Pattaya: Bill dodging Austrian arrested by immigration on ONE day overstay

webfact

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thais are running human trafficking rings, illegal fishing operations, slavery rings, committing genocide on the highway and polluting the nation and devastating the environment to no end.

Whataboutism par excellence ????

I guess you had a very bad experience in LOS ... Did they deport you or did you left by your own decision? 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, nev said:

Cone on one day, Yes arrest and fine him for his transgressions but overstay one day just taking him to the airport and make him pay his 500baht and leave. 

He obtained goods and services without the means and or intention to pay and you think they should overlook the overstay???

If they took him to the airport, had he a flight booked? has he the means to pay for a flight?

Think he will be staying a little longer...

12 hours ago, nev said:

Cone on one day, Yes arrest and fine him for his transgressions but overstay one day just taking him to the airport and make him pay his 500baht and leave. 

starting to get worrying staying in thailand if you forget the date to leave by accident its getting crazy here now , thinking seriously of not coming back here

3 hours ago, ukrules said:
3 hours ago, Grayowl said:

No one arrested him my friend base on his 1 day over stay, read it carefully,  they arrested him base on the fact that he is a criminal that stay , drink and eat without paying and the ability to pay.

That is a civil matter, what was he arrested for again?

Seems the charges are relating to the fact that he had no intention of paying, that is theft, and a criminal action.

12 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

Were they waiting for him 1 day really.now he pays 20k fine instead of 500.i also wonder he may have had a reason for the delay.anyway he is caught  now for only 1 day.

He is not paying 20k now. The fee for overstay set by a court is usually between 3000 and 6000 bath.

7 hours ago, Scot123 said:

People on here should take a long hard look at themselves and open their eyes. This should scare every single expat as to their future living on a knife edge. 1st We do not know why he never paid, we have a restaurant a reason that they gave to the police. 2nd what people on here for some reason aren't grasping; first day overstay if free you only start paying after day 2 @ 500baht a day so 1 week = 3,000baht. 

This type of thing should worry every single expat or any one thinking of visiting Thailand. Regardless of how you want to spin this an arrest warrant was issued for a one day over stay! Let that sink in because the presidence has been set!!! 

Here you are definitely wrong. One day overstay at airports only, is usually free of charge. That is correct. However, two days of overstay, are indeed fined with 1000 bath. One week is therefor 3500 bath.

Get your facts straight, man.

But your point stands if he was planning on leaving that same day.

5 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I was in the UK recently and saw people who work in the Police force, Ambulance service and government offices all sporting tattoos and piercings. It has become rather fashionable, people pay a lot of money for them and it is their choice..

No doubt they would be appalled by fat old men pretending they can speak Thai sitting on bar stools drooling over women young enough to be their grand daughters whilst talking to other sleazy individuals about last nights conquests, in between worrying if their pension will be enough to cover their next retirement extension.

Teach me not to judge another until I have walked a week in his shoes!

Have you actually walked a week in the shoes of one of these fat old men you're referring to?

12 hours ago, Beggar said:

Just two days ago I saw a farang taking out all the paper towels in the toilet at the Central Mall. He took them all with him. I also know some farangs eating what others leave on the plates in the food court there. It makes me feel a little bit embarrassed if I see such farangs. And this guy should be send home as soon as possible. 

Quality tourists , and pattaya go hand in hand. 

10 hours ago, Scot123 said:

People on here should take a long hard look at themselves and open their eyes. This should scare every single expat as to their future living on a knife edge. 1st We do not know why he never paid, we have a restaurant a reason that they gave to the police. 2nd what people on here for some reason aren't grasping; first day overstay if free you only start paying after day 2 @ 500baht a day so 1 week = 3,000baht. 

This type of thing should worry every single expat or any one thinking of visiting Thailand. Regardless of how you want to spin this an arrest warrant was issued for a one day over stay! Let that sink in because the presidence has been set!!! 

Stop the scaremongering!! He was not arrested for overstaying, he was being arrested for not paying his food bill.  The police didn't go out looking for him because of 1 day overstay!

Also, There is no "free" day. Fine starts day 1 at 500B a day. However Bangkok airport typically waives the fee for one day.

2 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Have you actually walked a week in the shoes of one of these fat old men you're referring to?

Yes,

Been there, read the book, seen the film and starred in the play,! I got out of that nonsense over fifteen years ago now and do not miss it in the slightest.

I learned many years ago what the score was in Pattays and it certainly hasn't improved.

3 hours ago, thaibreaker said:

He is not paying 20k now. The fee for overstay set by a court is usually between 3000 and 6000 bath.

Right when you go to court the fee is lowered. However, the fee is 500 per day with a max of 20,000B, it's not automatically 20K. So, his fine for overstay right now is 500B, plus any other fees or fines he will be charged with.  

15 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And gets banned for 5 years!

Wrong. No ban.

I spoke to him today. 

2000 baht fine. 

One more night in the monkey house. 

He has family in Bangkok and lived here 10 years. 

The overstay was because he was pulled in for an unpaid bill.

6 years ago..

And was in the monkey house. 

All makes good reading though. 

There's always a true story somewhere...

4 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Yes,

Been there, read the book, seen the film and starred in the play,! I got out of that nonsense over fifteen years ago now and do not miss it in the slightest.

I learned many years ago what the score was in Pattays and it certainly hasn't improved.

What do you expect 'Pattays' to be.

It's a knocking shop where dirty old men can get cheap sex from women who would not give them the time of day in the real world.

And that's why you went there in the first place just like I still do.

12 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

I think my version of TV cuts short the articles. I can't find anywhere on the IP about 20K nor 5 years ban

I am not certain that he gets the 20k fine, I thought it was 500 baht/day up to a maximum of 20k. Possibly as he was caught rather than volunteered there is more to pay. 

In the case of a ban, 5 years minimum is stated for anyone who is arrested and prosecuted on an overstay of under a year. 

1 minute ago, Gustomucho said:

Play by the rules or risk getting caught, you are a guest in that Country, Thailand does not owe you anything more than a limited stay.  If you are not happy about it, find another place to visit / stay / mooch.

Wow, for a newbie, you've certainly got all the old Thai Visa cliches off pat.

8 hours ago, Basil B said:

Think he will be staying a little longer...

He will be in prison for months before they finally move him to Bangkok, on to the IDC and eventually arrange a repatriation after he's paid a lot of money.

It's all about the money with these people.

10 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Wow, for a newbie, you've certainly got all the old Thai Visa cliches off pat.

It is the same all around the world, you either follow the law or you get the boot.  Sure the TAT may be stupid on a lot of rules / laws but overstaying and breaking the law is not the way to make thing go forward or helping every other law abiding expats.

13 minutes ago, Gustomucho said:

It is the same all around the world, you either follow the law or you get the boot.  Sure the TAT may be stupid on a lot of rules / laws but overstaying and breaking the law is not the way to make thing go forward or helping every other law abiding expats.

Very cliched. This guy's actions don't affect me in any way whatsoever.

20 hours ago, Beggar said:

I guess it is an Australian guy. With the name William and all his many tattoos I would say he better fits to the land of kangaroos than to the land of mountains. 

As a cop said to me the other day '' Ah Australia near near German"  ????

18 hours ago, Traubert said:

No-one said that arresting a bill runner and an overstayer was a priority. It was just routine policing as it would be anywhere in the world.

All those other shenanigans that you list are no doubt being addressed. No-one was taken off the slavery rings cases to arrest a broke westerner and to think so is fanciful to say the least.

All those other shenanigans that you list are no doubt being addressed. Really? And how do you know that? Since it is well known that many high ranking officials and elites, are involved in slavery rings, human trafficking and illegal fishing, and it is also well known that this administration was installed to protect the elite, the powerful, the wealthy, and those in power, how do you reconcile this inconsistency? Or do you just presume Prayuth is so noble, so competent, and so concerned for his nation, that everything that is wrong with the nation is being addressed? 

Please enlighten us on what they are doing at the moment with regard to air quality, and traffic safety. We are waiting with baited breath. 

19 hours ago, Scot123 said:

What a stupid thing to say. I have tattoos or tatts as you say so am I a low life, uneducated thug or just unclassy? Bloody stupid. Do you want to measure IQ? How pathetic. Never judge a book by its cover. 

I have a good friend who is absolutely covered in tattoos. His entire arms and chest and back. And he is a big guy. If one is predisposed to judge a book by it's cover, it is rather easy to jump to conclusions about him, and I am sure many do. However, the guy is brilliant, can converse on nearly any subject fluently, is very well read and educated (he is a very highly regarded mining foreman), is a super nice guy, and defies any preconceived notion a small minded person might have about him. 

Archived