i think the OP is confusing it with the minimum amount a farang needs to earn to renew his work permit.

I've never EVER heard anyone complaining about getting a tax refund before. I guess it just goes to show - farang in Thailand will try to find a negative in anything and everything.

i think the OP is confusing it with the minimum amount a farang needs to earn to renew his work permit.

I've never EVER heard anyone complaining about getting a tax refund before. I guess it just goes to show - farang in Thailand will try to find a negative in anything and everything.

errrrrrrrr no.

look at the post, did i complain??

I have been to told to go and collect a refund of 5,000 baht.

What I couldn't undertstand was that if I have to have a minimum income of 50k a month (for the non imm b extension I got) and that amount has been paid every month even though I have declared that I have earned more than they why I would be due a refund

The accountant sumply said go and collect it. I was merely wondering if anyone could shed some light on the matter. But hey, thanks for your input. If you could spare the time perhaps you could explain how saying

" I have had a letter through saying i need to go and collect a tax refund.

If (as a farang) they set a minimum value that I must pay every month in tax why would they issue a refund?"

is complaining about it?

I have had a letter through saying i need to go and collect a tax refund.

If (as a farang) they set a minimum value that I must pay every month in tax why would they issue a refund?

It all depends on how much (%) the company is withholding for taxes. Some withhold more then necessary, some less and some the exact amount. If any exemptions changed during the year then and not changed in the withholding, less tax is necessary when filing. In my case it was exact so no payment nor return.

AFAIK there is only a minimum withholding tax (15% i think), to be paid to the revenue department every month.

At the end of the year the correct tax gets calculated on your taxable income. Your taxable income is your earned income minus the allowed deductibles and allowances.

For regular employees a fixed amount of 40% (but not exceeding 60,000 Baht) is deductible.

Allowances mainly depends on your family status, e.g. married, children etc.

You get a 30,000 Baht fixed personal allowance, another 30,000 if you're married, 15,000 Baht per child (not more then three), another 30,000 Baht for parents over 60 years with an income of less then 30,000 Baht and so on.

If an accountant is not correctly informed of your family situation, it is very well possible he pays in to much withholding tax, since he is not deducting the full amount allowed under the law from to calculate your taxable income.

In this case when the final tax bill comes, you will be entitled to a refund...

Most amazing is the fact that in order to get the refund, the OP must have filed (or had done on his behalf) a return that calculated the tax for the year due and showed the amount deducted monthly and any delta, which in this case appears to 5k..

Maybe the OP should ask for a copy of the return that was filed for him. I sign a power of attorney letter each year that allows our accountant to sign and file my return. I then get a translated and Thai copy.

TH

Before I got my latest extension of my non-imm B visa, the immigration demanded a por.dor 91........the famous income tax declaration form. This form showed a refund of THB 1,593 over 2548.

I thought: "Yeah, yeah, TiT" and I didn't count on an acutal refund.

At the end of February I really received a cheque of THB 1,593.....amazing.

1 month later our HRD took care of the por.dor 91 over the fiscal year 2549 and guess what? I had to pay an extra THB 3,500 on top of my monthly THB 3,065.