Important Financial Considerations For Visa Holder

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a retirement visa already and will return to Thailand in July on my multiple reentry visa then my wife, who has a Uk passport, will join me in August. I have been told to get her a 3 month non immigrant visa here at the thai embassy in London then convert it in Thailand. One official said that I will need to change my savings account with the amount of over 800,000 baht in it to a joint account but another said it would just be ok to produce our marriage certificate (which happens to be an amphur one from 1970 when we lived in Thailand as residents). Another told me that like me she would have to wait 2 months until the last 30 days of the non immigrant visa to apply for the change but this would mean that when our shipment of effects arrives she would not yet have the retirement visa and mine would be over 6 months old thus complicating clearance. Can she get the retirement visa soon after arrival in Thailand or doe she really have to wait 60 days? Will my saving account in my name only plus the marriage certificate be ok, providing I have over 800,000 baht in it? Can we clear effects duty free on a 1 year retirement visa status but without a work permit or resident's visa? Some other queries. How long does it take to clear dogs coming in as air cargo at Don Muang? Why does one have to pay duty on them if they come in this way whereas there appears to be no formal clearance or duty if they come as excess baggage? David Fisher

Allow me a simple question ... I have a Residence Permit ( for many years ) and my own business (but officially only 49% of course ) as well as several Bank Accounts - but most of the money is obviously going through the Company Accounts ... is that OK and accepted as 'sufficient proof of funds' or does the money have to be idly deposited in a personal Saving Account ??

With regards to your last point, <deleted>, why does an American needs 60000 baht a month to live off in Thailand and a German national 50000.?

I wasn't quite so much comparing the US and Germany. Rather other 3rd world countrie (but then why would they want to stay long term in the realm)

An when I think about it again as as the Thai authorities are only interested in your money and not you you yourself "yes" why don't they just go for the jugular and take everyone for the same figure.

And it's not based on what you need but rather Thailands perception that some countries are more affluent than others I guess.

Bottom line though Germans probably need more money not less when you see the way they through money around in Pattaya. They have really <deleted>*ked the market as the girls all expect the higher rates for going off to go off.

"dinfisher" I can put you onto the right man an expat like yourself who has just shipped 17 dogs in two batches from his home in Cyprus to Bangkok and onto Chiang Mai. He will not doubt give you all the guff re customs, vet clearances etc. If you e-mail me I will give you his e-mail address. Please advise him I referred you. "[email protected]"

Hi,

Don't want to sound stupid but does this mean that if I want to come and live with my thai wife that I need $40,00 bht per month or $400,000 bht and she also needs to have $400,000 bht in the bank or $40,000 bht per mth,

ie totalling $80,000 bht per mth or $800,000 bht in the bank, is this right or is it just me needing $400,000 bht or $40,000 bht per mth.

Confused,

Scott H

At the risk of spoiling the party I must point out that OR does not necessarily imply 'a bit of one and a bit of the other'. It usually indicates an alternative, i.e. one OR the other. Thus either 800k in the bank or 65k per month. Do not be surprised if this distinction is expressed in the coming months.

I'm surprised that they have a "sliding scale" based on country of origin. That seems to indicate they are just trying to milk us, but not so hard we kick over the pail.

I guess they charge us Americans more because they think we have more money. Maybe they did some research on our retirement systems. The 60,000 baht per month is pretty close to the typical retirement benefit for Social Security, but that could just be a coincidence.

:o

The list at the top of the post is the minimum wage that has to be paid to workers from the areas listed,not the income that is required for a resident retired or married visa..

I have never come across a government department anywhere in the world like the Thai immigration. I have lived here for 3 years and all I hear is that this regulation now applies to this subject, which is then contradicted by another 'official' document and then contradicted again. The information changes depending on which office and/or which 'official' is giving the info.

The 'official' contradictions are staggering for a government department, when is this mob going to sing from the same song sheet.

All they manage to do, is confuse everyone and make the 'serious residents' angry.

My friend has a 'o' retirment visa same as me. We go to the same office for our visas and see the same officers. He has been told that he does not need to report every 90 days and he hasn't reported every 90 days for over 2 years with no problems. I go to the same officer and want the same and all I get is that "there is no 1 year retirement visa that you do not have to report every 90 days".

"But my friend does this already" and the same thing is repeated even when I tell the officer that it was her that said it to him. She just denies saying it, but my friend has never been pulled for not reporting.

If you go to London and apply for a 1 years retirement visa, they require you to show bank evidence, health report, police report etc,etc.

If on the other hand you don't mind travelling to Hull in the north east of the UK to the Thai consulate, you don't have to show anything except your passport, no reports, no bank evidence, nothing and it can be done by post for 90 pounds or 100 pounds for a personal interview in Hull and your in and out of the office in about 4-5 minutes or as long as it takes for the consulate to find the right stamp.

The only ones they're making exceptions for are English teachers. At least the govt. has enough sense to figure that one out. Teachers are low on the income scale and do tremendous amounts of work, nothing in this world ever really makes sense. What is ironic is that the lowest paid Farang English teachers are the ones

working for government schools. it's just crazy. It's almost as bad as a story I read recently about a guy who got a job in Iraq as a lifeguard at a swimming pool

looking out for GIs while they swim on their time off. The guys pay is US$80,000

per year, while the guys he is 'guarding' risk their lives in combat and get paid

US$20,000-30,000 a year! They must want to kick his a$$.

Does the guy working at the pool get family provided benefits and a retirement after 20 years work. Does the guy get reassignment from there at the same pay rate or more. So the guy at the pool may of gave up work somewhere else for a job that may only last a few months. Sounds like he may of gave up more than he

receives long term. Short term gain for a long term loss is not that good of a deal

then of course if you are narrow minded you only look at the one number 80,000

and you do not pay attention to the print thats states 30 day notice is the only thing you will receive when your times up. No pension benefits to boot or anything else. A pat on the back and we expect you out of here next month is the only thing

you will get. I would also say that he is in the same range of a rocket as anyone else in the area let alone most will get no insurance if something happens to him/her.

Sorry I must be narrow minded. those GIs are making a bloody fortune, I forgot.

Also you should be aware that as a foreigner you will not earn interest on your Thai bank deposit (Bank of Thailand regulation), plus you will be charged 500 baht a month service fee.

Hmm both incorrect newby.... :o

I'm with Dutchy on this one. Absolute <deleted>! Savings accounts and fixed savings

accounts earn interest.

Bottom line though Germans probably need more money not less when you see the way they through money around in Pattaya. They have really <deleted>*ked the market as the girls all expect the higher rates for going off to go off.

Same - same in BKK, but it's the Septic Tanks who are screwing up the market, and the Septics wonder why the rest of the expats don't hold them in the highest esteem :o

Hi,

Don't want to sound stupid but does this mean that if I want to come and live with my thai wife that I need $40,00 bht per month or $400,000 bht and she also needs to have $400,000 bht in the bank or $40,000 bht per mth,

ie totalling $80,000 bht per mth or $800,000 bht in the bank, is this right or is it just me needing $400,000 bht or $40,000 bht per mth.

Confused,

Scott H

If you are legally married you only need one lot of 400,000 baht in a Thai bank or that monthly income.

Having been in Thailand for over eight years I've never had a problem; initially having cat B visas, work permits etc. These past few years, no business, no legit work so I've been on a non imm cat O multiple entry. I emphasise I am NOT married. I am currently in the UK on business & need to renew my visa.Today I telephoned the Thai consulate in Hull & spoke at length to a very helpful lady who assures me that the consulate has received no new instructions with regards to these new regulations whatsoever & as far as she & all staff there are concerned it is business as usual.

The consulate is aware of the impending changes, however, she tells me that they are designed specifically for farang with Thai spouses & will not have any effect on single guys like myself, assuring me that I do not have to tie up 400,000 baht in my Thai bank account or demonstrate my income. I post this info predominantly for those guys who are not married & are not old enough to qualify for the retirement visa; little has been mentioned here for us :o.........Maybe we should form a union......The Young (or younger) Singles Club....lol

Clicker

The rules are...?

My wife attempted for more than a half hour yesterday to explain a concept, situation, ... I honestly don't know or understand. The thing roughly comes across as Thai translates for Thai.

She encountered this several times while working in the local Government offices where both superiors and subordinates would put their own slant on a directive handed down.

To me this sounded preposterous. A government could not possibly function like that, yet this is apparently commonplace and the norm. She cited a couple of incidents where she observed this happen. A directive came down from Bangkok, the office supervisor handed it to a subordinate and the subordinate misinterpreted it according to what worked best in that particular office at that given time.

If this is in fact the case, as it certainly appears to be, it would well explain the loose translation and implimentation of and/or in the farang income. In America and England such a thing would have heads rolling. However, as long time farangs have likely encountered, this does seem to fit quite well with how things operate here in Thailand.

If others have heard of or encountered similar 'free translation' incidents and have further insight on this matter I think it could help us all in understanding what we are dealing with.

Snark,

What you are dealing with here is probably corruption. What was said at the time the directive was handed down does not necessarily reflect what might have been said between subordinate and superior before that. As an example, a few years ago, despite the rules calling for a retirement pension of B65,000 as the minimum requirement, and despite the fact that at the time I was grandfathered under the B20,000 per month requirement, I was told that I must do a wire transfer of B72,000 per month. Since the rules were not adhered to, there was no doubt in my mind that someone was looking for a payoff. I managed to get this sorted out with some outside help and without paying any bribes and when I returned to get my stamp, it was for the rest of the one year and I was told that B20,000 per month was enough. I have been here continually since 1982, first as a "dependent of a Thai citizen" and almost ten years now as a retiree. I never paid a bribe during my "dependency" years, and since retirement have had only the one hassle noted above. The Immigration people are bureaucrats. They follow directions from above, so when they do not seem to be following the written rules, they are most likely looking for income enhancement. Thai bureaucracy is composed of client-sponsor relationships, in which people pay to work under a certain high(er) ranking official (sponsor) because that official will take care of the client (the lower ranking official). It is similar in concept to Thai politics in which people join a political party not because they believe in its ideals or because they can do more for the people who voted for them, but because they are promised more for themselves by the party. And one of the ways in which a lower ranking Immigration official can get benefits is when his sponsor is on the take, which puts the client on the take as well. Other officials nearby will not say anything because it is not their affair. When such a situation is encountered about all you can do is try some other officials (tell the official you are ill and come back the next day), enlistin g some outside help (if you know anyone who has a connection).

Allow me a simple question ... I have a Residence Permit ( for many years ) and my own business (but officially only 49% of course ) as well as several Bank Accounts - but most of the money is obviously going through the Company Accounts ... is that OK and accepted as 'sufficient proof of funds' or does the money have to be idly deposited in a personal Saving Account ??

From what you say you are a businessman runnining a legitimate business. and not a retiree, nor caring for a Thai wife or child. No problems for you.

I got my 1 year type O visa about a month ago - still subject to Police approval of course! I had to show 200,000b in the bank with a certified letter from the bank, not just a copy of my passbook. However, they did not ask me to prove that the money had come from abroad, which is fortunate as some of the money had been deposited as cash and the bulk from my Thai wife's Bank of Bangkok account!

I was told that I had just made it under the wire for the 200,000 amount and that next year 400,000 would be required.

Of course, what is true for one may not be true for another. There was a moment when the immigration officer put down the paperwork and took a good long look at me. After that she gave me a smile and everthing went smoothly from there. In retrospect I think that was when she decided to go ahead and not give me a lot of grief! :o

There was a moment when the immigration officer put down the paperwork and took a good long look at me. After that she gave me a smile and everthing went smoothly from there. In retrospect I think that was when she decided to go ahead and not give me a lot of grief! :o

Please upload your picture here otherstuff, we'll then vote whether your visa was granted on just grounds or merely an erronous evaluation from your exterior appearance.. :D

Dutchy

Also you should be aware that as a foreigner you will not earn interest on your Thai bank deposit (Bank of Thailand regulation), plus you will be charged 500 baht a month service fee.

Hmm both incorrect newby.... :o

Apologies, I had been mis-informed by Pattaya expat club. My Thai bank today advised that savings account will earn 0.75% interest based upon daily balance, payable twice annually.

caughtintheact2

What you are dealing with here is probably corruption. What was said at the time the directive was handed down does not necessarily reflect what might have been said between subordinate and superior before that. As an example, a few years ago, despite the rules calling for a retirement pension of B65,000 as the minimum requirement, and despite the fact that at the time I was grandfathered under the B20,000 per month requirement, I was told that I must do a wire transfer of B72,000 per month. Since the rules were not adhered to, there was no doubt in my mind that someone was looking for a payoff. I managed to get this sorted out with some outside help and without paying any bribes and when I returned to get my stamp, it was for the rest of the one year and I was told that B20,000 per month was enough. I have been here continually since 1982, first as a "dependent of a Thai citizen" and almost ten years now as a retiree. I never paid a bribe during my "dependency" years, and since retirement have had only the one hassle noted above. The Immigration people are bureaucrats. They follow directions from above, so when they do not seem to be following the written rules, they are most likely looking for income enhancement. Thai bureaucracy is composed of client-sponsor relationships, in which people pay to work under a certain high(er) ranking official (sponsor) because that official will take care of the client (the lower ranking official). It is similar in concept to Thai politics in which people join a political party not because they believe in its ideals or because they can do more for the people who voted for them, but because they are promised more for themselves by the party. And one of the ways in which a lower ranking Immigration official can get benefits is when his sponsor is on the take, which puts the client on the take as well. Other officials nearby will not say anything because it is not their affair. When such a situation is encountered about all you can do is try some other officials (tell the official you are ill and come back the next day), enlistin g some outside help (if you know anyone who has a connection)

Not exactly surprised if the game of the system is like above, however its a little sad because so many of us are a silent contributor to the Country, but in reality will we never get the change to play, but only be an extra!

caughtintheact2

What you are dealing with here is probably corruption. What was said at the time the directive was handed down does not necessarily reflect what might have been said between subordinate and superior before that. As an example, a few years ago, despite the rules calling for a retirement pension of B65,000 as the minimum requirement, and despite the fact that at the time I was grandfathered under the B20,000 per month requirement, I was told that I must do a wire transfer of B72,000 per month. Since the rules were not adhered to, there was no doubt in my mind that someone was looking for a payoff. I managed to get this sorted out with some outside help and without paying any bribes and when I returned to get my stamp, it was for the rest of the one year and I was told that B20,000 per month was enough. I have been here continually since 1982, first as a "dependent of a Thai citizen" and almost ten years now as a retiree. I never paid a bribe during my "dependency" years, and since retirement have had only the one hassle noted above. The Immigration people are bureaucrats. They follow directions from above, so when they do not seem to be following the written rules, they are most likely looking for income enhancement. Thai bureaucracy is composed of client-sponsor relationships, in which people pay to work under a certain high(er) ranking official (sponsor) because that official will take care of the client (the lower ranking official). It is similar in concept to Thai politics in which people join a political party not because they believe in its ideals or because they can do more for the people who voted for them, but because they are promised more for themselves by the party. And one of the ways in which a lower ranking Immigration official can get benefits is when his sponsor is on the take, which puts the client on the take as well. Other officials nearby will not say anything because it is not their affair. When such a situation is encountered about all you can do is try some other officials (tell the official you are ill and come back the next day), enlistin g some outside help (if you know anyone who has a connection)

Not exactly surprised if the game of the system is like above, however its a little sad because so many of us are a silent contributor to the Country, but in reality will we never get the change to play, but only be an extra!

That's life I'm afraid :o

My friend has a 'o' retirment visa same as me. We go to the same office for our visas and see the same officers. He has been told that he does not need to report every 90 days and he hasn't reported every 90 days for over 2 years with no problems. I go to the same officer and want the same and all I get is that "there is no 1 year retirement visa that you do not have to report every 90 days".

Hi Faro,

Everybody is required to report every 90 days.

This Requirement is Item 5 on the Departure Card

Section of Form TM.6 - (Stapled inside your Passport

by Immigration on arrival).

The Arrival Card section - signed by you - is kept by Immigration.

No one can claim ignorance of this requirement.

Just because your Friend has never repoted evry 90 days

does not mean he is not required to do so ...

Or does he go out of Thailand regularly and is never here for 90 days?

Reporting every 90 days is a Completely separate exercise from Visa Extensions.

Roger

Well, loaded with all the information about Visa's for Thailand, I've made up my mind.

Applying for a "Retirement Visa" for 1 year requires 800.000 Baht deposit on a Thai Bank OR 65.000 Baht income.

Applying for a "Spouse Visa" for 1 year requires 400.000 Baht deposit on a Thai Bank or 40.000 Baht income.

Thus I choose for a "Spouse Visa" which doesn't hurt my wallet (bank account) too much.

But before I go proudly to the Thai Immigration to let them now that I'm ready to sponsor the Thai government if they let me rest in peace for 1 year, I would like to have 2 more answers from the enlighten one's in this group (only to make the confusion heavier).

1. In every Thai Embassy/Consulate, it is specified that you must prove an income of minimum 40.000 Baht.

Is it satisfactory to proof that I have an income of minimum 40.000 Baht in my country, or do I need to transfer the 40.000 Baht into the Kingdom every month?

This is very important to know whether I have to pay taxes or not, as I am only taxed on the amount of money brought into the Kingdom.

Or is it a minimum of 40.000 Baht income to get the Visa, but taxed on the new minimum pay scale for foreigners?

2. I am a Belgium resident, and Belgium has no treaties with Thailand about Taxes or Social Security.

In a Bangkok newspaper, an article was published about taxes in Thailand.

In short terms it said:

- If someone stays in Thailand on 90 days visas, he is not subject to income taxes.

Income taxes are only due if someone stays longer than 180 days in the Kingdom.

- If someone stays longer that 180 days in the Kingdom (1 year visa's), he will be subject to income taxes as his stay is longer than 180 days.

I am retired, and Belgium takes every month taxes and social security contributions.

This cannot be annihilated as Thailand is a non-EU country with non-EU treaties.

As I have already paid taxes in Belgium, I expect to not be taxed again in Thailand.

But is that really so?

Carlos

"If on the other hand you don't mind travelling to Hull in the north east of the UK to the Thai consulate, you don't have to show anything except your passport, no reports, no bank evidence, nothing and it can be done by post for 90 pounds or 100 pounds for a personal interview in Hull and your in and out of the office in about 4-5 minutes or as long as it takes for the consulate to find the right stamp.

The latest info from the Hull Consulate is that they only issue two types of visa, the site use to state that retirement visas must be obtained in person from the Royal Thai Embassy London

NON-IMMIGRANT VISAS CAN BE OBTAINED FROM THIS OFFICE.

There are only two options available:-

a) Single Entry

The validity of this visa is 3 months from date of issue and allows a visitor to enter Thailand for a period of up to 90 days after which they must depart. A further visit will require another visa which must be obtained outside Thailand.

:o Multiple Entry

The validity of this visa is 12 months from date of issue and allows a visitor to enter Thailand on as many occasions as required within the validity of the visa provided no single stay exceeds 90 days. On expiry of the final visit they must depart and cannot return without a new visa which must be obtained outside Thailand.

Visa applications can be made to this office by post or in person. In the case of postal applications it is recommended that they be sent by Royal Mail SPECIAL DELIVERY post and a similar envelope duly stamped and addressed must be provided for the return of passports. This office accepts no responsibility whatsoever for documents lost in the post however caused.

Here's more confusion. As was mentioned before, all depends on the officer and which office he's at.

This was on last Thrursday, June 10th.

GF came along and dealt with the officers. I wore shirt and tie (and yes, pants :o )

I got an extension for my Non-imm-B, 21 days... until I get things straightened out workwise. They were informed about my last employer being crooked and were familiar with the scam.

We also partially completed a mariage licence, translated documents are needed for my embassy's confirmation of "single" status.

Next time we meet, they will issue a Non Imm -O-.

We were told to slap 200 000 baht in a joint account, no proof needed to show it came from abroad. As demanded, a letter from the bank was obtained today , stating the money is there .

July 2005, we shall have 400 000 baht in the joint account.

Before leaving, one of the officers made a call somewhere in BKK, tried to get me a job :D

a) Single Entry

The validity of this visa is 3 months from date of issue and allows a visitor to enter Thailand for a period of up to 90 days after which they must depart. A further visit will require another visa which must be obtained outside Thailand.

:o Multiple Entry

The validity of this visa is 12 months from date of issue and allows a visitor to enter Thailand on as many occasions as required within the validity of the visa provided no single stay exceeds 90 days. On expiry of the final visit they must depart and cannot return without a new visa which must be obtained outside Thailand.

Be careful of the wording "from date of issue"

e,g, a 60-day tourist visa is valid for six months from date of issue (according to my old passport) but the precise meaning is that you have six months to enter the kingdom or get a new visa, after entering the kingdom you can stay for up to 60 days.

However multiple entry non-imm (:D visas, used (past tense - don't know current status) a different approach - the issue was good for 12 months, so if you waited 6 months to enter, you only had 6 months of cumulative stay left before you had to get a new visa.

Different visas, different rules ...... or was it again the infamous differences between interpretations at different offices?

(edit) <deleted> - George - sort it out - (:D is supposed to read ( B )