actually talking to someone at Social Security and getting help

jctv1944

Are you attempting to contact the office in the Philippines?

I don’t have that number myself, but friends who’ve contacted them have reported smooth, albeit slow progress with their various problems or issues.

I hope some more knowledgeable TV members will step up with current info.

Good luck!

56 minutes ago, jctv1944 said:

thanks. I would appreciate a contact number or email address. Thanks again

I don't know of any e-mail address but their main office number is 1-800-772-1213. They usually pick up reasonably quickly but it'll roll to different numbers/extensions until someone does answer. If no one is available it should give you the option to leave your number for a callback. This time of year they are most likely understaffed thus might be the reason you haven't reached anyone. Keep trying. You'll get thru eventually. 

If you open a MySocialSecurity account you can change your address online. Not sure if you can do that if you are outside the country yet but they said they are working on it.

Good luck!

Their email address in the Phillippines is [email protected]     Their phone number as of Oct 6, 2019 is +63 2 5301 2000.  I have never been able to get anyone to answer a phone there, and have never received a call back. They always have answered my emails, usually within three or four days. To do a change of address you need to mail them a completed SSA-21 form. 

59 minutes ago, jctv1944 said:

Thanks Fred, but how do I get an ssa-21 form?..........on Line?

first and easy for any future correspondence and forms is to create a on line account, go my their site https://www.ssa.gov/  all explained there, assuming you are in Thailand, sometimes the site is not accessed via internet from Thailand if that happens any VPN will solve that problem  good luck

Tried to open "my account", but they said I cannot do that unless I have an address in the usa. I don't have that. I have lived in Thailand for 20 years. Used to be able to communicate with Social Security in the Philippines and also the Embassy in Bangkok. Now the Embassy will not even answer the phone. YOu have to go in person and can only make an appointment "on line".  

Thanks to all for your comments. 

I will keep trying to reach SS in Philippines

Rose Anne C. Evangelista | Claims Representative | Social Security Administration

Embassy of the United States of America | 1201 Roxas Boulevard, Ermita 0930 Manila, Philippines

Phone: +63 2 5301 2467 |+63 2 5301 2000 ext 9 |  Fax: +63 2 8708 9714 | E-Mail: [email protected] / [email protected] | Website: www.ssa.gov

Telephone Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays - 8:00 AM to 11:00 AM (Manila Time), except U.S. and Philippine Holidays

Public Hours: Monday through Friday - 8:00 AM  to 12:00 PM, except U.S. and Philippine Holidays and the first Wednesday of every month

Apply Online for Benefits – it is fast and easy!

You can apply for the following benefits online:

1.Retirement at http://www.ssa.gov/planners/about.htm

2.Disability at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/applyfordisability/

3.Medicare Only at http://www.ssa.gov/medicareonly/

An SSA-21 is the former way of submitting an address change and is rarely used nowadays. Simply send an email to the Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) Manila (U.S. Social Security) with the following information:

Beneficiary's Last Name, First Name, Date of Birth, Last Four Digits of Social Security Number, New Mailing Address and Contact Phone Number.

FBU Manila will phone you if they need additional beneficiary information or have any questions. If you wish to speak with a Social Security Representative at Manila then request a rep to phone you when you email them. Take note of their phone-in days and hours (see Post #13).

In reference to Post #13, Ms. Evangelista may or may not be the rep assigned to your case. You would be lucky if she was assigned being that she has an excellent reputation. Send your email to [email protected]

https://ph.usembassy.gov/embassy/manila/sections-offices/   (scroll down to Social Security Administration)

Social Security Administration – Federal Benefits Unit

Embassy of the United States of America | Manila, Philippines

Inquiry Line: (+63 2) 301-2000, Option 9  NOTE: Effective October 6, 2019, our new phone number will be (+63 2) 5301-2000

Telephone Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays - 8:00 AM to 11:00 AM (Manila Time), except U.S. and Philippine Holidays

Public Hours: Monday through Friday - 8:00 AM  to 12:00 PM, except U.S. and Philippine Holidays and the first Wednesday of every month

E-Mail: [email protected]

Archived