Singapore vs Bangkok street-vendors and fun

robblok

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Guess your either a lot poorer then me or havent watched Singapore well (i certainly dont have millions to spend) . I would say there are far more elderly working or without money in Thailand then in Singapore.

I would not call any of the places slums or int he sticks, i guess you really have not been to Singapore. Yes Singapore treats people with better education better (as it should). Rewarding people who put education first and are smart is a good way to get a country ahead. 

I think Singapore still does not compete with the US in poor people and their jobs. 

I certainly have been to Singapore- I lived there.

Loved it in the 70s as good fun place.

In common with many countries the blue meanies have taken over and fun is the first casualty. I do not classify eating as a fun activity, and that seems to be the main thing to do at night now. They turned Bugis Street into a place to shop and eat. Oh unhappy days.

Singapore doesn't have slums in the British sense. They have multi story buildings with tiny living spaces where the workers are hidden out of sight. They used to have kampongs up in the north, but they have all been built over and the jungle is gone. I wandered into one of the "ghettos" once, and they don't even speak English in them. Didn't even recognise where I used to live, next to the jungle. Four lane highway and massive high rise residential blocks built over it.

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Fun to visit, been there many times. Geylang is fun, didn't go to Lil India. Some food courts have cheap food. Spent most time around Orchard. Not rich enough to make S'pore my home.

Sure the food courts have cheap food, i was with a local and she showed me the food courts. She actually told me some of these food courts have far better quality foods. Its just a matter of knowing what ones. 

I don't want to make it my home either, just dont think the critique i read was justified.

4 hours ago, robblok said:

I would not call any of the places slums or int he sticks, i guess you really have not been to Singapore. Yes Singapore treats people with better education better (as it should). Rewarding people who put education first and are smart is a good way to get a country ahead. 

I have worked extensively in Singapore, lived there on many occasions from 1979 to 2016. I would suggest you look a little deeper into Singapore if you want to understand it as a society. 

1 minute ago, CGW said:

I have worked extensively in Singapore, lived there on many occasions from 1979 to 2016. I would suggest you look a little deeper into Singapore if you want to understand it as a society. 

The places i seen were certainly not slums in my book and what would one call the sticks in an small city state ?. Just curious 1979 there might be the sticks.. but in 2016 id expect most parts to be urbanized.

But you have been there more than me will consult my friend who was born there and worked there to see how true it is what your saying. I cant judge based on one short trip.

I do know that i like that people are paid more if they studied more. Why else invest in studies do your best and excel if your going to get paid the same as someone who did not invest did not lose so much time and could have started working earlier. (within limits of course)

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

The places i seen were certainly not slums in my book and what would one call the sticks in an small city state ?. Just curious 1979 there might be the sticks.. but in 2016 id expect most parts to be urbanized.

A lot of people in Singapore had their houses (Kampongs) compulsory purchased over the years and they were moved into HDB apartment blocks, to say their quality of life changed is an understatement. Sure it all looks rosy from the outside!

If you work downtown and live out in the urban areas you will be spending at least an hour on a train or bus to get to work, work is a job - for many that doesn't pay very much, home consists of a HDB "flat" that is basic at best, & costs a lot - the money obviously goes to the "government".

The "social divide" continues to grow worldwide, people are "educated" (indoctrinated) to be good little workers, if I was an "Elite" I would have a similar philosophy :wink:

If you consider that we are born only to work, make money, surround ourselves with material goods - look no further, Singapore is the ideal place, which is the point I was making in the first place that you choose to "question" as you have made "one short trip" there.

1 minute ago, CGW said:

A lot of people in Singapore had their houses (Kampongs) compulsory purchased over the years and they were moved into HDB apartment blocks, to say their quality of life changed is an understatement. Sure it all looks rosy from the outside!

If you work downtown and live out in the urban areas you will be spending at least an hour on a train or bus to get to work, work is a job - for many that doesn't pay very much, home consists of a HDB "flat" that is basic at best, & costs a lot - the money obviously goes to the "government".

The "social divide" continues to grow worldwide, people are "educated" (indoctrinated) to be good little workers, if I was an "Elite" I would have a similar philosophy :wink:

If you consider that we are born only to work, make money, surround ourselves with material goods - look no further, Singapore is the ideal place, which is the point I was making in the first place that you choose to "question" as you have made "one short trip" there.

My questions were more about the fun being sucked out and I disagree unless your there for cheap woman and alcohol. My SG friend commented on the alcohol prices being high.

I was not talking about life in general in SG have not experienced that yet. Though the people look happy. The once i seen and who were working. Far better service then in Thailand. They actually knew what they were doing.

I am not elite but I got a brain and an education and it helps me. In my country studying longer is not rewarded enough. I like there to be some difference between people who don't study long and work faster (thus making more money early) and those studying getting important jobs. Otherwise you get eastern Europe style quality problems where nobody puts effort in what they are doing.

When i lived in my home country i traveled 1.5 or more hours to get to my job its normal the world over. Now I am lucky to work from home. 

22 hours ago, CGW said:

Which is why I stopped loving Singapore. They sold their soul for efficiency and got a stone in return. There is no soul, no sanuk in Singapore anymore.

I used to live in a black and white opposite the Malaysia Hotel, across the big Tanglin circus. I looked on google earth a while back, and it has gone under a big UN building, and even the Malaysia Hotel has gone, along with the circus, replaced with a multi lane highway.

Seems all Singapore has now is shopping and eating out-BORING.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I used to live in a black and white opposite the Malaysia Hotel, across the big Tanglin circus.

I used to occasionally stay in the Malaysia Hotel back in the day, short walk to the Tropicana and Jockey pub, Newton Circus is still there, under the highway!

Singapore has promoted a very positive image of itself, it would be difficult to have any other view as there is no such thing as freedom of speech there, protests are not allowed and criticism (or opposition!) of the government simply not allowed, the shopping is good though, every "high end" boutique that exists has an outlet there, staffed with cheap labour!

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Which is why I stopped loving Singapore. They sold their soul for efficiency and got a stone in return. There is no soul, no sanuk in Singapore anymore.

I used to live in a black and white opposite the Malaysia Hotel, across the big Tanglin circus. I looked on google earth a while back, and it has gone under a big UN building, and even the Malaysia Hotel has gone, along with the circus, replaced with a multi lane highway.

Seems all Singapore has now is shopping and eating out-BORING.

Once the salary differential between expats and locals is eroded, few places are ‘fun’. 

14 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Once the salary differential between expats and locals is eroded, few places are ‘fun’. 

I don't know about that. I used to go down Walking Street, buy one drink an hour and enjoy the passing parade and the general buzz. As I didn't get a takeaway, that was a pretty cheap night out.

Could I do that anywhere in Singapore now? That was what was good about Bugis Street. I could spend all night there and it didn't cost much, but most enjoyable.

On 12/17/2019 at 3:18 PM, CGW said:

I have spent many years living and working in Singapore, great place, in many respects the killer for most is the price of accommodation, house/condo prices are out of reach of the vast majority of people,

I've been to Singapore several times as a tourist, and enjoyed my time there. The only real knock I had on the place at the time was that hotel accommodations seemed VERY expensive compared to Thailand. It seemed hard to find a reasonably priced hotel stay that wasn't dumpy or in a bad area.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want cheaper hotel rooms and good cheap food in Singapore at streetside cafes I recommend you go to Geylang ( no..not gay ) Its out of town a bit but theres a good train service.The meals and beer are cheaper than in the city and you have the extra fun of watching the activities of the Vietnamese  hookers that abound there as they try and stay one step ahead of the police but they are not cheap.

On 12/17/2019 at 1:49 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Thailand- sanuk died, IMO, when Thaksin was elected and never really returned, so unless one was in LOS before Thaksin, one probably doesn't know what sanuk is really about. IMO LOS has been living off the legend for about 15 years.

Me me! I was here. It was fun then...and its fun now!

Archived