Important Financial Considerations For Visa Holder

a) Single Entry

The validity of this visa is 3 months from date of issue and allows a visitor to enter Thailand for a period of up to 90 days after which they must depart. A further visit will require another visa which must be obtained outside Thailand.

:o Multiple Entry

The validity of this visa is 12 months from date of issue and allows a visitor to enter Thailand on as many occasions as required within the validity of the visa provided no single stay exceeds 90 days. On expiry of the final visit they must depart and cannot return without a new visa which must be obtained outside Thailand.

Be careful of the wording "from date of issue"

e,g, a 60-day tourist visa is valid for six months from date of issue (according to my old passport) but the precise meaning is that you have six months to enter the kingdom or get a new visa, after entering the kingdom you can stay for up to 60 days.

However multiple entry non-imm (:D visas, used (past tense - don't know current status) a different approach - the issue was good for 12 months, so if you waited 6 months to enter, you only had 6 months of cumulative stay left before you had to get a new visa.

Different visas, different rules ...... or was it again the infamous differences between interpretations at different offices?

(edit) <deleted> - George - sort it out - (:D is supposed to read ( B )

A single entry tourist visa is valid for 3 months from the date of issue. A double entry tourist visa is valid for 6 months. A single entry non-immigrant visa is valid for 3 months, and a multiple is valid for a year.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a US Citizen age 62, engaged to a Thai National up in Udon. I would like to retire in Udon next year after we marry.

My monthly pension from Social Security and Military will be about $1500.00USD a month. My wife's family has some businesses where she will be working.

What is the best Visa to get. My bank account is about $10,000 USD

What is the best Visa to get. My bank account is about $10,000 USD

Support for wife extension of stay from an O visa requires 400k bank or income and retirement extension of stay 800k bank or income.

The support requires you and wife to appear each year.

The retirement requires only you and a medical certificate appear each year

As your pay alone would not be enough for retirement believe the logical choice would be support. It marriage later fails you are free to change if you can meet the requirements.

A supporting a thai, marriage visa, seems to be just the thing for you. Your 10kUSD is just right for the 400KBaht needed to meet the financial responsibility requirement for that visa.

Going the retirement route would give you a more independent visa status, however, you need another 10KUSD to meet the 800K Baht minimum for this classification.

A single entry tourist visa is valid for 3 months from the date of issue. A double entry tourist visa is valid for 6 months. A single entry non-immigrant visa is valid for 3 months, and a multiple is valid for a year.

Are you talking here about the period from having the visa entered in the passport until the date of entry to Thailand, or are you talking about the permitted period of stay after entering the kingdom?

As I said - be careful with the wording - it's what causes a lot of the confusion we see here

A visa has two validity periods - the "valid for" period refers to the time from the embassy or consulate issuing it, until the date after which, if unused, the visa will lapse and a new visa is required before attempting to access the kingdom.

Then there is the visas duration or "entry period permitted" which is the number of days the visa holder is allowed to be in the kingdom before the visa expires and they must then leave the kingdom, or obtain an extension.

Gaz,

I think you're getting 'visa' and 'entry permit' mixed up. The first is issued by Thai embassies/consulates; the second by immigration.

Then there is the visas duration or "entry period permitted" which is the number of days the visa holder is allowed to be in the kingdom before the visa expires and they must then leave the kingdom, or obtain an extension

Here, you're talking about 'entry permit,' not visa. Also, you don't have to be a 'visa holder' to get a 30-day entry permit (for most countries).

It appears visas are issued in terms of months, while entry permits are by days. But both have day one as inclusive, e.g., visa is issued for one year on Dec 15 and expires on Dec 14th the next year -- good for 365 days (366 days in a leap year) inclusive of issue date.

Which brings up a question for the old hands here: If I enter Thailand on Dec 14th (which says "date of expiry" on my visa), is the visa still valid -- or do I need to arrive no later than Dec 13? Not that I would push it this close, but Dec 14th is day 365 of my visa duration, so I would think I'd be ok. However, older visas use to say: "must be utilized before 14 Dec." So, maybe you really only get a 364-day visa duration(?).

Also, when entry stamp says "Until 30 April 2004," I assume I can leave the country on 30 April without paying an overstay fine(?).

Oh, Doc, I once got a non-immigrant 'O' multiple entry good for only 6 months. This was a few years back from embassy in DC, and apparently was the policy of the day. All have been for one year ever since, however.

Oh, Doc, I once got a non-immigrant 'O' multiple entry good for only 6 months. This was a few years back from embassy in DC, and apparently was the policy of the day. All have been for one year ever since, however.

Check your passport as I would guess that was a two entry visa if a few years ago means more than about 6. The multi entry is relatively new for O visas. Used to be like tourist visas and you got a specific number of entries. But then there is always the error of the day so you could be right. :o

But then there is always the error of the day so you could be right.

Nonimmigrant O Visa, Six Months

Lop,

The above link shows the 6-month 'O' visa, issued Jan 4, 2001, expired July 3, 2001. This only happened once, and I don't know if this was common then, or I just happened upon the immigration quirk-of-the-day. I think the price would have been the same had it been a 1-year model, as I recall getting a little irked when I didn't get it for one year. Oh well.

The above link shows the 6-month 'O' visa, issued Jan 4, 2001, expired July 3, 2001

Sure does. But suspect the date stamp was in error and would have been corrected if questioned.

Strange that Washington was still using hand stamp visa in 2001 as Penang changed to machine readable stick in type in 1999. Guess that shows where the most visas were being issued.

Strange that Washington was still using hand stamp visa in 2001

They had switched when I next got an 'O' visa in Dec 2002. And this time there was no argument over why I got only a 6-month duration -- the 1-year variety was issued without prompting.

• 2 weeks later...
a guy who got a job in Iraq as a lifeguard at a swimming pool

looking out for GIs while they swim on their time off. The guys pay is US$80,000

per year, while the guys he is 'guarding' risk their lives in combat and get paid

US$20,000-30,000 a year! They must want to kick his a$$.

That's the price of being dumb. They should actually kick their own ass for being so dumb as to enlist in the military to begin with.

The 'enlistees" took the security route, and joined up with the government. The lifeguard, took more risk, economically, and gets paid more. His risk taking paid off.

Simple economics really.

Funny thing is, the lifeguard is most likely an ex-military man, who know knows the ropes.

But then there is always the error of the day so you could be right.

Nonimmigrant O Visa, Six Months

Lop,

The above link shows the 6-month 'O' visa, issued Jan 4, 2001, expired July 3, 2001. This only happened once, and I don't know if this was common then, or I just happened upon the immigration quirk-of-the-day. I think the price would have been the same had it been a 1-year model, as I recall getting a little irked when I didn't get it for one year. Oh well.

I think that it was simply an error Jim. Keep an eye on 'em in the future :o

Another question on the non-immigrant "O" multiple entry visa. If I get this visa in Malaysia showing my marriage certificate with my Thai wife do I still need to show them a bank account with Baht 400K, or is it ok if I travel abroad at least once within every 90 days and get a 90 days visa on my re-entry? Do I get such 90 days visas directly at the border immigration or do I have to apply while abroad?

Another question on the non-immigrant "O" multiple entry visa. If I get this visa in Malaysia showing my marriage certificate with my Thai wife do I still need to show them a bank account with Baht 400K, or is it ok if I travel abroad at least once within every 90 days and get a 90 days visa on my re-entry? Do I get such 90 days visas directly at the border immigration or do I have to apply while abroad?

Usually there's no proof of funds required to get a non-immigrant O visa outside Thailand, but an officious officer at the Thai Embassy could ask for evidence, and deny a visa if that evidence isn't forthcoming. They are well aware that some avoid the financial requirements by getting multiple entry visa's. You must always get visa's outside Thailand.

Hi guys.

I'm 37, a Swedish citizen, and quite confused by all of this.

I am getting married to a Thai girl as soon as relevant papers arrive from the authorities at home. My gf is 6 months pregnant and i hope we'll have everything settled by the time the child arrives.

I'm currently on a 30day-tv doing visaruns to Cambodja. (done 1 so far)

I want to stay here for atleast 6 months, but probably 1 year, and read that if i do visaruns they might refuse reentry after 6 months.

If i go for the O-visa i will need to show all types of records (marital status, finance, crime) which would mean i need to go back home (marital and finance is ok, but criminal record requires me to go in person). Besides the marital is about to change and i guess the imo will find it conflicting that im single in the swedish papers but married here (will he want a new status report from Sweden?).

Are all these requirements really necessary for a family "O"-visa? Jeeez.. :o

Some say the requirements arent there if i go to Penang, is that true?

What would you advice me to do?

criminal record requires me to go in person

This is not a requirement for marriage based visa AFAIK. If you have a BA degree or above you can probably extend your stay for a year if you are looking for a job here. But you will need to have a visa first so a trip to Penang might be in order after you marry. If you want to use a multi entry O visa where you exit every 90 days the closest place would probably be OZ or your home country as most local Consulates do not seem to issue them anymore (at least to those of working age). You may also be able to continue the 30 day runs if you keep proof of spending money coming from overseas such as atm receipts/bank statements.

Visa only requires marriage certificate and copy of wife's id card.

:o

Hi all,

Thanks for the good thinking and writing... This August, I am about to start a teaching job for an international school in the Chiang Mai area. After a recent visit to the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles, I now have a non-immigrant "B" visa until October of 2004. I have been assured by my employers that they will apply for an extension for 1 year.

Now, assuming that I want to stay after 1 year (and I do a "good job" with my employer...) are teachers "exempted" from this 60,000 Baht/ month requirement? I will be making good money, but considerably less than the 60,000 Baht/ month than has been discussed in this forum for "business" people...

Any long-term teachers out there that "know the ropes" and can give me some suggestions about how to legitimately build my case for long-term residency in Thailand? I want to do this the "right" way, but there seems to be multiple approaches...

Feel free to reply via this forum or by PM to me.

Many thanks!

dseawarrior

soon in Chiang Mai... :D

Hi guys.

I'm 37, a Swedish citizen, and quite confused by all of this.

I am getting married to a Thai girl as soon as relevant papers arrive from the authorities at home. My gf is 6 months pregnant and i hope we'll have everything settled by the time the child arrives.

I'm currently on a 30day-tv doing visaruns to Cambodja. (done 1 so far)

I want to stay here for atleast 6 months, but probably 1 year, and read that if i do visaruns they might refuse reentry after 6 months.

If i go for the O-visa i will need to show all types of records (marital status, finance, crime) which would mean i need to go back home (marital and finance is ok, but criminal record requires me to go in person). Besides the marital is about to change and i guess the imo will find it conflicting that im single in the swedish papers but married here (will he want a new status report from Sweden?).

Are all these requirements really necessary for a family "O"-visa? Jeeez.. :o

Some say the requirements arent there if i go to Penang, is that true?

What would you advice me to do?

No police clearance is required for an O class visa.

I will be making good money, but considerably less than the 60,000 Baht/ month than has been discussed in this forum for "business" people...

There's something not quite in order with this sentence, good money but considerably less than 60,000 baht/month is not good money, my friend.

It might be a good idea for you to check the tuition fees at that particular school, that will give you another idea about costs. I know of some well known schools where two students in a class pay for the year salary of the teacher, it's definatly good for your motivation to know what the school is doing with the money if it's not paying the teachers well.

Good luck

Dutchy

Hey Dutchy,

Yes, I know that I am getting underpaid by Western standards. If you check, you can see that I am a "newbie" here. I am looking for information and you are giving it in a sidewise sort of fashion... Are you teacher? What's your experience? What is reasonable for this area? Have you checked into teacher salaries in the Chiang Mai area? Yes, they are generally low and I did as much research as I could at the time -- and the research continues. I am doing the best I can and I did not find this forum until a couple of weeks ago. This is about living and learning, yes?

This is my first job in Thailand. It is a decent job, decent salary and has medical benefits. Yes, it may turn out to be a "lousy" job, (who knows until you try it out???) but it is a "foot in the door" into the area... The salary should be "enough" to live modestly.

I write to this forum for information from the wise "old-timers"... Feel free to let me know about jobs that pay well... I am happy to personally send you my c.v./ resume if you would like that...

So what is your situation where 60,000 Baht/ month seems like "chump change"?

I don't know you or your situation, so maybe you can tell me more. I am willing to listen.

Thanks! I hope to hear from you (and others) soon... Feel free to PM me as you like.

dseawarrior

mobile in USA:

001-510-393-5782

:o

What has happened to the grandfathering option for those people who already have a visa, in my case a Thai Wife support visa?

I went down to Suan Plu last week after a change of passport to get my visa transferred.

No problem there but I asked an immigration officer ( a captain I think ) and she said next year it would be 400,000 or 40,000 baht income per month.

Can anybody clarify this? :o

The general feedback from the various immigration offices

says NO GRANDFATHERING for those of us who are married.

Only the retirees get that.

if you have a government pension or military retirement pay, then this is not a problem - you will just need the letter

Is that a good assumption?

Many european governments are threatening to welsh on pensions,

or raise the age to entitlement!!

2. I am a Belgium resident, and Belgium has no treaties with Thailand about Taxes or Social Security.

In a Bangkok newspaper, an article was published about taxes in Thailand.

In short terms it said:

- If someone stays in Thailand on 90 days visas, he is not subject to income taxes.

Income taxes are only due if someone stays longer than 180 days in the Kingdom.

- If someone stays longer that 180 days in the Kingdom (1 year visa's), he will be subject to income taxes as his stay is longer than 180 days.

As I have already paid taxes in Belgium, I expect to not be taxed again in Thailand.

You are techincally liable for tax if you stay here more than 180 days in the calendar year.

It all depends if Belgium has a dual tax agreement with Thailand.

If they do you will be OK.

I go to the local tax office each year and show my UK tax statement to confrim that my income has already been taxed and therefore is not liable for tax in Thailand

What has happened to the grandfathering option for those people who already have a visa, in my case a Thai Wife support visa?

I went down to Suan Plu last week after a change of passport to get my visa transferred.

No problem there but I asked an immigration officer ( a captain I think ) and she said next year it would be 400,000 or 40,000 baht income per month.

Can anybody clarify this? :o

The general feedback from the various immigration offices

says NO GRANDFATHERING for those of us who are married.

Only the retirees get that.

Last week Suan Plu was having support visa extension applicants sign a paper that they understood the increase to 400,000 baht so it does look like a done deal. No grandfather unless/until a change is made. :D

2. I am a Belgium resident, and Belgium has no treaties with Thailand about Taxes or Social Security.

In a Bangkok newspaper, an article was published about taxes in Thailand.

In short terms it said:

- If someone stays in Thailand on 90 days visas, he is not subject to income taxes.

Income taxes are only due if someone stays longer than 180 days in the Kingdom.

- If someone stays longer that 180 days in the Kingdom (1 year visa's), he will be subject to income taxes as his stay is longer than 180 days.

As I have already paid taxes in Belgium, I expect to not be taxed again in Thailand.

You are techincally liable for tax if you stay here more than 180 days in the calendar year.

It all depends if Belgium has a dual tax agreement with Thailand.

If they do you will be OK.

I go to the local tax office each year and show my UK tax statement to confrim that my income has already been taxed and therefore is not liable for tax in Thailand

Tax policy seems to be that current income brought into Thailand will be taxed if not exempt by treaty but savings will not be. Believe most people live on money from savings accounts.