the things which surprises me, almost every car driver is aware that there is always likely to be a motorcyclist around. 

I drive a car here and ride a motorcycle - the motorcyclists are by far the biggest danger to themselves and others.

I almost crashed into plenty motorbikes because they cross lanes, ride out from in between cars and do stuff you wouldn't imagine. 

53 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

I am pretty sure often both are part responsible.

It seems most people driving cars never rode a motorcycle.

And it seems most motorcycle riders never drove a car.

Because if they would know both then then would know many of the critical aspects. I.e. many motorcycle riders think they can squeeze into that space when a car drives around a corner. But the car driver often does not see the bikes and cars fill up that "empty" space when they drive around the corner. And many similar situations. Many situations look very different from the driver or rider perspective. And often both blame the other because they both saw the situation clearly - but only from their point of view.

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:
12 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

I almost crashed into plenty motorbikes because they cross lanes, ride out from in between cars and do stuff you wouldn't imagine.     

You clearly have to work on your imagination...

Being exposed to the mindless recklessness of 'some' of the motorcyclists, I have witnessed some of the daftest maneuvers. 

I can imagine worse, yet on a daily basis I'm still surprised as a motorcyclist tries and gets away with the seemingly impossible, blissfully unaware of how close he (usually a he) came to serious injury or worse - and that's before I exit the 1km of my Soi to the main road !

Overtaking on the blind humpback bridge over the Khlong is a favorite. 

There is a driving technique called defensive driving. You ALWAYS expect the unexpected, keep your distance, slow down, use your mirrors incessantly, look at least 100m down the road on open roads, and a million other techniques. 12 years driving a black cab in London and nul points. Stay out of danger, back down and allow for insanity coming the other way.

The statistic only counts the deaths, but also the numbers of seriously injured people must be horrible. The people they lose legs, arms or other parts, they only can move in wheel chairs or are paralyzed for the rest of their life, This costs the country a lot and is a burden for the familys.

9 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Normal day in Thailand...if you have a death wish or love playing Russian roulette with one bullet chambered get on a thai road. 

i would argue some roads are more dangerous than others, and don't equate to playing russian roulette

41 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Totally agree ! Quite  brainless in many instances. Especially the younger ones who seem to think as if in a  video game and not a  dangerous reality.  Even after observing their peers who die or are well damaged does not seem to translate into any greater consideration. Even older riders evolve from dangerous to careless and generally oblivious as do too many who drive 4 wheeled  vehicles.

29 26 deaths? A quiet day.

Honda CBR 650, how often does it appear in the news?

Is it the best ccm*hp/Baht ratio?

One accident some one/two weeks went unnoticed in the English papers.

A 17 year old got such a racer as a present for his good school results.
Didn't survive more than a few days.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Have you compared the number of people who actually drive cars in Thailand to England. If the vast majority drive bikes here, the population stat will not work accurately, hence why we judge all road deaths. 

2 hours ago, Oztruckie said:

If you want to compare Thailand's road toll with any western countries toll,obviously you aren't very smart or just another Thai basher.

In the kingdom of the blind the one-eyed are kings 

It is a proverb; so don't take it at first ...

So we will compare Thailand with which other countries?
Those who are at war and still have fewer deaths than on the roads in Thailand?
or better with Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia .... and curiously we will find that these countries have comparable mortality rates with Western countries.
Thailand is truly a special case;
and the recent proposal to increase speed on some open roads is not going to go in the right direction.:1zgarz5:

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Global status report on road safety 2018 - WHO

Full report (Eng)

Overall Thailand death rate in WHO report = 32.7 per 100,000 population, of which 12% (3.92) were car drivers/passengers.

Overall UK death rate in WHO report = 3.1 per 100,000 population, of which 47% (1.46) were car drivers/passengers.

That gives over two and a half times car death rates for Thailand compared to UK.

However car ownership and car distance traveled per 100,000 in UK is much greater than in Thailand, which would make the Thai rate greater.

Last time I worked it out it came to about 4 to 5 times greater.

Don't forget your seat belt.

1 minute ago, Assurancetourix said:

In the kingdom of the blind the one-eyed are kings 

It is a proverb; so don't take it at first ...

So we will compare Thailand with which other countries?
Those who are at war and still have fewer deaths than on the roads in Thailand?
or better with Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia .... and curiously we will find that these countries have comparable mortality rates with Western countries.
Thailand is truly a special case;
and the recent proposal to increase speed on some open roads is not going to go in the right direction.:1zgarz5:

I agree but judging by your emoji it seems that you want them accompanied wherever they drive by a man with a red flag????

Whilst this is,no doubt,the safest option have you considered the political ramifications?????‍✈️????‍✈️

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

There is a driving technique called defensive driving. You ALWAYS expect the unexpected, keep your distance, slow down, use your mirrors incessantly, look at least 100m down the road on open roads, and a million other techniques. 12 years driving a black cab in London and nul points. Stay out of danger, back down and allow for insanity coming the other way.

I agree this technique defensive work well London but on Thailand roads this technique driving is limited because everyone know the unexpected have no limit, dog, cow, elephant, cable on the road, garbage, loss of material from the truck, and I not speaking about the kamikaze drivers go wrong direction road etc.

Archived