Demo site for waste management opens in Rayong

rooster59

Demo site for waste management opens in Rayong

By The Nation

800_1c0c25af8c18bc4.jpg

Natural Resources and Environment Minister Varawut Silpa-archa on Friday (December 20) presided over the opening of a demonstration site for integrated marine waste management,located at Kodpor Public Park in Rayong province.

The minister inspected various areas and witnessed demonstrations, such as non-smoking beach, floating boom, robotic garbage collection, and waste management methods of related authorities and the private sector.

He said the garbage issue has always been a priority and the problem should be solved soon.

Varawuth Rayong 2.jpg

Natural Resources and Environment Minister, Varawut Silpa-archa

“Thailand demonstrated its leadership potential among Asean countries in tackling marine plastic waste by announcing the roadmap for plastic waste management (2018 to 2030) and the Bangkok Declaration on Combating Marine Debris,” he said.

Varawuth Rayong 3.jpg

Several projects were implemented, including collaboration with the Netherlands on using waste collection technologies in rivers and seas and cooperation with the private sector on waste collection and recycling, he said.

“One of the new projects involves collaboration with over 80 shopping centres on ending the practice of putting customer purchases in plastic bags, starting on January 1 next year,” he added.

Varawuth Rayong 5.jpg

Also, Natural Resources and Environment Minister and Mayor of Rayong province Vorawit Suphachokchai, recently led a campaign to reduce the use of plastic bags at Rayong Fair flea market by allowing consumers to exchange their plastic bags for cloth bags.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379716

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-22

In the village where I live, there are people who pay for beer bottles, cardboard and plastic, normally bottles. I sold some scrap metal for 5 baht per kilo once, was glad to get rid of it to be honest. I'm not sure what to with broken glass or crockery though.

Other waste is managed by burning, unless the dogs, chickens or rats get to it first. Nasty smelly stinking smoking open fires, normally in front of the houses by the roads. There is no other waste collection.

Seems to me waste is managed quite well thanks...

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He said the garbage issue has always been a priority and the problem should be solved soon.

Does he work for TAT?  Thailand is sixty years behind civilised countries in most respects.  This problem is ingrained in the Thai psyche.