Notary Service at US Embassy - How to Prepare?

WangSiyi

Has anyone had experience with the notary service at the US Embassy? I have an appointment tomorrow and on the checklist it asks that I bring “One photocopy of the bio-data page of the government-issued photo ID you will present with your document” along with my ID. 

As it is tomorrow and I don’t have access to a copy service, has anyone ever gotten documents notarized at the Embassy? Would bringing just an ID without a copy be sufficient? Would they refuse or reschedule me if I only brought my ID but not a copy along with it? I’ve never heard that a copy of an ID was necessary along with the ID. I thought just an ID is sufficient. What did you guys bring to your notary appointments?

I assume your ID would be your passport. A copy of the photo page is needed.

The last time I was at the embassy it was fairly new  requirement and I did not have it. They made a copy of my passport then.

I don't think they would turn you away if you did not have a copy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WangSiyi said:

What did you guys bring to your notary appointments?

you cannot make copies at the embassy.

whatever they want make sure you have it.

they are very strict.

don't be late. show up early and sometimes they call you earlier than your appointment and you get out faster.

bring all the pages for whatever you are notarizing not just the signature pages. they want to read them. 

you cannot bring your cellphone into the embassy. just your papers. so be thinking about not being able to access info on your phone. 

the last time i did it the fee was $50 per signature. they had problems with my Bangkok Bank visa card. The one and only time it has ever been rejected in six years.  So be thinking about cash.

good luck.

• Like 2

In my one experience of not having they made without issues but if now that clearly stated you may be stopped at outside queue so would make a point to obtain myself - the office building with Au Bon Pain just to North have several photo/translation shops in second building lobby area that suspect could make - suspect they may use the copy to speed up process as they can check while you are making payment.  You leave phone at security entry and pick up when you leave so also have ID card for that (DL is normal).  You can pay in USD or Thai Baht or credit card.  

You also MUST have a printed copy of your "appointment confirmation" page (from their website) which has your name and appointment date and time.  Without this you will not be allowed to enter the Embassy for your Notary service and yes as UJ said, a copy of your passport (picture bio page) is what they want. 

You should also have the form you want notarized filled out, printed and ready to be notarized (although you can get blanks in the waiting area and they may be hand written but this is a last resort for those who make mistakes etc). 

They will let you in to the Embassy 15 minutes before your appointment time (no sooner than that) and don't be late.   Good luck! 

1 hour ago, WangSiyi said:

Has anyone had experience with the notary service at the US Embassy?

Wangslyl  why would you go to the effort of a notary at the US. Embassy? They charge $50 USD per page.  You can get documents notarized at many Thai law offices for far less than that. 

• Like 1

Just now, Thomas J said:

Wangslyl  why would you go to the effort of a notary at the US. Embassy? They charge $50 USD per page.  You can get documents notarized at many Thai law offices for far less than that. 

All of which could be questioned and not allowed outside of Thailand if push came to shove - Thailand is not signatory to the Hague Convention on Legalization of Foreign Public Documents.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

All of which could be questioned and not allowed outside of Thailand if push came to shove - Thailand is not signatory to the Hague Convention on Legalization of Foreign Public Documents.    

lopburi3  True but if the document was to be used in Thailand it is far easier to get done here.  I recently had to have a signature notarized for use in Hong Kong.  No problem with notary from law office.  Unless some use specifically calls for US Embassy notarization, a lot of hassle and more expensive. 

I had US government pension documents requiring notarized signature.  In Bangkok I was fortunate to find a great Thai lawyer who even came to my residence. Very professional, 1000 baht per signature. Documents then submitted by mail to US Government office and processed with no problems. 

What you need notarized will rule whether or not you need the US Embassy Notary service. 

Sold a Season Ticket to US Football team and my Thai lawyer was perfectly acceptable to notarize that paperwork, sold a house and could only use the US Embassy Service

Yes,  they take cards but have cash in case the machine goes down, saves the mad dash across the street to an ATM  

• Like 1

Recently had documents notarized at ACS.  Yes you must go on line and make an appointment and you DO need to print out the appointment information AND provide a photo copy of your identification document that should be your passport.  Many copy services are available in buildings adjacent to the ACS building as well as parking in the rear.  ACS is also very helpful.  If you live a long ways from the embassy or for any other reason need an afternoon appointment just email them with your appointment information, provide the reason you would prefer an afternoon appointment and you will get an email back with afternoon appointment options. 

16 hours ago, Thomas J said:

I had a document notarized by my Thai attorney rejected by the US Company that needed the form. They would only accept a notarization from a US embassy outside of the US. Very, very annoying, but what can you do?

• Like 1

They will not really  notarize documents.  What they do is have you fill in an affidavit where you attest to whatever you put on the the form is true.  If you say I have these documents and they are real, or words to that affect, they will notarize that you said that.  They really don't even need to see the documents.  I just had an affidavit done where I swore that three documents were true and accurate.

If you haven't already done so, you can download the blank affidavit from there web site.    

10 minutes ago, mcl2504 said:

I had a document notarized by my Thai attorney rejected by the US Company that needed the form. They would only accept a notarization from a US embassy outside of the US. Very, very annoying, but what can you do?

https://www.notarize.com/ 

i know was a rhetoric question but i used this online service before, was accepted in the US. 

21 minutes ago, mogandave said:

What did you use the notary for? 

Company related real estate, one of us was american tho, i am not sure if it's also open for other nationalities but if you are american this prolly works for nearly all stuff that doesn't require an apostille.

It's literally just a notary on a webcam/phone doing what the embassy would do too. In other countries i have done similar stuff via a lawyer/notary and a skype videocall. 

It's kinda an accepted standard in the US these days: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/business_law/publications/committee_newsletters/banking/2019/201907/fa_2/

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume your ID would be your passport. A copy of the photo page is needed.

The last time I was at the embassy it was fairly new  requirement and I did not have it. They made a copy of my passport then.

I don't think they would turn you away if you did not have a copy.

The last time I was there I had a copy. Apparently they didn't think it met their standards, so they still made their own copy without comment.

i also use a copy of passport to leave as ID with my mobile phone at security.

Edited by Suradit69

The whole issue of document notarization is a dark gray area in Thailand, because as noted above, Thailand isn't part of the international notary convention.

So it really depends on just what needs to be notarized, and who it's being notarized for, as to whether a Thai lawyer notary will suffice or whether the Embassy notary is required. Also, I think, there are some types of documents that the Embassy won't notarize at all.

There also, these days, are online notaries available in several states in the U.S. But last time I checked, those were pretty much as expensive as going the U.S. Embassy route.

It's a crazy, complicated, uncertain process to accomplish something here that often can be done for free (many banks, CUs, brokerages offer the service to their customers) or at a very minimal cost if you were back in the U.S. trying to do the same thing.

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think, there are some types of documents that the Embassy won't notarize at all.

I needed a Medallion signature guarantee on a document for my US broker and they were adamant that they weren't allowed to do that.  I did have them make a copy of my passport ID page which they certified as a true copy and a signature guarantee on their standard notary form that I was able to use in place of the Medallion guarantee with my US broker. Yes that was two items and thus two times the notary fee.

Services we CANNOT provide: 

U.S. law precludes the provision of notarial services in certain cases. Among others, Notarizing Officers cannot provide notarial services in connection with:

• Authentication, certification, or certified copies of public documents issued in the United States such as birth, residency, marriage, divorce, and death certificatescommercial records, driver’s licenseand other credentials. Such documents must be authenticated in the United States for use overseas; for additional details, please visit the Department of State’s Notarial and Authentication Services or the Office of Authentication, or call 1-800-688-9889.Please visit the National Center for Health Statistics webpage Where to Write for Vital Records for state specific information on how to request copies of vital records.
  • Certified true copies of non-U.S. documents, such as Thai birth certificates
  • Signature or Medallion guarantees:  A Medallion Signature Guarantee is not a notarial service, but rather a special procedure related to securities, which can only be performed by an authorized representative of a financial institution participating in a medallion program approved by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
  • Statements beyond the Consular Officer’s knowledge: e.g. that the document satisfies a specific legal requirement, that a person is the spouse of another, or an individual is an employee of a certain business or corporation.

•  

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/

Edited by Suradit69

12 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

I needed a Medallion signature guarantee on a document for my US broker and they were adamant that they weren't allowed to do that.  I did have them make a copy of my passport ID page which they certified as a true copy and a signature guarantee on their standard notary form that I was able to use in place of the Medallion guarantee with my US broker. Yes that was two items and thus two times the notary fee.

Would you mind sharing the name of your brokerage for other posters information

I was lucky in that I was able to get a Medallion guarantee at my US Credit Union since Fidelity were also adamant that it be on file if I wanted to send International Wires to Thailand.  So I did two, one for Bangkok Bank and another for SCB.  Fortunately they were free, as are the International wires 

5 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Would you mind sharing the name of your brokerage for other posters information

I was lucky in that I was able to get a Medallion guarantee at my US Credit Union since Fidelity were also adamant that it be on file if I wanted to send International Wires to Thailand.  So I did two, one for Bangkok Bank and another for SCB.  Fortunately they were free, as are the International wires 

Vanguard. On the application form Vanguard uses for SWIFT transfers they said I could get a Medallon signature guarantee or a signature guaranty from US embassy.  The embassy informed me that the SEC prohibited that being done by embassies on the application form. So I got the passport copy certified and did a notary form from the embassy which amounted to them notarizing my signature (probably the passport certification would have been enough ??) 

Sent those two, the Vanguard form and a cover letter explaining what the embassy would and would not do. Sent it all off by FedEx and within a few days I got the approval.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 9:35 AM, mcl2504 said:

MCl2504, Strange I had to get a signature guarantee by a commercial bank, or a CPA or a Notary for a Schwab account.  The banks here refuse to do a signature guarantee so I opted for the Notary.  They required his business card accompany the signature guarantee and they did call to verify his authenticity.  

Edited by Thomas J