Suvarnabhumi Airport Customs And Duties For Arriving Passengers

howard251

Hi all, I am looking for some feedback and advice on the topic of Suvarnabhumi Airport Customs and Duties for arriving passengers.

I have searched this forum and have found several cases in which arriving passengers have been caught with more then the allowed amount of cigarettes or liquor which contained more then 40% alcohol. I know the penalties are high as they consider it smuggling.

Let me share that I have visited Thailand many times over the past 12 years and not once have I been stopped walking out the, “Nothing To Declare”, exit of the airports in Bangkok.

I am now retired and living in my Chiang Mai house for about two years.

I am currently in Connecticut, USA, visiting with my mom and will be returning in a few weeks. I am a little paranoid about returning this time because I know they have scanners and a lot of customs employees at the, “Nothing To Declare”, exit of Suvarnabhumi. I was thinking my luck is going to run out someday and this might be the time my luggage is scanned.

This return trip both my suitcases are filled with personal effects items and the value is at least $1,200 US Dollars, which is more then the 10,000 baht of personal effect items I am allowed to bring into the country duty free. I have also bought a lot of new items while I was here visiting, but have made sure to take everything out of the original packaging and make it appear as used. I have no sales receipts with me and have read the Customs people will value the worth of the item themselves.

Am I supposed to make a list and itemize everything and pass through the “Something To Declare”, line? Does anyone know what the taxes will be?

I do not smoke or drink and I am not bringing in anything like that, mostly multi-voltage electronics, old notebook and digital camera, gifts for my relatives, and Items I have not had the chance to move to my Chiang Mai home.

I could have been a transit passenger and cleared customs in Chiang Mai, but I already know from experience they are the worst for checking. I think this is due to the fact that there are usually less then 8 International passengers arriving on domestic flights and plenty of customs officers so bored with nothing better to do then lift everyone’s luggage and say, “What is in here, feels heavy, let me check”.

That is why I am clearing customs in Suvarnabhumi, a lot more arrivals and not as many customs people to check everyone.

Can someone please share their customs and duties experience that became a problem, other then cigarettes or liquor?

What is your advice to me, should I Declare everything or nothing? What are the fines if caught walking out the,” Nothing To Declare”? I would think they are mostly looking for contraband?

P.S. My computer notebook & digital camera have been in and out of Thailand many times before. I am afraid if I list the dutiable items and walk out the, ‘Something To Declare” line, it could be inviting corruption and they will tax me on everything that is over 10,000 baht value, like my used computer notebook and digital camera.

Edited by howard251

I came through the airport on Thursday, and for the first time ever was stopped after the "nothing to declare lane". I was asked where had I come from and what was my purpose of being in Thailand. I replied that I had come from Taiwan and that I lived and worked here in Thailand. I was then asked my profession and after answering was told Ok, thanks very much and was allowed through.

A month ago I witnessed a customs officer approach an arriving passenger and ask to check his baggage. I was also an arriving passenger walking nearby.

This was in the public area past the barriers in the main terminal area where your friends etc meet you. I’ve read about this on TV before but the first time I’ve actually seen it happen.

The customs guy was dressed in uniform. He approached the arriving passenger and showed his badge. He pointed to the baggage and asked to inspect it and directed the man to a door that I can only assume led back into the customs area.

While "stories" about customs interference with arriving passengers make good reading, rarely are we told in the "story" the country of origin of the arriving flight, the passport of the passenger or the mode of dress.

Much has been written about profiling for security reasons, but believe me, it is a big determining factor in customs and who they check.

Like policemen who have their quotas of tickets per shift, customs agents are monitored, I am sure, as is the frequency they check luggage and their success rate.

It seems to me, they are not much interested in working extra hard in sorting through your luggage unless something triggers their interest.

Especially in Thailand, appearance is everything, that includes your baggage.

Much has been written about profiling for security reasons, but believe me, it is a big determining factor in customs and who they check.

The man I witnessed being approached had arrived on a flight that carried passengers from Paris and Dublin via Bahrain.

To give an idea, this is a quick profile of the man I witnessed being inspected.

The man was a middle aged European who had what I consider a larger than normal amount of soft luggage. He had been affectionately met by a youngish Thai man dressed in lycra clothing similar to clothing seen worn by Thai men in entertainment areas.

I came back from Singapore on Monday, dressed smartly, and was stopped by customs. I was only carrying hand luggage and was asked why I had no other luggage. I explained I had been to Sing to visit my bank. My bag was checked and I was allowed to go.

I have no problem with that. In fact i'm pleased that they are actually seeming to do their job. Never been stopped here before though.

Dress and behave clean and polite. If they accost you be very polite and dumb. if they ask you where you are going tell them where you are coming from. Pretend like you are French and dont speak good English but still be polite. They will try to avoid a confrontation that will arise because you cannot communicate and allow you to pass.

• 2 weeks later...

Having talked to OP about what actually happened when he arrived in BKK, I am happy to report that all went well and he was passed through without any difficulty.

The advice given in this thread appears to be sound and those who want trouble free admission to Thailand, take heed.

There was some idiot on my flight two weeks ago. A younger guy from Canada if I remember correctly. He stated out loud for many to hear prior to landing: "I hope they don't find my roofies." Joking or not, someone could have made his visit particularly painful had they reported him.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would give an update to my BKK airport customs experience. I walked through customs without any problems. I didn't even see any customs officers as I passed into the general arrival area and meeting hall. The only problem I had is with JFK New York customs. They informed me they had to remove my cans of Endust from my checked baggage as they didn't feel comfortable letting it fly on the plane. All this time I was worried about BKK but it turned out be New York that was my only problem, go figure.

This return trip both my suitcases are filled with personal effects items and the value is at least $1,200 US Dollars, which is more then the 10,000 baht of personal effect items I am allowed to bring into the country duty free. I have also bought a lot of new items while I was here visiting, but have made sure to take everything out of the original packaging and make it appear as used. I have no sales receipts with me and have read the Customs people will value the worth of the item themselves.

As long as they are "personal items" and presents, not 12 cameras and 6 notebooks etc

I seriously doubt you will have any problem even if you bag does have to go through the customs x-ray machine.

My own PC has a value of $2000 and my camera is similar.

I have never even been questioned in Thailand.