fiancee visa and tourist visafor thai woman to go to US

Scenario #1- Once a thai woman goes to the US with her American boyfriend on a fiancee visa and they wind up getting married within the 3 month time period, what kind of visa would the married thai woman need to apply for to make subsequent trips to the US? Another words, after they were married in the US the thai woman came back to Thailand to live and when she wants to go back to the US with her American husband what kind of a visa would she have to apply for?

Scenario #2-     In another scenario an American man gets married to a thai woman in Thailand and they are going to apply for a tourist visa for the married thai woman to visit the US with her husband for around 6 weeks. Since they were married in Thailand would this make obtaining a tourist visa any easier in Thailand to go to the US? They don't want to apply for a fiancee visa since they were already married in Thailand plus the thai woman does not want to live in the US, for various reasons, but would like to visit the US with her American husband for around 6 weeks.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sad and rare you didn't get any replies.  Im not the expert but I think I know Scenario 1  she would not need a visa to travel  back and forth  once she has her green card.  She cant leave USA  between marriage and getting the green card.    You apply for change of status to married then apply for a green card.  Maybe  a year  process but times change all the time. 

Scenario  2, i think it would look like she is trying to circumvent the CR1 Visa process and plans to stay  in USA 

Just so happens; I did scenario #2 with my wife, only difference is we registered our marriage in Thailand with the US embassy. Saying that, I don't think it helped any. We had been together for approx 5 years--married for 2 the first time we tried, she was denied. Second time we tried with the same documents as the first time, she got 6 months. Basically a Thai citizen--whether married to a US citizen or not, needs to show some reason they'll return to Thailand.

• Like 1

The fiance Visa is a PIA 12 to 15 months for approval. Most of them do eventually get approved.

Then, after you marry you will have to stay in the US for 6 months or so for additional documents.

Very very rare for any Thai female to get a tourist Visa now things have changed married or not.  Also, on the TV do not waste money and go thru an agency here they cannot influence the US embassy in any way.

Edited by bkk6060

On 12/23/2019 at 4:23 AM, watgate said:

Scenario #1- Once a thai woman goes to the US with her American boyfriend on a fiancee visa and they wind up getting married within the 3 month time period, what kind of visa would the married thai woman need to apply for to make subsequent trips to the US? Another words, after they were married in the US the thai woman came back to Thailand to live and when she wants to go back to the US with her American husband what kind of a visa would she have to apply for?

Senario one she will not need a visa because after married , she will be issued  temporary permanent resident status (green card) for two years and after two years she would get her permanent resident status (permanent green Card). and as a permanent resident she does not need a visa.

If she returns to Thailand and stays there for longer than 6 months she could lose her green card and then she would need to apply for a visa like anyone else who is married to a US citizen. 

I suggest that after her obtaining the permanent green card she applies for US citizenship  (a relatively easy process) si that she will not have any problems for the rest of her life.

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 4:23 AM, watgate said:

Scenario #2-     In another scenario an American man gets married to a thai woman in Thailand and they are going to apply for a tourist visa for the married thai woman to visit the US with her husband for around 6 weeks. Since they were married in Thailand would this make obtaining a tourist visa any easier in Thailand to go to the US? They don't want to apply for a fiancee visa since they were already married in Thailand plus the thai woman does not want to live in the US, for various reasons, but would like to visit the US with her American husband for around 6 weeks.

If they are already married, unless they can prove compelling reasons as to why they will return to Thailand , getting a tourist visa can be difficult, because the Embassy will think that you are trying to circumvent the married Immigration process , you want to go there on a tourist visa and once there you will apply for a change of status and not come back.. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Sad 1