KBank not opening new accounts for non-Asean people unless on A-O (Retirement)?

4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Only thai Credit Cards have your name embossed. Not debit cards since years ago. 

The one before the present one had it on it , no credit card as i don't have credit card , as no need as both my 2 KKdebit cards work  with visa cover , also 2 web cards , so why would I block an amount equal to the credit line as my debit cards work same , except no name on it ….

Oh... Americans …., if no credit card their life ends ….5555 lol ????

On 1/4/2020 at 8:58 AM, RBOP said:

Sounds like its a branch issue. Try one of the larger branches. I get similar issues with Bangkok Bank. A branch near me always gives me an issue when I want to pay insurance overseas but head office on Silom never bats an eye. Another branch wanted a work permit when I wanted to open a fixed account for purpose of retirement visa.  I have always found Kasikorn to be one of the more difficult banks to deal with and a very rude customer service lady boy they make you talk to on the phone. 

any problems withdrawing the money after a certain amount without plans to leave the country? or having some type of hold placed on it from immigration?

there must be some reason they want funds in a thai bank and not just any bank.

still trying to figure out what that reason is.

2 hours ago, david555 said:

The one before the present one had it on it , no credit card as i don't have credit card , as no need as both my 2 KKdebit cards work  with visa cover , also 2 web cards , so why would I block an amount equal to the credit line as my debit cards work same , except no name on it ….

Oh... Americans …., if no credit card their life ends ….5555 lol ????

I said years ago. But I'm also in no need of a credit card as my thai debit cards works, my K-DEBIT VISA works everywhere,my Bangkok Bank MasterCard is a bit iffy,but together,no problem what so ever. I haven't used my VISA from back home in years. When having a Fixed Deposit Account it's actually possible to get a credit card using the money as a guarantee. 

Edited by Max69xl

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

"Not Thailand related tho"

What do you mean? I just told you about thai banks customer service.

I only meant to say it's a worldwide thing, not particularly thailand related.

No country in the world wants US customers in their banks due to stringent reporting to the US.

That also makes the US the biggest tax heaven, they are the only ones who don't give any data out. They just take and never give: https://www.forbes.com/sites/toddganos/2019/09/19/worlds-best-tax-haven-the-united-states/#562e5c494049

20 hours ago, SteveK said:

There are a lot of people on this forum who don't read the thread and post such things as:

"I opened an account easily at the first branch I went to".

What these people don't tell you is that:

1. They are retired. It's quite easy to open an account in Thailand if you are retired.

2. They did it many many years ago, maybe even before you were born.

3. They are working in Thailand legally and have a WP. Very easy to open an account with a work permit.

For the rest of us who are residing in Thailand, usually with a Thai wife - if you are under 50, and not working, the banks don't want to help you. I am so bored of people saying "that's rubbish because I opened an account on a visa-exemption with nothing more than my passport" because these people are just not reading the thread and being idiots.

It is very hard now to open a basic savings account in Thailand for people who are not retired and not working. Despite being married to a Thai national, because you are neither retired or working they can't understand how you could have money so you are instantly persona non-grata.

Now someone is going to post about how easily they opened their account, but will always fail to mention that they did it 20 years ago, or had a O-A visa or a work permit.

If you are under 50, don't have a work permit, then I would ask you just for fun to go into a big bank branch and try and open an account and then post on here what happens. It will be "mai dai" and if it's not I will buy you dinner and a beer.

It is still possible. I opened 2 new accounts last year (KTB, GSB). And I have no work permit and I am under 50.

It is still possible. I actually not had to check out many banks for it. GSB I opened in October and I go into the first branch and they had no problem at all. 

Yes there are branches which are more difficult but it's still possible to open a bank account with a marriage extension. But I always used my yellow book with me for opening the account (The wife wasn't with me). So at least in Bangkok I think it's not that difficult.

For Kasikorn, they want at least a longterm Extension/Visa else you can't forget it since begin of last year. And some branches give you more problens. I can't say I had problems in the past. Maybe I am lucky with choosing the right branch.

I even have Credit cards from 2 different banks (K-Bank, KTB). Which were not that difficult to obtain.

Oh I opened all my accounts in Bangkok. And I guess my K-Bank branch still would open an account for you when you have a married extension.

Edited by HampiK

2 hours ago, fhickson said:

any problems withdrawing the money after a certain amount without plans to leave the country? or having some type of hold placed on it from immigration?

there must be some reason they want funds in a thai bank and not just any bank.

still trying to figure out what that reason is.

You can repatriate your money if you're going back home. Immigration has nothing to do with your money except for the financial visa requirements.

The original reason was living expenses or money for a rainy day, like hospital costs. 

Edited by Max69xl

21 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I said years ago. But I'm also in no need of a credit card as my thai debit cards works, my K-DEBIT VISA works everywhere,my Bangkok Bank MasterCard is a bit iffy,but together,no problem what so ever. I haven't used my VISA from back home in years. When having a Fixed Deposit Account it's actually possible to get a credit card using the money as a guarantee. 

That's what I meant KK bankcard can be used as a credit card in Thai understanding  ….likewise a prepaid card , no credit on it , but works fine , same for the Kwebcard (virtual card ,as can be discontinued and made another one online )

Real credit card only as long credit on account = same as a pre paid card or KKdebit card ,so what's the use of it against the normal card ,as all works same as long money sufficient on account 

Edited by david555

7 minutes ago, HampiK said:

It is still possible. I opened 2 new accounts last year (KTB, GSB). And I have no work permit and I am under 50.

It is still possible. I actually not had to check out many banks for it. GSB I opened in October and I go into the first branch and they had no problem at all. 

Yes there are branches which are more difficult but it's still possible to open a bank account with a marriage extension. But I always used my yellow book with me for opening the account (The wife wasn't with me). So at least in Bangkok I think it's not that difficult.

For Kasikorn, they want at least a longterm Extension/Visa else you can't forget it since begin of last year. And some branches give you more problens. I can't say I had problems in the past. Maybe I am lucky with choosing the right branch.

I even have Credit cards from 2 different banks (K-Bank, KTB). Which were not that difficult to obtain.

The problem for retired expats with monthly deposits and using for example TransferWise, your choosen banks last year, KTB and GSB are useless.

And the post you answered was mainly about Bangkok Bank branches in BKK.

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

That's what I meant KK bankcard can be used as a credit card in Thai understanding  ….likewise a prepaid card , no credit on it , but works fine , same for the Kwebcard (virtual card ,as can be discontinued and made another one online )

One thing you can't use a debit card for is installments. Then you need a credit card. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

I only meant to say it's a worldwide thing, not particularly thailand related.

No country in the world wants US customers in their banks due to stringent reporting to the US.

That also makes the US the biggest tax heaven, they are the only ones who don't give any data out. They just take and never give: https://www.forbes.com/sites/toddganos/2019/09/19/worlds-best-tax-haven-the-united-states/#562e5c494049

I guessed you left out the word "particularly". 

10 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

One thing you can't use a debit card for is installments. Then you need a credit card. 

Hence my remark about Americans and their love for credit cards ….lol 5555 , when a card get's cut …. is like cutting their Aorta  ????

Edited by david555

10 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The problem for retired expats with monthly deposits and using for example TransferWise, your choosen banks last year, KTB and GSB are useless.

And the post you answered was mainly about Bangkok Bank branches in BKK.

Actually the post I answered he told nothing about Bangkok Bank.. he refered (as I read it) to any bank in Thailand! And actually he was talking if not have an retirement extension/Visa it's almost impossible to open one.

And Bangkok Bank in Bangkok is one of the maybe only banks which where it is still possible to open an account on a tourists Visa when you have a residence certificate from your embassy (which in many cases could be the problem).

I think with an retirement Visa/Extension it is still very easy to open an account in Bangkok. As this is the second easiest one after having an work permit!

11 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Another important thing on Credit card is that you become mostly a travel/accident Insurance for your trip when you pay it with the credit card. Which you not will have on a debit card. And the Insured sum then depends on the card ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HampiK said:

Another important thing on Credit card is that you become mostly a travel/accident Insurance for your trip when you pay it with the credit card. Which you not will have on a debit card. And the Insured sum then depends on the card ????

Thai bank debit cards exist with insurance  , but different priced and at 60/65 no cover anymore (accident or health)

11 minutes ago, HampiK said:

Actually the post I answered he told nothing about Bangkok Bank.. he refered (as I read it) to any bank in Thailand! And actually he was talking if not have an retirement extension/Visa it's almost impossible to open one.

And Bangkok Bank in Bangkok is one of the maybe only banks which where it is still possible to open an account on a tourists Visa when you have a residence certificate from your embassy (which in many cases could be the problem).

I think with an retirement Visa/Extension it is still very easy to open an account in Bangkok. As this is the second easiest one after having an work permit!

It wasn't SteveK's opening post. He started with complaining about the impossibility opening an account at Bangkok Bank in BKK when under 50 years old. I answered that I didn't agree with him and came with some options. For retired expats, though, especially from the US,UK and Australia with monthly income deposits, and who also wants the best exchange rate, you need to pick the correct bank, not any bank. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, david555 said:

Thai bank debit cards exist with insurance  , but different priced and at 60/65 no cover anymore (accident or health)

Higher annual fee and a quite low coverage of about 100,000 baht if you chose a debit card which is connected to a personal accident insurance at for example Bangkok Bank. I guess most of the thai bank has something similar. You can't get a health insurance if older than 59 (I checked some banks a year ago). You might even have to be a thai national, but I'm not sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mercman24 said:

thats a new one a bank refusing ccustom, there again i can see their point, with thai household debt  going throught the roof, they love preying on poor thais, us farangs are too rich, not good business, ha ha

Parking 400-800k in a bank for visa purposes is a very good business for every bank. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 11:29 AM, Max69xl said:

There's always been problems when changing the largest bank notes, especially when they're new. The currency doesn't matter. It can happen everywhere in the world. Many head offices which should know about new notes are to slow when it comes to informing branches.

Ok now I Know Thanks

On 1/4/2020 at 10:27 AM, recom273 said:

BKK bank are the worst, they need a document from the embassy.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

Bangkok Bank the worst?  I beg to disagree.

I tried various banks (in Phuket) and Bangkok bank was the one that worked for me.

I did NOT need any document from the Embassy.  For certain I did not need such. 

This was back in 2016, and I actually opened an account with a Bangkok Bank branch when on a Tourist Visa Exempt stamp (30 day) on my passport.  But I was careful as to the branch I selected, and I had my Thai wife with me to assist in the translation.  I had with me:

• paper from immigration noting my planned Thailand residence (paper only valid for 30 days) , which was also where I was staying at the time
  • my passport

I noted I was about to buy a condo, and planned to transfer a significant amount of money to their bank (as part of that condo purchase) so maybe that helped.

Edited by oldcpu

30 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

I tried various banks (in Phuket) and Bangkok bank was the one that worked for me.

This was back in 2016, and I actually opened an account with a Bangkok Bank branch when on a Tourist Visa Exempt stamp (30 day) on my passport.  But I was careful as to the branch I selected, and I had my Thai wife with me to assist in the translation.  I had with me:

• paper from immigration noting my planned Thailand residence (paper only valid for 30 days) , which was also where I was staying at the time
  • my passport

I noted I was about to buy a condo, and planned to transfer a significant amount of money to their bank (as part of that condo purchase) so maybe that helped.

I think, what this thread shows that there is no rhyme or reason. Some experiences differ from others - I can only post my experiences, people who stay in tourist areas may find it easier, sometimes it’s better to visit after lunch.

This derailed thread was about opening a second bank account at Kasikorn. Where the official line is if you are on a non-O you are permitted only one account 

Glad to say, after years of searching around my city I finally found an understanding ear at Kasikorn head office who spoke to a branch manager on my behalf and explained the logic, and enabled me to open a second account, but it’s been a struggle.

To those who bank with Kasikorn and the manager brushes you off or laughs at you, I would file an official complaint against the manager. If you have a sizeable amount in one account, have been with them for a length of tima and given a valid reason to open another account - they can’t just brush you off with a no, cannot - without a valid reason. The very least they can do is refer you to head office. 

4 hours ago, oldcpu said:

• my passport

I guess the paper you got from immigration was a Certificate of Residence, and that's still an "open Sesame" at Bangkok Bank when opening a savings account. 

3 hours ago, recom273 said:

I think, what this thread shows that there is no rhyme or reason. Some experiences differ from others - I can only post my experiences, people who stay in tourist areas may find it easier, sometimes it’s better to visit after lunch.

This derailed thread was about opening a second bank account at Kasikorn. Where the official line is if you are on a non-O you are permitted only one account 

Glad to say, after years of searching around my city I finally found an understanding ear at Kasikorn head office who spoke to a branch manager on my behalf and explained the logic, and enabled me to open a second account, but it’s been a struggle.

To those who bank with Kasikorn and the manager brushes you off or laughs at you, I would file an official complaint against the manager. If you have a sizeable amount in one account, have been with them for a length of tima and given a valid reason to open another account - they can’t just brush you off with a no, cannot - without a valid reason. The very least they can do is refer you to head office. 

"Where the official line is if you are on a non-O you are permitted only one account." 

There's no official rule like that at Kasikorn Bank. The new official requirements though, since March-April last year, are no foreigners allowed to open an account, with or without wp or retirement visa.

On 1/3/2020 at 2:32 PM, Peter Denis said:

Every branch-office of a thai bank can change/amend/ignore head-office rules and follow their own course (similar like the local IOs that can bend the overall IO regulations).

So if your local branch refuses to open an account for you, a customer for over 13 years!, you should politely demand (request is too soft a word) to speak to the local bank manager.

And if also he/she is unwilling to open an account for you, you should - on the spot - close all your existing accounts there and leave with the money, telling them you will find a more customer-friendly bank that will do business with you.

It's well possible that another KBank branch nearby will not turn you down, and otherwise a Bangkok Bank branch will for sure be happy to welcome you as customer.  

just a funny thing I have been trying for 18 months to open an account with Bangkok Bank ? they ask for a certificate of residence, but my IO have all of a sudden stopped issuing them? Kasikorn seem okish for the last ten years?

so in the end I switched my Visa instead, now the IO are not happy I have

changed my visa.....it is like the ''MAGIC ROUNDABOUT'' living in Thailand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zoza said:

just a funny thing I have been trying for 18 months to open an account with Bangkok Bank ? they ask for a certificate of residence, but my IO have all of a sudden stopped issuing them? Kasikorn seem okish for the last ten years?

so in the end I switched my Visa instead, now the IO are not happy I have

changed my visa.....it is like the ''MAGIC ROUNDABOUT'' living in Thailand. 

Some immigration offices for some reason stopped issuing Certificates of Residence for the reason of opening a bank account a couple of years ago. On the new form there are only two boxes to tick, Driver's license or Other. If using Other, DON'T use "Opening a bank account" as the reason. Use a believable reason, like "For UK authorities" or "For the German Tax Agency". Immigration doesn't have a clue what's needed back home when staying in Thailand long term. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Some immigration offices for some reason stopped issuing Certificates of Residence for the reason of opening a bank account a couple of years ago. On the new form there are only two boxes to tick, Driver's license or Other. If using Other, DON'T use "Opening a bank account" as the reason. Use a believable reason, like "For UK authorities" or "For the German Tax Agency". Immigration doesn't have a clue what's needed back home when staying in Thailand long term. 

I might be swimming against the tide here? but I do try and be truthful in 99.9% of my actions and words, it did flash past my monitor to use an application for driving licence, but I feel at times that nothing is straight

forward here, first the Embassy letters, then the proof of income from KKB ''DUMMY BRANCH'' so although I can get a retirement visa the P O R denial was in the last  bit of the bale of straw that pushed me to the marriage visa along with the Medical insurance that would cost 80,000 to 100,000 this year and maybe 180,000 next year (70yrs old) that with the Pre existing I could not use it

so it was either the marriage visa or an Agent so I went for three days in the IO and getting constantly asked why? I did explain but they did not care 

but I do want to be legit but the IOs seemed to have an Agenda  

Edited by zoza

31 minutes ago, zoza said:

I might be swimming against the tide here? but I do try and be truthful in 99.9% of my actions and words, it did flash past my monitor to use an application for driving licence, but I feel at times that nothing is straight

forward here, first the Embassy letters, then the proof of income from KKB ''DUMMY BRANCH'' so although I can get a retirement visa the P O R denial was in the last  bit of the bale of straw that pushed me to the marriage visa along with the Medical insurance that would cost 80,000 to 100,000 this year and maybe 180,000 next year (70yrs old) that with the Pre existing I could not use it

so it was either the marriage visa or an Agent so I went for three days in the IO and getting constantly asked why? I did explain but they did not care 

but I do want to be legit but the IOs seemed to have an Agenda  

If you need a Certificate of Residence for a bank account at Bangkok Bank and still want to be honest and you have to chose between Drivers License or Other, in this case  "Opening a bank account". They will probably say no if you chosed the bank account and you don't need the certificate for a drivers license. You really need the bank account,so what do you do? 

Why did several immigration offices stop issuing certificates for the reason of opening a bank account? No one knows. It wasn't a problem earlier at Jomtien Immigration and they know that Bangkok Bank prefers the certificate, especially the branch 80 meters from immigration on Soi 5. They used to charge 300 baht for the certificate,so what's the problem? 

That's why a believable reason is better. Something they can't question, because it could be true. It's in my opinion just a white lie. 

• Like 1

Just an update to my post number 122 on 5 January.

The situation regarding opening a bank account is probably generally unchanged - i.e. it depends on where you go and who you see but..............

I visited my branch of Kasikorn this week and was told categorically that I could not open another account without either a work permit or a retirement visa (I presume an extension based on retirement is the same). The young lady I talked to brought up a list of requirements on her phone which confirmed what she was saying. I called Kasikorn's call centre to ask about this and was told it was 'new rules'.

I didn't press the matter further as at the moment I don't hold a long stay visa - or any visa at all for that matter and therefore should not really have a bank account here.

40 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Just an update to my post number 122 on 5 January.

The situation regarding opening a bank account is probably generally unchanged - i.e. it depends on where you go and who you see but..............

I visited my branch of Kasikorn this week and was told categorically that I could not open another account without either a work permit or a retirement visa (I presume an extension based on retirement is the same). The young lady I talked to brought up a list of requirements on her phone which confirmed what she was saying. I called Kasikorn's call centre to ask about this and was told it was 'new rules'.

I didn't press the matter further as at the moment I don't hold a long stay visa - or any visa at all for that matter and therefore should not really have a bank account here.

Several condo owners are not staying long term in Thailand. They come once or twice a year on visa exempts or tourist visas,and they have thai bank accounts. If you already have an account at K-Bank, what's the reason you want to open another one?