Drunk driving no.1 crime this New Year season

rooster59

Drunk driving no.1 crime this New Year season

Tanakorn Sangiam

61f71970c9557690d861a82ad92c619f_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Courts processed 9,179 traffic cases during the seven dangerous days of the New Year holidays, with drunk driving the most common instance where both adults and youths were involved.

The Court of Justice Spokesman, Suriyan Hongwilai revealed today that 9,179 cases were filed for the violation of the traffic law at criminal courts, provincial courts, and district courts during the seven days of danger period, over the New Year holiday 2019. The court has already passed sentences in 9,293 cases. The number of completed cases exceeds those filed as the courts also delivered sentences on earlier cases as well.

Charges filed in Bangkok reached 375 cases, followed by Nakhon Ratchasima with 368 cases, Roi Et 348 cases, and Sakhon Nakhon 295 cases. The greatest number of violations were for drunk driving at 8,744 cases, driving without holding a valid driver’s license 1,354 cases, and reckless driving numbering 11 cases. Some individuals may have several charges filed against them.

Of the 61 traffic violation cases filed at the youth and family courts, 46 were for drunk driving, five for drug abuse, and one for reckless driving. These cases involve 61 accused, with 59 male and two female suspects. The charges against, and arrests of all 61 suspects, are proven to be legitimate.

nnd.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2020-01-04
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I don't think people here look at it as a crime.

Or the two expats who after being back in UK for Xmas I was talking to a couple of days ago. I asked how was Xmas at home?

Answer. Boring, went to visit the family by car and couldn't drink until I got back home again. Next year staying here so I can go out and enjoy drinking and drive home ok.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, overherebc said:

Or the two expats who after being back in UK for Xmas I was talking to a couple of days ago. I asked how was Xmas at home?

Answer. Boring, went to visit the family by car and couldn't drink until I got back home again. Next year staying here so I can go out and enjoy drinking and drive home ok.

Infected with Thainess

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Only one case of reckless driving !!!!  Thats hard to believe

This  is  my  argument for the BS  that is  speeding I disagree speeding is an issue, the  biggest  problem is reckless  driving, the  tossers  who drive up  your <deleted>  trying to  push you  out of  the way, the  ones who when turning right  jump to the front of  the  queue at the lights, the red light  jumpers, the u turners who  pull out  like tortoises when accelerating hard would be much safer, the lane swervers with no signalling the wrong side road  drivers............... but speeding is  way way down the list

The Kingdom has thousands of deaths in traffic each and every year. Only South Sudan or Libya score worse. About 30,000 people per year!

There simply is not the political will and determination to do something about it. In most other countries it would be the number one priority.

Ignorance and incompetence rule as before...

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Courts processed 9,179 traffic cases during the seven dangerous days of the New Year holidays, with drunk driving the most common instance where both adults and youths were involved.

With many courts treating first time DUI with leniency and just a small fine the deterrent just isn't there.

First time offenders should be hit hard, 25,000 baht fine and one year ban.
Second time offenders doubled to 50,000 baht fine and two years ban, six months in an army camp.

• Like 1