Rooster's Year in Review 2: Pattaya, Scams, Weed and TM 30.....with a little Thai honesty for good measure!

rooster59

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

But the mother of all spats had to be that between Musk Melon and Vernon Unsworth played out online then in a Los Angeles courtroom. Despite the "paedo" slur Melon prevailed leaving the rest of us to wonder what constitutes acceptable behavior online. It would be true to say that the policing of the internet and its moderation is still decades behind the technology.

If you want a case that better constitutes what is acceptable behavior or not online, the various defamation cases against Alex Jones in the US, whose internet videos claiming that the Sandy Hook School massacre was a hoax, might be a better example.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/alex-jones-court-cases-sandy-hook-parents_n_5dc43b0be4b0055138845e0a

Edited by SkyFax

I was just skimming through this and read the part about the guy running the dog shelter “I found it interesting that neither the man nor his wife wanted to speak to me to put the record straight.” Why would he want to talk to you personally to “set the record straight”? 

36 minutes ago, DennisE said:

I was just skimming through this and read the part about the guy running the dog shelter “I found it interesting that neither the man nor his wife wanted to speak to me to put the record straight.” Why would he want to talk to you personally to “set the record straight”? 

I translated the story that made all sorts of claims about them so I contacted them for their side but they chose not to comment. Usually people are only too happy to speak to a reporter to put their side. This pair have much to put straight. 

Rooster

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

An interesting read as always, but three comments just leaped out at me...

"...Wider knowledge of the Thai language is still important in appreciating the news and the public should realize how they are manipulated for clicks and how news can be presented as much as an entertainment as an information source these online days..."

While I absolutely agree on the need to learn a local language, it is the comment that '{stories] are manipulated for clicks' that brings great sadness. I loved TVF in the past as on a daily basis there were numerous interesting reads on interesting subjects. Nowadays, sensationalism and outrage rule to the detriment of enjoyment and learning. It is unfortunate and leads me to simply close down my computer far, far more often than I used to.

"...Thailand really needs to take a long hard look at its defamation laws. They are largely counterproductive protecting the elite, big business and others at the expense of the people...."

Forgive me, but this is the most obvious statement that I have ever seen on TVF.

"...I hope that this will not lead to a "Singaporean" style 'dumbing down' of the vibrancy that is Thailand all in the name of "progress" and a military sense of order..."

Sadly, this has been going on since the coup, and is the reason why I rarely visit Bangkok anymore. As I noted a while back... The Junta has imposed the order of an Army base, but without the charm and/or the ambiance.

Sorry for the criticism, but sometimes things need to be said.

Happy New Year everyone, and I look forward to Rooster's writings again in the new year.

Cheers to one and all!

Perfectly reasonable comments. Thanks for usually being the first to comment. The column will soon be celebrating its 200th consecutive edition, and rest assured it will be continuing. I am glad it gets comment and provides some weekend pleasure!

Rooster

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Perfectly reasonable comments. Thanks for usually being the first to comment. The column will soon be celebrating its 200th consecutive edition, and rest assured it will be continuing. I am glad it gets comment and provides some weekend pleasure!

Rooster

Perhaps you'll be providing even more weekend pleasure. I see Andrew Biggs has just published his last column for the Bangkok Post.

22 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

I translated the story that made all sorts of claims about them so I contacted them for their side but they chose not to comment. Usually people are only too happy to speak to a reporter to put their side. This pair have much to put straight. 

Rooster

If you were potentially facing legal action do you really think it would be a good idea to be talking to the public about it? Just because people are writing stuff about him on Facebook doesn’t necessarily mean it’s all true. Is the man even facing any criminal charges? I haven’t heard of any. 

On 12/28/2019 at 11:42 AM, rooster59 said:

Though the forum continued to be dominated by a small number of members who are serial posters

Or since a big part of the long term staying farang posters have moved out there is only a small bunch of regular guys left that posts.