Happy New Year....immigration swoop on 83 year old Brit on 4,929 day overstay

rooster59

58 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

That incorrect you lose access to the NHS if you are out of the country for more than 3 months 

If you're moving abroad on a permanent basis, you'll no longer be entitled to medical treatment in the UK under normal NHS rules. This is because the NHS is a residence-based healthcare system.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/moving-abroad/planning-your-healthcare/

If you are a UK national, you have automatic right of abode in the UK. If you have been living abroad, you pass the ordinarily resident test on resuming settled residence here and are immediately entitled to free NHS non-emergency hospital care

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs25_returning_from_abroad_fcs.pdf.

THREE MONTHS?  I wasn't aware of that.  I thought it was 15 years.  I shall check your links.

11 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

I knew his brother Thomas also sadly gone now your NHS Bill is waiting Mr Cook????

What are you talking about? The NHS is FREE for Brits in the UK? Plus if your on a long term visa it's only something like £200 a year which covers all treatment. In the UK you are treated with dignity and respect. This poor old boy probably sold up his home in the UK built a house or bought a home in Thailand brining in foreign currency into Thailand. He hurt no one. I feel so sorry for him. This should send our alarm bells to anyone considering retiring to Thailand. Things change and you could end up losing everything and at an age you should have zero stress. I hope you have family back in the UK who care. 

• Like 1

"My point was that there are those who use corrupt but sanctified means to remain in this country, which immigration overlooks because it puts money into somebody's pockets."

And what does that have to do with this old man in question? Why do you assume he has anything to do with trying to falsify his stay given that he simply thumbed his nose at all immigration issues? 

People who might try to game the system are irrelevant here; he did not try to do this or, as another poster said, he'd not have needed to overstay. 

Edited by Trujillo

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

That incorrect you lose access to the NHS if you are out of the country for more than 3 months 

If you're moving abroad on a permanent basis, you'll no longer be entitled to medical treatment in the UK under normal NHS rules. This is because the NHS is a residence-based healthcare system.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/moving-abroad/planning-your-healthcare/

If you are a UK national, you have automatic right of abode in the UK. If you have been living abroad, you pass the ordinarily resident test on resuming settled residence here and are immediately entitled to free NHS non-emergency hospital care

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs25_returning_from_abroad_fcs.pdf.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but in that first link you posted, there is no mention that I can see of losing your NHS entitlement after only 3 months.  I did a quick Google and I can't see anything in the results that specifically tells me that.  

The second link is a very interesting read and I shall look at it in more depth later. 

EDIT - it seems that whether a permanent resident or not, emergency treatment at an A&E department is always provided free.

Edited by Mister Fixit

Yes, I am sure this man was a hardcore criminal.....yep....In the days of democracy-I overstayed for up to a year and nothing happened-I once went to good ol' soi suan plu (not they put it further out to make it harder) I once went in and spoke to an immigration officer and showed him my Passport saying and showing that I was a year overstay and "how do I get legal"-he did nothing...I simply payed the overstay fee as their "toll"-now you get hunted down, arrested, jailed, deported and banned....yes, Prayuth is a wonderful leader isn't he? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Oh, add to that, I would then come and go every month-you do a tourist visa re-entry now one or two too many times and get refused re-entry....and Thailand complains about low tourism-LOL-they make it impossible to stay in the country for more than a day....

11 hours ago, Old Croc said:

As usual the article leaves out the reasons for this character overstaying for so many years.  Everyone assumes the scant, published details are the full story. 

Of course the Thaivisa social workers all presume he is an exemplary character Just because he's achieved great age.

Unless you know him intimately how do you know he's led a good life? His decision to ignore the immigration laws of his adopted country suggest to me otherwise.

Remember the old adage, only the good die young. Some of the most infamous people on the planet reach high age.

if i were you I would change my username after what you just said Old Croc it's not very great????

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, BestB said:

Oh yeah, no doubt he was A hardcore criminal 

We just dont want his type here , giving us quality farlangs / aliens , a bad name .

Job well done , send him home to blighty ..

41 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

I'm not saying you are wrong, but in that first link you posted, there is no mention that I can see of losing your NHS entitlement after only 3 months.  I did a quick Google and I can't see anything in the results that specifically tells me that.  

The second link is a very interesting read and I shall look at it in more depth later. 

EDIT - it seems that whether a permanent resident or not, emergency treatment at an A&E department is always provided free.

Here is a reply from the Department of Health its 6 months not 3 as I previously stated 

Anyone who lives outside this country for more than six months is no
longer automatically entitled to free NHS hospital treatment.  If the
person is away on, for example, a one-off extended holiday, then they will
continue to be fully entitled to free hospital treatment as soon as they
return to live permanently in the UK.  

Right to NHS care if you have been on extended holiday of 6 months or longer.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/right_to_nhs_care_if_you_have_be

2 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Almost as bad as being black, so I'm told.

However that said, the majority of black guys , are good guys .

As for aliens, well thats another story ...

Edited by elliss

15 hours ago, colinneil said:

How pathetic coming out with a comment like... Got to rid Thailand of criminal elements and foster peace and stability in the Kingdom.????

Silly bug++r is just a long time overstayer, criminal, seriously!!!

So you want as many different rules for as many different persons and situations?

What is the use of law then? 

Think after 13y he knew the rules good enought to know this was what he had comming sooner or later.

Do i pitty him? Sure because he have to leave everything he have behind and probably nothing is waiting for him in the UK.

But i don't feel sorry for him.

3 hours ago, Trujillo said:

"There's no need for ignorance. A lot of things are out of the control of elderly people. "

I can't wait to get old and then the laws no longer apply to me. 

Maybe you won't have to wait long. Such comments already suggest a feebleness of mind...  

The discussion was about the possible reasons why the 83 year-old was on overstay, not whether or not the laws applied.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Do you think everything is in databases in Thailand since 13 years back? It's more likely that someone snitched on him. 

Why wouldn't they have databases going back to 2006? It wasn't the dark ages back then - Immigration did have computers. Even if they didn't (have a database), they could build one. All they would need is a list of people who entered and never left.

Edited by tropo

16 hours ago, EricTh said:

This goes to show these TM30 and 90day reportings are a waste of time. 

Why do immigration need to take 13 years to nap an overstayer when everything is in the computer system?

This is laughable.

I have said all along that the new requirements would simply lead to some leaving and many more overstaying and we shall see soon enough.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Edwin Cameron said:

I want to know why this gentleman wasn't accorded the right of his own 'White Board' complete with pictures of this criminal, who is responsible for this blunder..?? shame on you 'Big Joke' this is discrimination at it's worst..!

Naw..'Big Joke' is out....and 'Big Foot' is in...????

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, yogi100 said:
  8 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

ZERO sympathy.

He knew exactly what he was doing when he was 70........13 yrs ago.

Blatant overstays like this deserve jail time before deportation

What would jail achieve ?

Jail is designed to not only "punish, but also act as a deterrent, doubt he will attmept a further overstay anywhere

12 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

What would jail achieve ?

Jail is designed to not only "punish, but also act as a deterrent, doubt he will attmept a further overstay anywhere

You are directing that remark at me while quoting a post by Captain 776. I agree with you.

I never mentioned jail in my post.

Edited by yogi100