Opinion: Pattaya's bar and nightlife image is dead - operators must change or face extinction

rooster59

On 12/20/2019 at 10:19 AM, Leaver said:

Your sympathy in misplaced. 

Minimum wage here is 300 baht a day. 

Without any lady drinks or bar fines, they are still well paid. 

Good now I won,t feel guilty about not paying out 4 sobs for an inch of orange juice in a glass,sorry a lady drink.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/14/2019 at 7:52 PM, RedPill said:

I don't understand ... 5 years of 'Family Resort' messaging & efforts and now bar's and nightlife not up?

Why? Isn't this inline with the message/plan? This should be positive to all and a mission accomplished

The only thing still missing is the demolishing of the right side of Walking Street, as there were talks about just 3 years back.

And 23 years back.

On 12/22/2019 at 10:16 AM, Leaver said:

Why did you feel guilty in the first place?  ????

Because I don,t like being hassled,and if they,'re too persistent tell them where to go,don,t like being rude to serving staff but do,nt like aggressive sales pitches.

On 12/16/2019 at 4:22 PM, Leaver said:

A lot of the girls are working off phone apps now.

Only the older girls who thought the easy money would never end are still in the bars, and they still think the easy money is on its way for this high season.

Getting a girl off an app means the days of lady drinks and bar fines are just about over. 

The customer can still take the girl from the app to a bar for a drink, but no lady drink prices, and no bar fine money for the bar. 

With ever increasing lady drink and bar fine prices, the days of the old beer bar complexes are coming to an end.

It needn't be if they adapted to make bar beers entertaining.

The old days with a few girls shouting hansum man and playing connect 4 deserve to die.

However, Thais have no idea how to make it more attractive or they would have done so already. They need to ask farangs, but will they ever stoop so low?

To get customers they need to add value, but they don't know what that means.

Some complexes had a live band, which is a good idea, but not if the band is dire and too loud.

One successful place in Pattaya was the Malibu show- always full, but when they went full ladyboy it was doomed and no longer exists. The complex next to Soi 10 had/ has a small stage with energetic dancers, but it was/ is positioned badly. Good idea but faulty implementation.

Best gogo in Pattaya was Classroom up at the north end, not Classroom near Boystown.

Gogo with best lookers was Pretty Girl or Pretty Lady off Walking Street, always full. Closed now.

On 12/22/2019 at 5:35 AM, kingdong said:

Good now I won,t feel guilty about not paying out 4 sobs for an inch of orange juice in a glass,sorry a lady drink.

Only person to blame for buying lady drinks are the customers. I never had a problem saying no, and then they left me alone.

If I liked a girl she would sit with me and I'd just give her what she'd have got if I'd paid for lady drinks. They only get part of what a lady drink costs.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The old days with a few girls shouting hansum man and playing connect 4 deserve to die.

However, Thais have no idea how to make it more attractive or they would have done so already. They need to ask farangs, but will they ever stoop so low?

Some complexes had a live band, which is a good idea, but not if the band is dire and too loud.

One successful place in Pattaya was the Malibu show- always full, but when they went full ladyboy it was doomed and no longer exists. The complex next to Soi 10 had/ has a small stage with energetic dancers, but it was/ is positioned badly. Good idea but faulty implementation.

Best gogo in Pattaya was Classroom up at the north end, not Classroom near Boystown.

Gogo with best lookers was Pretty Girl or Pretty Lady off Walking Street, always full. Closed now.

Super Girl on Soi Diamond?

45 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

Talking about Soi Diamond the windmill a gogo had open the Diamond agogo

just on the other side of the soi some month ago, but it was not really a big success imo.

They now just change the name for Annabel's and the Diamond a gogo

should re open soon at a new location (The avenue?)

i have also noticed some gogos near the now closed carrousel beer bar

at the jonction between Wlking street and soi diamond have closed also recently.

These closures at the beginning of the supposed ''high season'' are not really a good sign.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Only person to blame for buying lady drinks are the customers. I never had a problem saying no, and then they left me alone.

If I liked a girl she would sit with me and I'd just give her what she'd have got if I'd paid for lady drinks. They only get part of what a lady drink costs.

As the number of punters decrease,the hassle increases,thanks for the advice and enlightenment however,i,'ll have to work on my image it would appear.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What a ritual all to look at a pair of bristols.

16 hours ago, Mac98 said:

You are half correct. Now you have jogged my memory banks it was Super Baby. On the right hand side with Walking Street behind one. Super Girl is opposite where it used to be. According to the map I just looked at courtesy of google it is now called Yes. Actually it was closed for years. If I remember correctly there was a circular bar beer that rotated between them.

Absolutely DDG girls and a great favourite of Asian mongers so the take away prices were too high for me, but worth an hour or three of looking at. I once bought a girl a drink to sit with me and she spent the next 3/4 hour in the shower, cavorting in the proverbial birthday suit. I got so PO that I left and pointed out to the staff that took my money I wasn't giving a tip. She didn't like that, no sir.

12 hours ago, kingdong said:

As the number of punters decrease,the hassle increases,thanks for the advice and enlightenment however,i,'ll have to work on my image it would appear.

If you want to only give her the money to sit with you, you need to make that clear at the start. I think they have a quota of lady drinks to fill, so might not work every time.

I often got one to sit with me just to stop the others hassling me.

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thais have no idea how to make it more attractive or they would have done so already.

Correct.  They thought sex was the only thing tourists came here for, and that it would sell forever, and can only be bought in Pattaya / Thailand.  They never took their competition seriously.  They are now, though. 

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You can only do so much with a tin roof, and an outdoor brick bar.  Customers are still in the traffic noise and fumes, and the heat and dust, and mosquitoes, and music that does not cater for the clientele.

Vietnam, for example, is offering a more pleasant, air conditioned environment, with the the same beer products being served at around 25 to 30 baht. 

22 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

So how does "Sobs" translate to £? Chinese whispers. It's "Sovs".

Traslate?shows how much you know about cockney rhyming slang,here's one for you einstein,how do,'es  old scutter translate into an older woman of questionable appearance and morality?

On 12/25/2019 at 6:51 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Further to this subject,I don,t like the lady drink culture,have been told by old timer mates once you bar time a girl the price of her drinks revert to what a customer pays,never happened to me,also noticed in  the last couple of years when attempted to barfine,the Mammasans has informed me I would have to buy another two drinks to which I replied yet mung paid tab and left.two million dong about £65 in vietnam,no barfine  or hassle and they stay with you till next afternoon.

1 minute ago, kingdong said:

Further to this subject,I don,t like the lady drink culture,have been told by old timer mates once you bar time a girl the price of her drinks revert to what a customer pays,never happened to me,also noticed in  the last couple of years when attempted to barfine,the Mammasans has informed me I would have to buy another two drinks to which I replied yet mung paid tab and left.two million dong about £65 in vietnam,no barfine  or hassle and they stay with you till next afternoon.

The bar girl ALWAYS gets lady drink price in HER bar. If you don't want to pay lady drink price have to take her to another bar.

attempted to barfine,the Mammasans has informed me I would have to buy another two drinks

Never happened to me. Try a different bar OR only buy one drink at start so the extra 2 adds up to normal amount you'd pay anyway- certainly don't buy any lady drinks.

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

Correct.  They thought sex was the only thing tourists came here for, and that it would sell forever, and can only be bought in Pattaya / Thailand.  They never took their competition seriously.  They are now, though. 

You can only do so much with a tin roof, and an outdoor brick bar.  Customers are still in the traffic noise and fumes, and the heat and dust, and mosquitoes, and music that does not cater for the clientele.

Vietnam, for example, is offering a more pleasant, air conditioned environment, with the the same beer products being served at around 25 to 30 baht. 

I liked the open air bar beers as I would buy a drink at any bar and looked at all the other bars till I found a girl I liked the look of. Good luck doing that in a closed bar.

Lots of things they could do.

Tidy up the bars and have decent stools to sit on

Have the same music for all the bars, not a horrible noise that is confusing.

Have a band that can actually sing in English, or play enjoyable Thai music

Confiscate the phones while they are working

Make them wear attractive clothes, even if the bar has to give them a clothing allowance. No <deleted> jeans.

Have a mamasan that doesn't treat customers like dirt.

NO FAT GIRLS.

3 hours ago, kingdong said:

Traslate?shows how much you know about cockney rhyming slang,here's one for you einstein,how do,'es  old scutter translate into an older woman of questionable appearance and morality?

Yes, if it is rhyming slang, it will have a basis that can be translated. Apples and pears = Stairs.

So tell me about "Sobs".

Why don't you answer my question, which was asked firstly, rather than trying to answer a question with another question? That is just deflection.

So once again, since you claim to be the expert on South London and cockney rhyming slang, how does 'sobs' relate to £?

I know it is sovereigns. But if you think you know better, tell us.

When you have done so, you can read my answer to your question.; I have never called nor heard anyone calling a prostitute an "old scutter".

Scutter AFAIK means excrement(nothing to do with cockney rhyming slang) So it can be used to describe a person of low standing.

Waiting for your explanation....

...or you can just admit that you don't know and we can move on.

6 hours ago, kingdong said:

Who is 'old scutter'?

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The bar girl ALWAYS gets lady drink price in HER bar. If you don't want to pay lady drink price have to take her to another bar.

attempted to barfine,the Mammasans has informed me I would have to buy another two drinks

Never happened to me. Try a different bar OR only buy one drink at start so the extra 2 adds up to normal amount you'd pay anyway- certainly don't buy any lady drinks.

As said can,t be bothered,they,'re taking the p***now and if punters want to stand for it up to them,you ,'re obviously into being dominated enjoy.

Archived