Recommendations / Health-Travel Insurance / 30 days

mushroomdave

I am Canadian, 54, and travel between Taiwan and Thailand often.  I have used different travel insurance companies for my Thailand stays over the years and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for me?  Arriving in January for 30 days.   Thank you in advance! 

•  

I am pretty sure you will not be able to get a Thailand policy as you need to be in the country for at least 6 months to qualify for Thai insurance. But I don't know if that means you HAVE been, or PLAN ON BEING six months in Thailand.  In any case you will probably best keep searching around outside Thailand.

Hi, check out WorldNomads.

You can book travel-insurance with them for any period of time (1 day to 180 days, or even longer) on the fly, starting next day.  Very transparent policy conditions, quick response on queries and easy.

I use them to cover my non-insured periods when staying in Thailand (my home-country's annual travel-insurance policy provides coverage for trips of max 180 days, after which you would need to be 2 weeks home again before you are covered again for subsequent trips).

Thanks rak sa_ngop, but I come and go a month at a time (or less), shop around, and have gotten it through some Thai offices.   Over the years I have gotten it through Allianz Thailand, Chubb Thailand and even my Bangkok Bank a few times.  But they seemed to have up the prices of late so was just asking around.  Thanks again!!

1 minute ago, mushroomdave said:

Thanks, but I come and go a month at a time (or less), shop around, and have gotten it through some Thai offices.   Over the years I have gotten it through Allianz Thailand, Chubb Thailand and even my Bangkok Bank a few times.  But they seemed to have up the prices of late so was just asking around.  Thanks!!

You are most probably referring to accident-assurance, for which you can get a 1-year policy at several thai banks for approx 2.000 - 4.000 THB.  Obviously that does not cover you for illnesses that require urgent treatment, and does not include re-patriation, which travel-insurance will provide.

44 minutes ago, mushroomdave said:

Thanks rak sa_ngop, but I come and go a month at a time (or less), shop around, and have gotten it through some Thai offices.   Over the years I have gotten it through Allianz Thailand, Chubb Thailand and even my Bangkok Bank a few times.  But they seemed to have up the prices of late so was just asking around.  Thanks again!!

Thanks for that info. Sounds like some companies can work around the 6 month requirement. I have a friend working for a Thai Insurance broker who told me about the 6 month rule.  Maybe you were signed up for 6 month or 1 year contracts. But this is Thailand so anything goes?

9 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Thanks for that info. Sounds like some companies can work around the 6 month requirement. I have a friend working for a Thai Insurance broker who told me about the 6 month rule.  Maybe you were signed up for 6 month or 1 year contracts. But this is Thailand so anything goes?

Yes it's Thailand. All of them weren't recent and remember Bangkok Bank had the daily plan and I only purchased 21 days I remember (you had to be an account holder).  But rules change all the time as we know!!  Thanks!! 

On 12/24/2019 at 12:09 PM, Peter Denis said:

Hi, check out WorldNomads.

You can book travel-insurance with them for any period of time (1 day to 180 days, or even longer) on the fly, starting next day.  Very transparent policy conditions, quick response on queries and easy.

I use them to cover my non-insured periods when staying in Thailand (my home-country's annual travel-insurance policy provides coverage for trips of max 180 days, after which you would need to be 2 weeks home again before you are covered again for subsequent trips).

As a matter of interest, they only insure under 65.

2 minutes ago, malt25 said:

As a matter of interest, they only insure under 65.

When filling in some details on their website (your country of residence, your age, your travel destination(s), period to be covered) you will get an on-the-spot quote.  Their website also mentions to contact them directly when you are +65 years of age, so I presume that it would be possible to also get a quote being over that age. 

In my experience they answer same or next day on any questions e-mailed to them.

Not super cheap, but I am very impressed with their transparency, ease of subscribing and overall customer service.

Check your credit card some cards offer free travel from 90 to 180 days I use a platinum around $270AU a year but more than payed for itself when traveling...If you dont have one of these cards good idea to get one...

1 minute ago, AlexRRR said:

Check your credit card some cards offer free travel from 90 to 180 days I use a platinum around $270AU a year but more than payed for itself when traveling...If you dont have one of these cards good idea to get one...

Thanks, you read my mind.    Actually went to my bank here in Taiwan who deals with Visa and I have an appointment Friday.  

2 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Yes, the extras that Gold or Platinum Credit-cards provide often make it very worthwhile to pay the annual fee these Plus-cards charge.

My Golden credit-card includes a.o. free cancellation of flights in case of sickness or other urgency, so I always use that card and un-click the cancellation option when booking flights. As I fly regularly the 40,- Euro annual fee for the card is already 'paid back' when booking my first international flight.

Be aware that the extras offered differ considerably for each Bank that issues the credit-card. 

On 1/1/2020 at 9:45 AM, AlexRRR said:

FYI. I reside in Thailand. I have an ANZ platinum visa credit card. I retain an Australian address. I have contacted the ANZ insurer & you only qualify for the credit card linked insurance if you are traveling FROM Australia not INTO Australia.

Archived