Chiang Mai Air Quality and Pollution

Cheesekraft

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Well you know the answer then.???? ✈️

I would but one night in SIN costs about the same as 5 nights in CNX.  When a country becomes a modern and efficient place most of us common folk cannot afford stay for long.  My belief is LOS will not become a modern efficient place in my life time (I am in my late 50's). This is actually a good thing for most of us long term foreign residents.  

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

My own device made by a CMU Professor in his lab....very reliable

Before I even looked at that high reading I could see coming from the north a thick hazy smog layer heading for where I live...it is now dissipating...but at 8am monitors at Tonkla are reporting readings of 116 and Ruamchok 70....both locations were reporting higher levels at 6am...

Edited by jeffandgop
  • Like 1

Wow!

In CM and finally looked outside - Doi Suthep is barely visible.

(Should have looked before I leaped with a comment).

On a SNDWAY getting PM2.5 of 84 to 89 = AQI 166 - 168!

Red Zone = (officially) Unhealthy = 151 - 200.

(Realistically - Healthy reading is Zero).

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

the air quality is great again ...

20230202.png

No need to ask why one of the reasons I live below Hua Hin.  75+ AQI is horrendous as far as I'm concerned.  Thankfully only a couple months a year down here, though getting worse every year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My kids are coughing, sore throat, brains can’t grow, skin destroyed, lungs destroyed….

I tell the 19 of them……..listen, Thailand is cheap!   Can’t have everything.   Save 11 baht, miserable life.  It’s worth it!     Take your life expectancy and subtract 10 years while being sick the last 20.

• Like 1

This is Nov22 vs last week.  Taken from Tops Supermarket about 6.5km in a straight line from the temple.

2073307147_airpollution.thumb.jpg.faedc2da22a4a0054abb90724eed0117.jpg

It's got worse since then.  I've been here since the start of November and yesterday and today have been the worst so far. 

At a distance of 6km, Doi Suthep was completely invisible.   My AQ monitor was reading 220 yesterday morning on my balcony.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/14/2023 at 2:55 PM, VocalNeal said:

I've been up north for 2 1/2 years now. It is what it is. No point complaining.

One wonders why the complainer still live up north.????

Not everyone, including millions of Thai, have the choice to just relocate. What an ignorant remark!

Edited by SoilSpoil
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2019 at 11:04 AM, canopy said:

Aside from this I completely agree with everything you said and I really enjoy and admire your upbeat attitude and incredible photos and inspiring experiences. To give you a comparison expats in my area tend to come from working class backgrounds, are overweight, in poor health, no fitness, poor diet, and their only care in the world seems to be saving a few baht at makro. They don't talk about air pollution and astonishingly I find many are in fact out there burning their plastic trash in their yards just like the thai's do. They don't have air purifiers or air monitors and they're bored to death if you bring the air up while drinking their cheap chang in front of them. I have yet to meet one expat that cares about the air pollution or even the environment. Thailand seems to attract a certain type of individual. I see there are a few concerned here at Thaivisa and that's good. But it's not a popular topic as clearly the lions share of expats are lamenting visa changes, TAT numbers, government competency, and those sorts of things which get more posts in a day than this subject will in a year.

And asking for clean air to breathe is not asking for perfection. It's asking the minority to stop being selfish and ruining the air everyone else is breathing and making innocent people sick and die for no good reason. It's just asking for the most basic courtesy and concern for others sharing the air, not perfection.

Finally, saying something just lops say the last 2 years off your life would indeed be ideal, but that's not how it works. You'll get ground down 2 years earlier. Everything goes bad 2 years before it should. You lose 2 good years, not 2 bad ones trimmed off the end. It can be difficult for some to accept part of short time we have on the earth being stolen by inconsiderate people whose habits would not be tolerated one bit where we come from and surely in the future, not in Thailand either.

Pardon my ignorance about the cause of smoky season.

What are you implying is the cause? 

- large numbers of people burning plastic rubbish in backyard?

- or, a small number of selfish people creating the smoky season (presumably through agricultural burnoff). 

Which?

40 minutes ago, rose33 said:

Pardon my ignorance about the cause of smoky season.

What are you implying is the cause? 

- large numbers of people burning plastic rubbish in backyard?

- or, a small number of selfish people creating the smoky season (presumably through agricultural burnoff). 

Which?

The correct answer is large numbers of rural farmers, small holders, contract farmers and large scale agricultural producers, particularly in Shan state and laos.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

The correct answer is large numbers of rural farmers, small holders, contract farmers and large scale agricultural producers, particularly in Shan state and laos.

... particularly in Shan state and laos ... all over thailand !!!!!!

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map/#t:adv;d:2023-02-25..2023-03-03,2023-02-25;@101.6,15.1,6z

FIRMS_2023-02-25_2023-03-03,2023-02-25[@101.6,15.1,6z].jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1